[435] Bonus Damage Strings should be changed from x to +

Sensuki

Question

Aside from the Might Attribute, bonus damage in Pillars of Eternity is displayed as a damage multiplier.

Fine: x1.15 Damage

Sneak Attack: x1.25 Damage

I believe this is somewhat confusing, especially to people who don't know how damage calculation is handled in the game, because nowhere at all is the formula for damage calculation explained anywhere, so people will not know whether damage multipliers are multiplicative or additive.

To avoid this confusion, a simple change to the way damage multipliers are displayed would suffice - change them to look like the Might multiplier display, as damage multipliers are now additive.

Might displays as +30% damage in the Character Record, so ...

Fine could become +15% damage
Sneak Attack could become +25% damage

That way people can easily work out that 15+25 = +40% damage.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

7 answers to this question

This might be confusing with procs though (+25% Crushing Lash), so I would label the lashes as a proc or put something in there about them to distinguish the difference, because their maths are completely different to a usual damage bonus.

There should be something about them in the encyclopedia tbh.

This might be confusing with procs though (+25% Crushing Lash), so I would label the lashes as a proc or put something in there about them to distinguish the difference, because their maths are completely different to a usual damage bonus.

There should be something about them in the encyclopedia tbh.

Wait.. Lashes are procs, not straight +25% to dmg? If procs, then what kind of damage they do?

either combat log nor character sheet records extra damage from Lashes applied to weapons in any way.

I assumed they simply do not work and was about to submit a bug..

Edited by Veevoir

what does the term Proc mean ?

I don't get it.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

what does the term Proc mean ?

I don't get it.

Programmed Random OCcurrence. Typically used when an ability goes off randomly when you hit something, like a sword doing bonus fire damage 5% of the time.

Edited by Valmy

Well, because you hit randomly, I guess anything to do with combat is really a Proc then ?

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Well, because you hit randomly, I guess anything to do with combat is really a Proc then ?

While you are technically correct (the best kind of correct!) this is not what people mean when they use the term.