Balance Discussion

Sensuki

Where are you getting that Fast Aim from?

It's Swift Aim, a Ranger's modal.

aeonsim referred to it as talent, not ability, and called it "Fast Aim", not Swift Aim. That's why I'm asking if there is a new talent I'm not aware of.

It was the Ranger Modal ability Swift Aim, 1.2x Attack speed, 1.5x Reload rate.

aeonsim referred to it as talent, not ability, and called it "Fast Aim", not Swift Aim. That's why I'm asking if there is a new talent I'm not aware of.

I didn't see any Fast Aim in the latest BB for the ranger which I leveled up to level 8, so I took it to mean Swift Aim (which is not a 50% bonus either but 20%).

I got the name wrong but the Reload rate is correct it's 1.5x Reload speed (50% bonus) while the Attack speed component is (1.2x) for Guns the reload rate is the major slowing factor so it makes a big difference especially combined with the Gunner talent (x1.2 Reload rate) and high Dex which combine to give something like 50% faster Attack Speed (1.3 + 1.2) and 70% Faster reload (1.5 + 1.2).

Edit: Also, Wizards have to be too close for how fragile they are for a lot of their spells. The range limits and AoE sizes on Wizard spells are laughably inconvenient relative to Druid, especially since Druids are substantially less fragile.

I rather suspect that there was some internal expectation that they'd be able to get wizard defensive self-buffs up to give-a-damn levels and that'd make up for it a bit, but that's just rank speculation on my part. Even if they pulled it off, that'd still be a suspect option since you'd be burning a spell to do damage and another spell to stick your nose in safely in the first place, which is a rough deal compared to just casting Blizzard and calling that a solid enough contribution.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the problem with the wizard class is that it's actually kinda hard to define what sort of spell effects wizards should be built around when you've ruled out most of the gonzo table top stuff and have already granted squatter's rights on many effects to other classes. I kinda feel like they asked themselves "What defines a wizard?" and couldn't come up with a better answer than "Grease, Magic missile, Ghoul Touch and Fireball." The class is a kitchen sink full of unrelated effects like in D&D, just without the synergistic benefits of pre-combat summoning and buff routines.

Edited by Whipstitch
  • Like 2

Relative Creature Accuracy against PCs of the same level:

VrZGJBX.png

* Bears are awesome, sadly someone reported a bug about this, but maybe it won't get changed for release.

* If we exclude bugged creatures (bear/antelope/boar) and boss monsters (ogre/dragons), every enemy in the game falls within a narrow 10 accuracy band.

* Take three more monsters off that list (shade/wurm/shadow), and every remaining same level enemy is within five accuracy of each other.

* Since relative enemy accuracy never increases, every deflection bonus is essentially is making you stronger and stronger compared to same leveled enemies (duh, you might say, but this doesn't have to be true, for instance if enemies had larger accuracy gains, you would need deflection just to keep pace and not fall behind)

* Enemy deflection follows a similar trend, though it's considerably fuzzier both because of stat bonuses and better balancing.  In the end though, enemies never really become more powerful compared to you and only become easier to hit.

Anyway, this game's gonna be hella at easy at high levels.  Just like most games.  I guess that's not really a surprise to anyone.

• Like 1

Relative Creature Accuracy against PCs of the same level:

VrZGJBX.png

* Bears are awesome, sadly someone reported a bug about this, but maybe it won't get changed for release.

* If we exclude bugged creatures (bear/antelope/boar) and boss monsters (ogre/dragons), every enemy in the game falls within a narrow 10 accuracy band.

* Take three more monsters off that list (shade/wurm/shadow), and every remaining same level enemy is within five accuracy of each other.

* Since relative enemy accuracy never increases, every deflection bonus is essentially is making you stronger and stronger compared to same leveled enemies (duh, you might say, but this doesn't have to be true, for instance if enemies had larger accuracy gains, you would need deflection just to keep pace and not fall behind)

* Enemy deflection follows a similar trend, though it's considerably fuzzier both because of stat bonuses and better balancing.  In the end though, enemies never really become more powerful compared to you and only become easier to hit.

Anyway, this game's gonna be hella at easy at high levels.  Just like most games.  I guess that's not really a surprise to anyone.

Considering there difficulty design involves increasing the numbers, types and positioning of the creatures you fight it may not be as easy as you think, epecially on PoD where you need to add between 6-10 ACC to each enemy, plus additional damage and health and more of them.

I think that was me (either that or I posted in the thread about it).

/Sawyerism

codextrollface.png

• Like 1

I think that was me (either that or I posted in the thread about it).

/Sawyerism

codextrollface.png

Sensuki, we've talked about this! There goes another puppy! D:

t50aJUd.jpg

Considering there difficulty design involves increasing the numbers, types and positioning of the creatures you fight it may not be as easy as you think, epecially on PoD where you need to add between 6-10 ACC to each enemy, plus additional damage and health and more of them.

All the PotD bonuses I've seen seem to be flat.  +15 acc/all defenses and +25% endurance.  Don't know about the damage bonus, but I'd be really surprised if it was dynamic.  

And yeah, going up or down a difficulty setting is gonna change stuff, but within each difficulty, I think it's only going to get easier.  

Edited by roguelike