Yet Another Pillars of Eternity beta preview

It was only because of a loading tooltip that I learned you were actually supposed to pause mid-fight to issue commands to your team, which actually does allow much more planning during combat.

Yeah, nothing which better says "HELLO I AM NOT QUALIFIED TO OPEN MY MOUTH ABOUT THIS GAME".

• Like 5

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I doubt mainstream gaming media from established "reputable" sites is going to assign a complete hack like this guy to review Eternity.  I'll have to atleast give them that level of the benefit of the doubt.

This is more akin to what you'd find in the comments field from youtube or yahoo.

• Like 5

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I did include a troll in my OP for a reason ;)

Sorry. Some of the non-MCA trolls are pretty ambiguous and fly over my head.

That said, I'd be pretty interested in what some of the old guard reviewers like Tom Chick, Bruce Geryk, or Desslock have to write. 

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Nope. Haven't seen that bug since it was reported fixed.

@Adam Brennecke. I think he loaded an old save and tried to use it in this version. Perhaps when he was playing it a while ago, he got the disappearing BB Dwarf Fighter and got angry about it. I believe the screenshot in that article is from the bug report thread about it.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

I really wish I’d gotten the version that outfits like Polygon and IGN received. Their experience of the game came complete with a tutorial and, from the sounds, not a damn bug in sight.

Perhaps that was the issue? You cant blame a guy for having very-early versions of beta before one month to release. Or was It a threat!  :grin:

...but in the end isnt these guys jurnalist and could have find out what is the final version of beta or just a sunday/blogger opinions type people?

Strange thing indeed.

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Yes, I also think this is a ridiculous review by a guy who claims to be an RPG fan but for some reason has never heard of using pause in the middle of combat. BUT...

(Adding more dots now before continuing to increase suspense)

I also have trouble understanding why a game developer would give a game 'journalist' access to a beta version that is still full of bugs and lets a player start with a full party with several non-starter skills in an area that lacks any introduction to the game (both story and game mechanics-wise). I'm not sure if that is what happened here (maybe Obsidian did not know the guy was going to use his beta access to publish a game review), but I've seen small game studios do this kind of thing before in their quest to get word of their game out to as many people as they possibly can. Similary, they will also give review copies to reviewers that are far outside the target audience of the game. The end result is always the same: bad reviews by often clueless people that do more harm to promoting the game than they do good. I'd be very careful with giving out game access for review purposess.

I doubt mainstream gaming media from established "reputable" sites is going to assign a complete hack like this guy to review Eternity.  I'll have to atleast give them that level of the benefit of the doubt.

This is more akin to what you'd find in the comments field from youtube or yahoo.

You live in a really nice world. Go check out the gamespot review for Raven's Cry (http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/raven-s-cry-review/1900-6416027/) to see what happens when you assign a hardcore SJW to review a game about pirates that tried to be true to the times it represented. Edited by archangel979

"The potion maker in the town, for instance, will wince and say the same line about her wounds, regardless of whether you kindly press her on the issue or demand that she tells you. This example seems fairly indicative of a few dialogue choices you make, and they’ve managed to write most responses in such a way that they’ll work for any speech option. However, without some form of reputation bar to nurse throughout the game, it feels as though your choices don’t make much of an overall impact."

What a preview! Going into a closed beta test version with little or more likely no previous rpg experience, and not even reading up on the features of the full game or the known limitations of the beta version. I smell a pulitzer waiting around the corner!

• Like 1

It also means a LOT of pausing, every few seconds for myself, which really interrupted the flow of play and made me wonder why they didn’t just make this a turn-based game.

This same question was asked by many people on this boards. And I feel it is going to be asked again and again in years to come.

The review was a realistic one from a guy that has no previous experience and had technical problems. People like him are going to murder the game in reviews if it releases with problems.

...(maybe Obsidian did not know the guy was going to use his beta access to publish a game review)...

This, I think.

Developers took careful approach to media coverage this far trying to make rough state of BB builds not too obvious, which resulted in some serious hype around the game as if it's already totally playable. It seems this reviewer guy just took his/his friend-backer's/his fellow-journalist/some smug pirate's BB build and made "first impression" review... without paying any attention to actual state of affairs with the game and basic knowledge of a genre he's working with. It happens.

At least reading this review was amusing. :)

The reviewers are (presumably, I'm assuming Obsidian are going to want a glut of day 1 reviews) going to get the game before the day 1 patch, so they'll all be playing a more buggy game than any consumer. What I'm saying is that any pre-release reviews that complain about bugs (in almost any game) at this point are invalid. You can only ascertain how buggy the game is for the consumer on day 1 after release. Which, I'll admit, puts game reviewers in a bit of a bind.

Edited by CottonWolf

Yes, I also think this is a ridiculous review by a guy who claims to be an RPG fan but for some reason has never heard of using pause in the middle of combat. BUT...

(Adding more dots now before continuing to increase suspense)

I also have trouble understanding why a game developer would give a game 'journalist' access to a beta version that is still full of bugs and lets a player start with a full party with several non-starter skills in an area that lacks any introduction to the game (both story and game mechanics-wise). I'm not sure if that is what happened here (maybe Obsidian did not know the guy was going to use his beta access to publish a game review), but I've seen small game studios do this kind of thing before in their quest to get word of their game out to as many people as they possibly can. Similary, they will also give review copies to reviewers that are far outside the target audience of the game. The end result is always the same: bad reviews by often clueless people that do more harm to promoting the game than they do good. I'd be very careful with giving out game access for review purposess.

We haven't given out review code to any reviewers yet. This journalist made a review based on the backer beta. We don't have an NDA or embargo on anything in the backer beta, so it isn't something we have much control over. To be honest, though, I am not sure if we gave him a backer beta code or if he purchased it himself. We gave a small number of backer beta codes to Paradox back when we opened the beta, but I don't have a list of folks they sent them to.

• Like 6

We haven't given out review code to any reviewers yet. This journalist made a review based on the backer beta. We don't have an NDA or embargo on anything in the backer beta, so it isn't something we have much control over. To be honest, though, I am not sure if we gave him a backer beta code or if he purchased it himself. We gave a small number of backer beta codes to Paradox back when we opened the beta, but I don't have a list of folks they sent them to.

Well, that explains that then. If Paradox did not send out the beta code to be used for a review (and I somehow doubt they would do such), someone decided to write this piece without having received an official preview copy. Nothing you can do about that since every random 'gaming journalist' with access to the beta could do this. If this is what happened (and we still do not know with 100% certainty) it's a low move by the writer, especially since he even complains about other gaming websites having access to versions of the game that are a better representation of what the end version will be like.

*scratches throat*

Hey mister writer of the crappy review!!! Beta versions are used to test, get feedback and improve, ya dummy ;) Get in line for a real preview copy if you're a real journalist! Oh, and there's a DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "THEY'RE" and "THEIR" AND I'M NOT EVEN A NATIVE SPEAKER OF YOUR LANGUAGE!

Well, I'm glad I have that out of my system! Oh and btw, does anyone think we may have given too much attention to some random person from a random website? :p Ah well, it's good for community building and all that. Common enemy etc.! Huzzah!

• Like 1