Buying drinks = hearing gossip, news, etc.

Odd Hermit

Started up an IWD game which made me think of this, and I really like it. It gives a sensible purpose to buying drinks beyond getting temporary status effects and just adds to the atmosphere/immersion a bit. 

Perception could add to your chance to pick up relevant information, while constitution could obviously determine how much liquor you could hold before negative effects or passing out.

Could still buy drinks as potions separately somewhere.

Edited by Odd Hermit
  • Like 1

Trouble with that is information found in a tavern is like information on the internet - some good some bad and little or no way to tell the difference between the two... :biggrin:

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

True. But i think "Legends of Eisenwald" implemented this very well. Rumors in taverns are often totally unbelievable. But some are true, and it's not always the ones we thought. A pity that this game has such a lack of visibility.

But agree, such a feature adds some unvaluable flavor.

Hmmm... I don't recall using that feature much in IWD. In general, I find taverns in RPGs a little like sex in RPGs. Two fun things in real life, but in a game, they're pointless & a waste of gold.

If you want players to frequent taverns, I think you need to make use there are a lot of interesting NPCs hanging out there regularly.

• Like 1

In fact, the rumours you can hear in taverns should have a real usefulness (that's why i spoke about "Legends of Eisenwald"). And in PoE, sems that alcohol has actually some gameplay relatated effects (some DR i guess). But i agree that if it's just for flavor, you try it sometimes because of roleplaying, but that's all. In Divinity Original Sin, paying for sex triggers a quest at some point of the game, too, which otherwise would have never triggered.

Edited by Abel

Never really used it in the IE-games (since booze was just costing gold, and only negative effects), but if you could acquire some with good effects (unless taken in too high dosages) this would be a welcome addition along it :)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee