steam, will there be preload?

That's the plan. When the game's released, you can log in on the portal and choose a key from either service. Just one or the other, unless your tier includes additional digital copies.

Or maybe a few days early, considering they're planning to allow pre-loading.

Thanks for the reply.

Time to flee from the spoilers again.

How big is GOG download going to be? If it's 25 gigs to download and then another 25 gigs to install then I'm going to have to do some cleaning up of my hard drive. I only have a 120 gig SSD on my Surface, so, yeah... :(

Right now the game is at around 14 GB installed.

Each installer is different, so I am not sure I can give you specifics. Right now the Steam installer is around 6 or 7 GB. Our physical disc installers are around the same. I would hope that GOG ends up being similar.

• Like 3

I was wondering whether one can specify an individual download system for each key? Personally i'll be using GOG, but I have extra keys to distribute and wonder whether they can be Steam or GOG enabled. Not really a problem as most people I know have accounts with both, but worth asking I think.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I was wondering whether one can specify an individual download system for each key? Personally i'll be using GOG, but I have extra keys to distribute and wonder whether they can be Steam or GOG enabled. Not really a problem as most people I know have accounts with both, but worth asking I think.

I will have to check with Darren to be sure, but I think each reward can have a different distribution platform. You just choose it when you redeem that specific key. If you run into any problems with that, just send an email to support@obsidian.net and we will hook you up with the correct keys.

• Like 3

Much obliged Mr Adler.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Should players who downloaded from GOG expect significantly slower delivery of game patches, like more than one day after the Steam update has arrived?

Unless GOG streamline things... yeah, probably, unfortunately. It's pretty much the only issue with GOG, from my POV. I remember one early Wasteland 2 patch that was neglected completely for days, if memory serves. Apparently GOG does some internal testing and recompile things for their own installer(s) and such, or something to that effect.

That said, they better have all hands on deck come the release of PoE.

t50aJUd.jpg

I believe GOG may well be rolling out their Galaxy service early next month, an alternative to Steam, so the patches may be applied more succinctly.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

That would be cool. I don't want the DRM, but I want the hours counter and fast patches. :)

choices choices XD

btw since steam is using my local currency, the full price of this game is USD 23 for me. (transferred from 299,000 IDR) and that's alot cheaper than gog.

• 4 weeks later...

It's 9 days until release. I hope this pre-load thing pushes through. 3rd world country internet speed really sucks. It took me 2 days to download a 20gb game on Steam. 

I really want to play this game badly on day 1. I even reformatted my PC just for PoE lol. 

I know this has kind of been answered here, but which would you recommend to download from: Steam or GoG?

Speaking on DRM terms, as long as you have access to your Steam account, wouldn't that be basically the same thing as having that game be DRM free? You would still be able reinstall the game from Steam if your hard drive crashed and you had to replace it, right? The reason I love DRM free so much is because of hardware failures like that (from joyous multiple experiences).

The only issue I have with GoG is that I have to call my bank after a make a purchase through them to unlock my bank account and let the payment go through. Since they are outside the US, my bank automatically flags it as a fraudulent purchase.

I think there will be preload because most popular games have one

I bought on GoG though

I would have to agree with you there, since most popular games have a preload option.

I just pre ordered the hero edition on GoG, but I'm not sure if they have a preload option.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

I ordered my Champion edition off of Green Man Gaming so i really hope they activate and post the key to my account a day or two early so i can utilize the pre load. I guess if it doesnt happen that kind of sucks but it is not the end of the world and i have a fast internet connection so i wouldnt lose too much time. I hope. Even with the release being over a week away, i still check my GMG account to see if the key is posted a few times a day lol. On my games page next to Pillars of Eternity, it does say key not available until game release so unfortunately im expecting not being able to pre load so it will be a nice surprise if i am able to.

Edited by Zazzaro