The consequences of political correctness

Namutree

multiculturalism and political correctness in Europe?  O'RLY

Jew walking in democratic civilized Paris

http://youtu.be/AltyhmrIFgo

Jew walking in tyrannical antisemitic Moscow.

http://youtu.be/nnRGrxXWG_E

nobody even notice him. Only two Muslims invite him into Mosque for talk with imam about faith. 

This thread is another proof how non tolerant and racist Europe is.

What do you mean? When I (an American) started this thread I did so because I wanted to discuss how political correctness can paralyze the state's ability to do it's job properly. This thread isn't proof that anyone is non-tolerant.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

What do you mean? When I (an American) started this thread I did so because I wanted to discuss how political correctness can paralyze the state's ability to do it's job properly. This thread isn't proof that anyone is non-tolerant.

nothing to discuss here.  Police just don't give own work properly (and cover own failures by fairy tales about bad  migrants). 

I tend to agree with Stewart Lee on political correctness.

"It's an often clumsy negotiation towards a formally inclusive language. There's all sorts of problems with it but it's better than what we had before."

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I just found it on other forum

quite accurate

he says exactly what i think... PC is the "rule of minority". if 1 in 100 people has a problem all other 99 must conform their lives to cater to that one person's problem

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

political correctness actual promotes that which it is meant to eradicate.  "racist," "sexist," and other similar labels is so emotional charged that the accusation alone puts folks on the defensive.  well, guess what, people don't like being accused o' something they cannot actual defend 'gainst.  call somebody a racist and what can they possibly say in defense?  

no doubt we has all heard variations o' this meaningless chestnut, eh?  

"i have lots of black friends."

lordy.  is such an utter lame response, but what is the alternatives? can't disprove racism or sexism with words. only your actions can speak to your character in such situations.  the accused is utter helpless to make any kind o' meaningful or compelling counter to the claim o' the vile character flaw in question.  not surprising, the folks accused o' bigotry o' some variation is gonna be displeased at the lack o' fairness o' their predicament.  displeasure and anger is close cousins.  who is gonna be the target o' the anger?  the accuser, yes?  so, how many times does some ordinary and ignorant shnook get accused o' racism, sexism and homophobia by puerto-rican lesbians before the guy decides that he doesn't very much like lesbians or puerto ricans or women for that matter?  thanks to political correctness, the vile labels slip more easily from the mouths o' angry minorities, women, homosexuals and naive undergrads who thinks a couple years o' University has made them enlightened.  thanks to political correctness, there is no immediate defense to the accusations o' minorities, women, homosexuals and jumped-up college students with delusions o' clarity.

is a cycle that polarizes.  not liking hip-hop or defending cops is racist.  observe that women do not typical have the same upper body strength as men is sexist.  repeat numbers from reputable scientific studies that show that USA homosexual population is less than 5% is homophobic.  keep accusing folks o' terrible evils that they cannot defend selves from is creating more anger and hate.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

political correctness actual promotes that which it is meant to eradicate.  "racist," "sexist," and other similar labels is so emotional charged that the accusation alone puts folks on the defensive.  well, guess what, people don't like being accused o' something they cannot actual defend 'gainst.  call somebody a racist and what can they possibly say in defense?  

lordy.  is such an utter lame response, but what is the alternatives? can't disprove racism or sexism with words. only your actions can speak to your character in such situations.  the accused is utter helpless to make any kind o' meaningful or compelling counter to the claim o' the vile character flaw in question.  not surprising, the folks accused o' bigotry o' some variation is gonna be displeased at the lack o' fairness o' their predicament.  displeasure and anger is close cousins.  who is gonna be the target o' the anger?  the accuser, yes?  so, how many times does some ordinary and ignorant shnook get accused o' racism, sexism and homophobia by puerto-rican lesbians before the guy decides that he doesn't very much like lesbians or puerto ricans or women for that matter?  thanks to political correctness, the vile labels slip more easily from the mouths o' angry minorities, women, homosexuals and naive undergrads who thinks a couple years o' University has made them enlightened.  thanks to political correctness, there is no immediate defense to the accusations o' minorities, women, homosexuals and jumped-up college students with delusions o' clarity.

is a cycle that polarizes.  not liking hip-hop or defending cops is racist.  observe that women do not typical have the same upper body strength as men is sexist.  repeat numbers from reputable scientific studies that show that USA homosexual population is less than 5% is homophobic.  keep accusing folks o' terrible evils that they cannot defend selves from is creating more anger and hate.

HA! Good Fun!

in short PC is anti-honesty

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

HA! Good Fun!

When is was in University I got called sexist by my female work partner because, I made assumption that majority of users of software that is aimed to used car sellers to check national average prices for cars with certain qualifications would be used mainly by men, assumption that I based on fact that at that moment over 95% of Finland's used car sellers were men. But her rationality for calling me sexist was that even though situation maybe as it is, ration of women that become used car sellers was on rise and that number of women in schools that teaches people on other jobs where said software could find user base (like car repair shops, insurance companies, etc.) was also in rise and pure assumption that because number of women using software in question is significantly lower than number of men, don't mean that we should not take those women user voice on our study.

I haven't even to this day decided if my assumptions were influenced by sexism in my world views at the time or was they really justified only by facts that I had on my hand at the time.

But anyway that incident cause some tension between us and rest of our group.

EDIT: In this days I think people use political correctness as similar attack which is difficult to defend against. As often when you speak or at least try to speak for the minorities you get accused being politically correct and it is quite difficult to form defense against such accusation that don't sound lame. In my youth political correctness meant speaking for minorities only to get more support for your actual political goals and not really actually care about said minorities, but these days it seems to mean any act that tries to shame/call out those who person feels to be acting impolite (usually towards minority group, but not even that is always required).

Edited by Elerond