Which patron deity will you pick?

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which deity will your character worship?

• Eothas, god of redemption and light
    • Berath, god of cycles and death
    • Skaen, god of resentment and rebellion
    • Hylea, goddess of birds and the sky
    • Abydon, patron of the Knight of the Crucible
    • Magran, goddess of fire and war
    • Wael, god of secrets and revelations
    • Galawain, god of the hunt
    • Ondra, goddess of water and the moon
    • Rymrgand, god of death and plague
  2. 2. Which deity will your character worship? (Continuation)

• Woedica, goddess of justice and rightful rulership
    • I don't know.
    • Depends gameplay bonuses.
    • Blank (Voted in first poll)

Considering what prominent role gods play in the Pillars of Eternity setting, it's doubtlessly important as to what deity your character will worship. Do you already know which god you will pick? 

Personally, I intend to make Death Godlike priest that worships Eothas. Considering the fact that Eothas may or may not be dead, it is interesting what sort of link a Death Godlike would have with such a god. Additionally, I am interested in what we will find out about Eothas throughout the game. Perhaps my priest will eventually abandon Eothas faith. Life changes people and finding out more about your deity can make many people rethink their devotion.

Therefore, a last question. Are you rigid in your devotion to the picked deity? Do you think you might be persuaded to worship a different god? What type of life-changing event might make your character rethink their choices?

Edited by Zallgrin
  • Like 1

Well that depends on which class/race will i pick, as well as what background will i create for my character. Eg. at my first playthrough i will have Aumaua Wizard (mystic), who makes rational decisions and worships Wael. On my n-playthrough i will make Death Godlike Paladin from the Bleak Walkers Order worshiping probably Rymgrand. My elf archer will worship Galawain. My Nature Godlike druid will worship either Berath or Hylea. My rogue will worship Skaen. Barbarian - Magran. Warrior - Woedica. Priest - Ondra/Eothas. For the rest whatever will be left and/or will fit ;)

• Like 1

I think I was completely alone with my Eothasian Moon Godlike and see this! Abandonment of faith is interesting but only if it has mechanical effects (maybe we can experience faith crisis because one of the companions). Although I dream about possibility to become Faithless (!) as the result of that crisis. We know our reputation not agreeing with deity behavior can weak priest abilities.

I count on special dialogs with some companions (Eder, Durance) if we play priest (especially Eothasian or Magranic or Berathian). It would be great if they have possibility to resolve companion problems tied to faith themes with options special to them. But I think it will be good if we could have some impact on companions thoughts about gods, faith and so on. I hope Obsidian did a good work, because what I saw in beta satisfied me, even if I wasn't Skaenite.

I know I will take Fire Godlike in future who worhips Eothas and I will be trollying whole Dyrwood  :fdevil:

Edited by White Phoenix
  • Like 1

Is it certain that at some point your character can pick a patron deity? Sure, the gods definitely exist and they even reach out and touch people, but I don't recall seeing anything about players choosing one to worship above all others.

Anyways, I still intent for my first character to be an Earth Godlike Druid. So I'll probably go for the most nature-y god I can find.

Eothas.  I was going to have them (I am going to make two characters and recruit the rest) be children of Saint's War vets but it looks like you cannot be from Readceras, so they will be from the Aedyr Empire instead.

I know very little about the Aedyr Empire but I figure I have some time to learn about it and pick out names for my couple and backstory before the game is released.

• Like 1

Is it certain that at some point your character can pick a patron deity? Sure, the gods definitely exist and they even reach out and touch people, but I don't recall seeing anything about players choosing one to worship above all others.

Anyways, I still intent for my first character to be an Earth Godlike Druid. So I'll probably go for the most nature-y god I can find.

I didn't see such possibility except for priests and their deities.

Priests definitely get to pick to pick a god at character creation, but I'm not sure about other classes. Either way, I'm 100% sure that Obsidian will allow you to mention which deity your character worships during the game itself. Like the way in the beginning of the game, you were asked about your background and you could decide what type of person you were.

I am going to play a rogue who worships Wael. Since she's been a thief for a long time, she really appreciates the value of well kept secrets. When people don't see you, don't know you're there, they can't catch you. 

I want to roleplay my rogue as someone who sees as Wael as someone who can hide her away from danger and keep her out of sight.

When main plot of Pillars of Eternity starts rolling, it's going to be fun to watch my character get more and more into spotlight. Can't exactly hide from people now, now that you live in a huge stronghold and everyone can come knocking at your doorstep. 

Equally, there will be even more opportunities for uncovering secrets of other people... my character may wonder if that's a gift from Wael and what exactly is expected of her to do with new found knowledge.

Priests can choose a deity. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if one or two NPCs asked our characters if we worship a specific god. It's a good opportunity to flesh out a character, after all.

The only one thing that helps now is official wiki, but collector's book will be huuge new information about lore I can't wait to read it.

Yea - but PoE wiki wasn't updated since 25 october ...

What??????

I mean that wiki. Enjoy with tones of lore ;)

Yea me too - look at the bottom of this page ... under "Category: Browse" ... And eg. most classes has their skills described till level 8, and from videos i've seen high level skills are known for quite some time ...

EDIT: Oh nvm - i thought this info was about entire PoE wiki page, not just main page ... Well - but my point about skills still stands.

Edited by DarkWanderer

I tried to vote for Our Queen, The Garrote of Justice, The Dreaded Oathbinder, Goddess of Gods, Woedica; but I had to choose one of the gods on the first list so I picked the most useless-sounding one.

Yeah I noticed that.  A little error in poll design.

I tried to vote for Our Queen, The Garrote of Justice, The Dreaded Oathbinder, Goddess of Gods, Woedica; but I had to choose one of the gods on the first list so I picked the most useless-sounding one.

Yeah I noticed that.  A little error in poll design.

You are right, I should have added another Blank option in the first poll. Sadly a little too late now to edit. Will keep it in mind for next time.

I wish they would release a "Campaign Setting" style book before the release so we can have a gander. I suppose that's what the guidebook and almanac is suppose to be, but it's a little frustrating going into this huge world blind. 

At least there are the lore books for now. Each god has at least one books dedicated to them, and there are several parables about gods. I myself really liked the Eothas prayer one and the Wael priest who is trolling random people, haha

If the Backer Beta is any indication, only priests will select their god/goddess of choice at character creation, and only 5 gods (or perhaps 6, not really sure right now) are available to choose from. This will be recognized by the game for some quests.

Other classes do not get that choice. I expect you may of course roleplay them as believers of one of the gods, but as far as I know it will make no special difference for the game (except with regard to your selected dialogue choices and according reputations). To clarify, your character chooses a god that is cruel and stoic, and you choose the dialogue options that are cruel and stoic to play in character, then the game will of course recognize you as a cruel and stoic character regarding reputations. But thart is about it, I believe.

Unfortunately, non-Priests do not even choose a deity to venerate in particular (and indeed, this may often make the most sense, seeing as how people tend to venerate a pantheon rather than a single god, unless you are actually a priest). That said, in my head, my Deathlike Paladin will naturally venerate Rymrgand, for giving him the breath of life, but also revere Berath, Skaen, and Wael, in descending order of importance.

t50aJUd.jpg

am assuming, as others have noted, that only priests choose a patron deity in poe, and the list from which priests choose is not encompassing the complete pantheon.

aside: near the top o' our list o' things we would like added to future poe content, other than cassowary companions for rangers, is an expansion o' the deities priest characters can choose as their patron.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Wael is the obvious RP choice since followers of Wael are known for many strange and unusual practices, possibly for good reasons, possibly for no reason at all. Which describes RPG protagonists pretty well I think.

"Samuel, who is this strange man in your house crawling around and poking the floorboards and looking in the cupboards?"

"Oh its just one of those Wael fellows, leave him be. I'm sure he knows what he's doing."

• Like 1

am assuming, as others have noted, that only priests choose a patron deity in poe, and the list from which priests choose is not encompassing the complete pantheon.

aside: near the top o' our list o' things we would like added to future poe content, other than cassowary companions for rangers, is an expansion o' the deities priest characters can choose as their patron.

HA! Good Fun!

Absolutely, I think that the available deities are all a bit meh, personally, and I'd love it if expansions added more deities and properly integrated the choice of deity into the main game.

Also, I'd love it if there was a possibility, maybe through Talents or maybe on creation, to profess affinity to a deity without being a Priest. Or if not, then at least for there to be plenty of narrative support for venerating a deity (or deities) of your choice.

t50aJUd.jpg

the poll is made wrong. you need to have a blanc answer in both questions if one is the continuation of the other. now we have to vote a god from the top list even if our pick is in the bottom

as for the god, i dont know yet. maybe after i got a few hints from the lore i ll be able to decide, but probably it will depend on my class

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

This sort of thing never really had much impact on gameplay in the past. I remember being disappointed in NWN2 because you get this long list of interesting dieties to choose from, and as far as I could tell, there wasn't a single line of dialogue in the game that mentioned it.

If it actually impacts storyline, then I'll give it some deeper thought. Until then... Magran, God of Fire & War seems nice. Mainly because if you play a wizard in D&D RPGs, you tend to spend a lot of your time throwing fireballs around.

EDIT: BTW Who or what is the "Knight of the Crucible"?

Edited by Heijoushin