Balance Discussion

Sensuki

They may know (and it is good they do!), but it gives a hell lot of control - you engage them on your terms (and with own traps), which makes this spell really useful. Especially if you scouted out the location with a sneaky character first :)

Nice. Maybe wizard ain't *that* bad.

Wall of Fire is currently bugged and doesn't hit enemies correctly.

Does anyone know whether the DR bypass on spells implemented as 0 second DoTs is intentional?  Seems weird that Ionic Projection just randomly ignores DR.

Write it up as a bug IMO.

Edited by Sensuki

Graze reduces the damage by half, regardless of DR / DR bypass right? I just noticed that if you use Vulnerable Attack (DR reducing modal) with monk unarmed, your graze damages are reduced only by 1/4. Is this a bug, or am I missing some mechanic?

ie 

monk without VA : 15 hit damage / 7,5 graze damage 

monk with VA : 20 hit damage / 15 graze damage. 

As far as I could see, unarmed monk attacks are the only ones affected like this. Vulnerable attack is very valuable for monks in this scenario. 

poemonk01_zpslec1flqh.jpg

Why is dexterity called that...they should rename it to speed. 

If anything they should have done away with resolve and used both dexterity and speed(D:OS does stats well).

Perception and Dex could have shared accuracy at + 1 each while Perception still does interrupt and Dex adds +1 Deflection

Speed would do what Dex does now and also give + 1 deflection.

Perception: +1 accuracy and interrupts

Dex:            + 1 accuracy +1 Deflection

Speed:        + Action Speed +1 Deflection

Add interrupt defense to Con and/or armor.(many people think con doesn't do enough anyway)

Mig:             + Damage/Healing,                                                       or  + Damage/Healing, Fatigue Resistance

Con:            + Endurance, Health, Fatigue Resistance                     or  + Endurance, Health, Resist Interrupt

Perception:  +1 accuracy and interrupts

Dex:            + 1 accuracy, +1 Deflection

Speed:        + Action Speed, +1 Deflection

Int:               +AoE, + Duration

I know I'm late to the stat party but I think i'd rather play with the above than what's current. Personally I'd have no interrupt system or an interrupt system that is weapon/armor based rather than stat based.

Also does the IE mod still remove recovery while moving or did the base game finally take care of that?

Sensuki, can you explain to me how the element damage weapon enchants work?  If you get the fire one, does a weapon attack deal 25% of the "normal" damage as additional fire damage?

Yep, I'll make a video about it tonight

Sensuki, can you explain to me how the element damage weapon enchants work?  If you get the fire one, does a weapon attack deal 25% of the "normal" damage as additional fire damage?

Yep, I'll make a video about it tonight

Yeah I'd appreciate an explanation of that too. Am I correct in thinking that the various Lash effects stack? So like a cipher's soul whip lash and an electric weapon lash and a bard burning weapon lash song should all stack, since one's passive, one's a weapon enchant, and one's active?

Why is dexterity called that...they should rename it to speed. 

If anything they should have done away with resolve and used both dexterity and speed(D:OS does stats well).

Perception and Dex could have shared accuracy at + 1 each while Perception still does interrupt and Dex adds +1 Deflection

Speed would do what Dex does now and also give + 1 deflection.

Perception: +1 accuracy and interrupts

Dex:            + 1 accuracy +1 Deflection

Speed:        + Action Speed +1 Deflection

Add interrupt defense to Con and/or armor.(many people think con doesn't do enough anyway)

Mig:             + Damage/Healing,                                                       or  + Damage/Healing, Fatigue Resistance

Con:            + Endurance, Health, Fatigue Resistance                     or  + Endurance, Health, Resist Interrupt

Perception:  +1 accuracy and interrupts

Dex:            + 1 accuracy, +1 Deflection

Speed:        + Action Speed, +1 Deflection

Int:               +AoE, + Duration

I know I'm late to the stat party but I think i'd rather play with the above than what's current. Personally I'd have no interrupt system or an interrupt system that is weapon/armor based rather than stat based.

Also does the IE mod still remove recovery while moving or did the base game finally take care of that?

It's too late to remove resolve, it's involved in plenty of dialogue checks by now I'm sure.

My take on the stats -

____

Might: Hard to judge due to damage modifier stacking being out of hand at the moment. Strongest stat for most classes. Fatigue resist is best left on athletics IMO.

Con: Adding interrupt resist is a good idea, but it also needs to add more stam/resolve for squishy classes. % based isn't working.

Dex: I personally prefer might for casters, because if you're limited to spells/day it's better to get the most out of them than burn through them faster. Cipher though is pretty nice with it. Adding accuracy could help it but last time we had +accuracy on stats I rolled everything with casters too hard(high accuracy on AoE CCs = on the overpowered side).

Per: Pretty strong stat for tankers(+deflection helps, but interrupting is another way of mitigating damage) and dual wielders.

Int: Super strong stat for casters and even fighters/rogues can get get decent use out of extended blinds and knock-downs. I think it could use a nerf, and/or Druid vs. Wizard/Priest AoE size needs more careful balancing.

Res: Strong stat for tankers, a decent place to throw excess points for casters.

____

I'll have to wait until next beta build assuming we get one to really tinker though, since dex is borked and I believe interrupts are as well in this build. I've been leaving dex @ 10 just to not have its broken-ness factor into my builds.

So how does the secondary damage come into play? Cyclopedia says any "secondary damage" like enchanted poison on a dagger for instance will only be applied if the first main physical attack lands, then only will the fortitude check for poison occur afterwards. How does that affect damage per say? I hope this question makes sense, I apologize for my bad mechanics knowledge. 

Calibrating...

Hello BB master Sensuki :)

I have a few questions as well:

i would like to see a comparison between the AoE Increase of a High intellecet and a Low intellect character, im planning to play as a high intellect Barbarian and to my knowledge there is not range shown for the Carnage attacks which makes me wonder how big the difference is regarding intellect.

also i would like to know how range of the weapon factors into that (since there are weapons with higehr reach (is that true for all 2 handers or only for pole weapons btw? ))

then another thing is damage and accuracy of carnage attacks, the Wiki article says its less. but not by how much. Also is elemental damage factored into that as you showed above?

if you could dedicate some time to that it would be most appreciated.

Regardless if you have time for that or not, i saw your dedication to the project, im a QA guy myself and i know how tedious Bug testing can be. Having the same dedication through the whole development is a rare skill and i thank you for the work you put into the game, kudos.

So how does the secondary damage come into play? Cyclopedia says any "secondary damage" like enchanted poison on a dagger for instance will only be applied if the first main physical attack lands, then only will the fortitude check for poison occur afterwards. How does that affect damage per say? I hope this question makes sense, I apologize for my bad mechanics knowledge.

Poison requires a secondary attack roll, so the first attack has to at least graze for it to work, and then the poison makes a separate attack.

@Lord or Riva

Of melee weapons - only Quarterstaves and Pikes are 'reach' weapons.

Carnage attacks at -10 Accuracy from memory.

Can't show the intellect thing atm - when the new patch comes I will.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

@Sensuki

Please, test the new patch dexterity too!!!!

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

@Sensuki

does dex speed animations or armor recovery?

It increases both animation speed and reocovery time.

20 Dexterity will make a 30 frame animation 21 frames, and it will decrease base recovery to 21 frames. Technically a Greatsword attack would then be 21 frames animation + 51 frames recovery instead of 30 and 60.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

It increases both animation speed and reocovery time.

20 Dexterity will make a 30 frame animation 21 frames, and it will decrease base recovery to 21 frames. Technically a Greatsword attack would then be 21 frames animation + 51 frames recovery instead of 30 and 60.

Ah, so it's not percentage reduction, it's numeric? If there was a weapon with a 10 frame animation and a ten frame recovery, 20 dex would reduce that to 1 frame of attack and 1 frame of recovery?

And "frames" correllate to "seconds" how? Just "whatever fps your computer is running" ? (fake edit: how do you display FPS in this game)

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

30% of 30 is 9. The game calculates the speed of things in frames, and the animation speed is 30 FPS. There is no such thing has a fraction of a frame either, it has to be a whole number tongue.png

30 frames = 1 second.

The reason the Greatsword recovery is 51 is because it's 21 (base - 30%) + 30 (two handed penalty)

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

@ sensuki

no point going dex with 2h?

Up to you. If they have not added Accuracy back onto Perception I am going to mod it back on, but with stock attributes Dexterity does increase your DPS. Depends on your class personally. Might is always going to be better for 2H though IMO.

I like Intellect on classes with active abilities - Fighter, Rogue etc because of the good duration increase.

Edited by Sensuki