[Character] Verdane, Mystic of the Wends

I didn't see a character thread around so I figured I'd make my own! Bonus: I found a pretty good portrait for a male nature godlike, so feel free to use it if you like, it should be the proper size.

-----------------------

5g78JRMh.png     Verdane,

Chanter of the White that Wends, Mystic, Godling and Companion of all-folk.

Verdane's birth was unlike most of his kind. It was uneventful. He came into being deep a in a hidden place that did not judge him to be a monster. Instead, it judged him be alone.

Verdane was abandoned deep within a chill pine forest, a glade that was untouched by evil, but similarly untouched by the presence of voice, word, or writing. However, this did not last. As nature itself fed the young one, and cared for him, there was something amiss. As he slept, he was moved. A shelter appeared. Books, drawings, and paper were found upon waking. As he grew, no matter how much Verdane struggled to stay awake to see his benefactor, he could not. He slept, and upon awakening, found meals for the mind.

The books told him of strange lands, strange creatures, and most of all other peoples that lived -- all together -- in huge cities, where should prove nearly impossible to be alone. It told him of the workings of the world, of fate, and prophecy.

The Druid, whom Verdane had come to learn must be guarding this grove, never deigned to speak to him. This was painful. It was as if Verdane was judged to have nothing important to say. And perhaps that was true.

But. Verdane found, after being struck by the true cold and the true danger of the world, making it to a nearby road using The Druid's maps, that he in fact had much to say. So much that, already intimidated by his form, the first few bands of folk he met fled before him as he overpowered them with loud, fumbling banter.

He soon learned better, and became a companion to many, though not all were scrupulous. He was a pet curiosity, even if he did not realize it at the time. He spoke and spoke, and listened and learned, and it was novel, and it was good, even if perhaps at times he was being used. He learned much about people, and the power of words. The power of words to touch the soul.

The magic came easily. It was only the words he was missing. And so he sought them, high and low, and he found that if he aided those who kept the knowledge from him instead of berating him, they would open their books or share their stories over a fire.

He learned of hatred, and evil too. To some he was an abomination, but he had found solace in knowing too that these people were simply afraid, because they did not know.

He knew, now, what he was, at least in part, and he was not surprised when fate brought him events that others would call coincidental. He was chosen. And someday, he would return to the Grove, and speak with the Druid, his guardian, mentor, and... he realized, foe.

Years passed. He aged, and so did the world. He found himself on a Caravan, bound for a distant land, ready for whatever the mysteries might bring...

HakSckEh.png

oBIxeFah.jpg

• Like 3

Are you sure its a male portrait? It can be just me, but i see there small **** and long hairs ... Well at least at the big pic - at small one there is no way to tell.

Hair, if not cut, continues to grow and becomes long even in males, you know.

Not sure what the asterisks are supposed to be. If you're talking about the antlers, they're bifurcated: short forwards, longer backwards.

If you're talking about the chest, I'll let you in on a little secret: both men and women have pecs, nipples, etc. This guy doesn't even look like he has gynecomastia.

But yeah, it is inhuman-enough to be hard to nail down one gender or the other from it. Ain't nothing wrong with looking androgyne either—in fact, seeing as the godlike are seen as sexless in some nations, it makes perfect sense.

• Like 2

Fnord.

Are you sure its a male portrait? It can be just me, but i see there small **** and long hairs ... Well at least at the big pic - at small one there is no way to tell.

Hair, if not cut, continues to grow and becomes long even in males, you know.

Not sure what the asterisks are supposed to be. If you're talking about the antlers, they're bifurcated: short forwards, longer backwards.

If you're talking about the chest, I'll let you in on a little secret: both men and women have pecs, nipples, etc. This guy doesn't even look like he has gynecomastia.

But yeah, it is inhuman-enough to be hard to nail down one gender or the other from it. Ain't nothing wrong with looking androgyne either—in fact, seeing as the godlike are seen as sexless in some nations, it makes perfect sense.

I was talking about chest - men obviously have pectoralis muscles - though unless he has gynecomastia, i've never seen perky nipples in males otherwise. And i've never seen in the games (other than japanese franchiese - which is separate case) that characters had some kind of disease which wouldn't be connected to story somehow - and since this obviously can't be connected with it - i doubt that. Though it's impossible to know for sure, unless we find and ask person who created this pic what was on his/her mind - which (finding this person) is unlikely. Though its not that important - it is role playing game and anyone has the right (bah ... even should) - create his/her own character with the background he/she wants this character to have. I was merely expressing my opinion on the subject. 

Nice portraits and description no matter what gender :) I think it is a female, but it can work great for either gender.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a thread where people can post nice portraits they've found, that could work for the exotic races (godlike, aumaua, orlan). Then it will be easy to make a portrait pack once the game is released. I still love the portraits from the game, but more options are always nice.

• Like 2

I found the portrait literally by typing in "Male Dryad" into google image search, haha. But yes, it's a little gender ambiguous in its original form. Thank for you the 'shopped version with the goatee, I might use it, we shall see.

By the by due to his stats he's actually going to be a ranged character, likely rifleman. Him and Eder should work well together early game, I just hope I can get my hands on a Rifle early on. 

Edited by Havelok

Speaking about portraits: can anyone tell me what sizes will work well with PoE? I was especially wondering if BG sized portrait files can be imported directly... or will they be too low res and look ugly?

And maybe a general "post your character here" thread wouldn't be such a bad idea, I might even post something too! ;)

Speaking about portraits: can anyone tell me what sizes will work well with PoE? I was especially wondering if BG sized portrait files can be imported directly... or will they be too low res and look ugly?

And maybe a general "post your character here" thread wouldn't be such a bad idea, I might even post something too! ;)

From the wiki: Pillars of Eternity currently uses two sizes of portraits, one for the character/inventory/dialogue screen and one for the main HUD. The "big" portrait size is 210x330 and shows "head and shoulders" with a bit extra, the closest comparison would be Baldurs Gate 1 portraits. The smaller portraits have a size of 73x86 and shows only the face.[5]

I was messing around with one of the portraits I saw for PE that looked like the original human paladin one from BG1 except it has the hand in front similar to Ajantis from BG1.  I used a chin and neck from one of the other portraits to get rid of the hand, still haven't quite got things right.

kjKnOuP.pngcEE78XD.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...