Best Talents

Namutree

Weapon Focus is good for any class/build.

Two Weapon Style is a must if you're dual wielding

Vulnerable Attack goes REALLY with Two Weapon Style

Sword and Shield Style is a must if you're using a Shield (I still don't like Shields, and almost never use them)

Wary Defender [Fighter] is great if you pick the Defender Mode ability

Interdiction [Priest] - great per-encounter debuff

Brilliant Radiance [Priest] - is great as you always cast Holy Radiance every encounter and it adds damage to it

Inspiring Radiance [Priest] - isn't too bad, but I prefer Brilliant Radiance. Can always pick both I guess?

Blast [Wizard] - you'd be insane not to

- Penetrating Blast [Wizard] is pretty good too, if you pick Blast

Bonus 1st Level Spell [Wizard] gives you more Slickens to cast. Can never have enough Slickens.

Barbaric Blow [barbarian] is a good per-encounter ability

Accurate Carnage [barbarian] isn't bad either.

Arms Bearer and Quick Switch go well together if you're an Island Aumaua and you get multiple firearms/crossbows/arbalests - you can fire three of them off in about 2 seconds, and then switch to melee icon_lol.gif

Biting Whip [Cipher] is fairly good. You're not at max focus very often, so you will usually qualify for the x1.2 damage. Might lose its potency down the line, as you'll be casting more spells more often and making less weapon attacks.

Gunner is good if you're going to play a Musketeer or whatever, although I don't find continuously using a firearm in combat to be very useful at the moment.

Bloody Slaughter is a good one to have if you run out of offensive talents to pick from, good for finishing off enemies faster.

Edited by Sensuki

For a Wizard:

Blast - AoE standard ranged attack!

Penetrating Blast - Now with added armour penetration

Weapon Focus Noble - Accuracy bonus for two of the 3 Implements allowing you to swap between all three basic damage types Pierce/Slash/Crush

Extra Spell Slots

Or the Elemental Talents if you want to build an elementally themed wizard (role play mainly) as +20% damage to one of the magical damage types Fire/Lightning/Corrode/Cold is certainly not useless, however it's probably not the best build for a wizard.

Edited by aeonsim

I'd argue against blast. Kalashnikov's Minor Blights has a blast effect and does way higher damage and lasts for 60+ seconds. It's vastly superior than the very low damage of blast, IMO. Take the +20% elemental damage talents instead to give it even more of a boost, depending on the type of blight randomly summoned.

I wasn't saying it was a bad choice, but the amount of times you make an implement attack over the course of the game with a Wizard will be quite high. With Penetrating Blast, Blast damage actually becomes pretty good.

That Blunderbuss/Combusting Wounds combo sounds fun though, haven't tried that.

With talents it seems like there are 2 options...

1. Mandatory Offensive Talents

2. Mandatory Tank Talents

Everything else is just gimmicky or niche. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. 

On a sidenote, I really like the World of Warcraft way of doing talents where you have 3 mutually exclusive choices per level. 

Also, Blast OP = Ranged Barbarian. By far best talent in game. I remember on my first beta playthrough my mage dominated overall damage just from blast alone. 

Edited by Bazy

Sword and Shield Style is a must if you're using a Shield (I still don't like Shields, and almost never use them)

Brilliant Radiance [Priest] - is great as you always cast Holy Radiance every encounter and it adds damage to it

Inspiring Radiance [Priest] - isn't too bad, but I prefer Brilliant Radiance. Can always pick both I guess?

Bonus 1st Level Spell [Wizard] gives you more Slickens to cast. Can never have enough Slickens.

Arms Bearer and Quick Switch go well together if you're an Island Aumaua and you get multiple firearms/crossbows/arbalests - you can fire three of them off in about 2 seconds, and then switch to melee icon_lol.gif

Biting Whip [Cipher] is fairly good. You're not at max focus very often, so you will usually qualify for the x1.2 damage. Might lose its potency down the line, as you'll be casting more spells more often and making less weapon attacks.

Gunner is good if you're going to play a Musketeer or whatever, although I don't find continuously using a firearm in combat to be very useful at the moment.

Bloody Slaughter is a good one to have if you run out of offensive talents to pick from, good for finishing off enemies faster.

This is very important stuff.  I hope you remember to update when the final game is released

Arguably more op than the super ruffian

Might + 1.33

Blinding Strike +1.25

Deep wounds +10ish per hit

Reckless Assault +1.2

Vulnerable attack +5 DR

2H style +1.1

Lash +1.25

Exceptional Weapon +1.3

Sneak Attack +1.25

Would probably be better with savage attack than vulnerable attack. 

Edited by Bazy

where are you getting 4.45 from?

The calculation is additive

base * [1 + 0.33 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.2 + 0.1 + 0.3 + 0.3] = 2.73

the lash is then 25% of the total damage after DR reduction (I think)

These are all currently subject to rounding/calculation errors as well.

Deep Wounds adds a DoT, but it doesn't stack, I think it just refreshes.

Edited by Sensuki

You also could have enchanted your chest with +1 might :)

I was multiplying :(

So I get 2.68 + .5 (savage attack) + .25 (crit) = 3.43 x 32 base damage = 109 highest crit +10 deep wounds. 

Edited by Bazy

Penetrating Shot is amazing if you're using a Blunderbuss (even better, if you're a Rogue using a Blunderbuss).

It works all right with Implements as well, -5DR with the best of Crushing/Piercing, Slashing/Piercing or Crushing/Slashing means that the enemy DR against the attack can be much lower their base DR. It's not amazing but it is an interesting option for a Wizard and probably better than Dangerous implement.

If you chose the correct implement for the enemy then it can be a pretty impressive change ie Penetrating shot with either of the Crush damage Implements against Mail pretty much negates all DR.

While against Plate they'll switch from the Slashing damage to piercing or crushing dropping DR from 18? (wiki can't check game right now) to 12 then reducing that by -5 which drops it down to ~7.

In short best of weapons work nicely with the two DR reduction Talents.

Edited by aeonsim

So I get 2.68 + .5 (savage attack) + .25 (crit) = 3.43 x 32 base damage = 109 highest crit +10 deep wounds.

Do we actually know if crits are still x1.25 ? Because Firearms have a -0.3 crit mult. Which means if they did crit, they'd be doing x0.9 damage lol

Guys you are playing with fire. Dont forget how devs love to nerf things which are popular. We all need to live in grey meh world :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I know, I said that on the Codex just before. Every time I make a video I'm afraid Josh will nerf something I did  :( 

The reason why Knockdown is so good is because a lot of the higher level Fighter abilities are just *crap*, like Into the Fray. It's not really that the ability is OP now, it's just that a lot of the higher level ones are just not good.

Just thought of another stupid combo that pretty much makes investing in Constitution pointless too. If you go Max Might, you get +33% Healing. Then you just pick that Wound Binding Talent that heals health, and you've got basically a free 18 Constitution.

Edited by Sensuki

Just thought of another stupid combo that pretty much makes investing in Constitution pointless too. If you go Max Might, you get +33% Healing. Then you just pick that Wound Binding Talent that heals health, and you've got basically a free 18 Constitution.

And with only 6 Talents throughout the game, I'd still not consider it a worthwhile investment.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I've been fooling around with a Aumaua "gunner" today with multiple firearms but I have not been able to figure out how to get him to fire one after the other without several seconds pause between each one. I make sure he has them loaded ahead of time then as soon as he shoots I switch to the next but the lower bar on his status still crawls down at a snails pace - any suggestions?

(Now I just recently got the "Quick switch" talent but it doesn't seem to make much difference)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...