steam, will there be preload?

i have slow internet (about 5MbPS, which transfer to 500~KBPS in download) and the game is about 25GB which will take >15 hours to download. i hope we can download the files several days before release so i can play right after the game unlocks.

i just pre ordered the hero edition (that's all i can afford right now :p)

I'm solely guessing here (sorry), but I'd say no. GOG "never" does pre-loads, so I'm guessing they will want to keep it "fair". Giving people the chance to start playing at roughly the same time. And OH MY GOD the game is actually listed as 25 GB in size. This is tough.

The largest area in the beta (in file size) is 146MB. There are 170 areas in the game. There are some areas that will be larger than that. The smallest area is 4MB. So yeah ... I can see 25GB being about right. That's what I thought it would be.

• Like 1

First, OP, if you're paying for 5 Mb/s but only get 500 KB/s Down, you should probably get a new ISP. It is very common that Upload speed is restricted (usually at a 1/10 rate) but marketing something as 5 Mb/s but only provide 500 KB/s Down sounds fishy as hell.

I think I heard that we would be able to pre-load it but maybe I dreamed that.

I didn't want to say anything, but I have this vague recollection of that, too. Not sure where I picked it up, anyway. When I'm getting the game, it's via GOG, either way, so it doesn't really matter.

I'm solely guessing here (sorry), but I'd say no. GOG "never" does pre-loads, so I'm guessing they will want to keep it "fair". Giving people the chance to start playing at roughly the same time. And OH MY GOD the game is actually listed as 25 GB in size. This is tough.

I doubt Obsidian would interfere with that, really. Digital distribution is up to Steam/GOG to decide themselves, and "pre-loading" is just a feature that Steam has that GOG doesn't. On the flipside, GOG gives you the game forever and never mucks with it, but Steam gives no such guarantee.

I'd be surprised if there's no preload on PoE for Steam users.

t50aJUd.jpg

Nah, don't think so. At least not for that reason. Limiting everyone because some decline to use Steam would be equally unfair.

That said, I do hope there will be a preload. They have to do a gold master close to release for the physical rewards anyway so it seems natural to upload that version for preload and update from there.

First, OP, if you're paying for 5 Mb/s but only get 500 KB/s Down, you should probably get a new ISP. It is very common that Upload speed is restricted (usually at a 1/10 rate) but marketing something as 5 Mb/s but only provide 500 KB/s Down sounds fishy as hell.

no it's the right one.

the promoted speed is 5 megabit (with lower case Mb) and downloads usually use Bytes (with upper case B, like MB). 5 Mbps translate to 625KBPS, which is pretty much my usual peak download without browsing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=5megabit+to+kilobytes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

when browsing stuff like forums, imgur, facebook, depend on the page load size it can go down, so i put average 500 KBps

• Like 2

GOG gave their users the option to preload The Witcher 2 so maybe something similar could be arranged for Pillars of Eternity? Or maybe that was just an exceptional case given GOG's direct relationship with CDPR.

• Like 1

"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."

ALDNOAH ZERO

In todays world 25gb is considered "ok" gta5 needs 65gb  :w00t:  so that has pre-load feature at steam.

Yeah, no kidding. I've downloaded ~32GB since I got up this morning, like, 5 hours ago. And by that I don't mean that it took 5 hours, just that it's about what I've downloaded since I got up. 25GB is nothing in today's market. I realize that we shouldn't squander digital space and bandwidth on principle, but by comparison, 25GB really isn't that much.

t50aJUd.jpg

Of course there are several good examples for games with 25 GB and more. BioShock Infinite with all DLC has about 40 GB. The vast majority of games however (and not just older ones) are still significantly below that. But that's all besides the point anyway. Most people still need quite some time to download 25 GB. Of course PoE will be worth it, but it'll be longer than just a short while. That is all.

OP, trust me, you have a good opportunity to learn taking things phylosophically there. I know what I'm talking about since it took me three days to download Wasteland 2, day and night wuthout pauses. :)

Btw, 25 Gb is required disk space for an installed game, and what about distributive? Doesn't Steam compress data somehow to spare bandwith? GoG does. IRC Wasteland 2 GoG distributive was 9 Gb in size and took 21 Gb on disk after unpacking.

• Like 1

I'm so glad we can pre-load. I only have satellite for internet and our monthly cap is 25 GB, but we have unlimited between Midnight and 5am. With the discs not being shipped with the physical items it means I'd need to wait till non-peak hours to download, and I really didn't want to wait till the next day to play. 

(I'm also glad I finally got my dad to agree to satellite, before we had to use our cellphones data t and that was limited to 10GB a month period. Ugh. That was really horribad. No youtube, no hulu, no netflix, no downloading anything unless you spent forever at the library with their slow connection.)

How big is GOG download going to be? If it's 25 gigs to download and then another 25 gigs to install then I'm going to have to do some cleaning up of my hard drive. I only have a 120 gig SSD on my Surface, so, yeah... :(

"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."

ALDNOAH ZERO