New Real Time With Pause Dungeons & Dragons RPG - SWORD COAST LEGENDS

Infinitron

I might be wrong but I think he was asking about hit detection. are they impacted/interrupted?

Not sure or at least not that I've noticed so far. I know there are knockbacks but not sure about interrupts and I'm not even sure of skills or abilities that take a while to get going as right now they all seem to activate instantly or nearly so with what seems like a global cooldown after but it could just be their version of a round. 

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Is it true, that there's basically no damage feedback from enemies when you hit them?

Kinda but not really, little numbers flash over them almost too quick to read but they are there. HP bloat of the enemies kinda sucks but so far my own HP seems about right. The game also tracks stuff like damage given and received, biggest hit, kills, etc

Oh, I meant the animations, not the numbers.

I gave the head start a look. I took a generic fighter through a generic random dungeon. Overall the game play is nothing special. They didn't embarrass themselves but they didn't knock it out of the park either. The races, voice sets, animations, sound effects are all just average. If the OC & moddability turn out good it will be a worthwhile purchase once the price drops a bit. It's not as pretty as PoE or as detailed. The voices are so annoying so you will probably dream of the days BG & PST text banter. And as dungeons crawls go IWD had way more soul. One thing I didn't like is that even though I'd cleared the mines of zombies, you still heard the sound effects of zombies. Meaning the sounds are placements not dynamic. NWN did that and it always annoyed me.

I guess the best was to sum it up is it's just ok. It's average. It's a ham sandwich. But that's ok if you just want a ham sandwich.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And it's been postponed by about a month.

Maybe they can use that extra month or so to implement an option for static level creatures in user created adventures?  Please?  Pretty please, with a cherry on top?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Game needs more polish huh? It's one of two things. Either a big bug was found in the head start gameplay or too many folks are saying "really? This is it?"

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently, it's been released now for those who pre-ordered. What's your impressions?

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I didnt even know it was released. I'll have to dl it when I get home. I wonder if I can port over my Pally from the early release.

It's not, what's out there is still a pre-release build.  The final build comes out tomorrow.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I started playing the campaign a few days ago and I didn't get very far because AoD kept calling me back but so far it has potential. The first dungeon is a bit overlong (but this may be because I don't really like the combat very much) and the initial setup is cheesy but that's not necessarily a negative. I do like some of the characters right off the bat and there seems to be a decent amount of content with multiple solutions

Free games updated 3/4/21

That's pretty easy hurdle to overcome :-P

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I started the game up this morning.  I didn't have much time before work, so I only did character creation and the quick tutorial at the beginning.  The game has an alarming lack of orcs, so I was forced to choose the next coolest fantasy race, which clearly is dwarves, and made a cleric (class selection is pretty limited too).  So far I've seen a few swords and there was some mumbo jumbo about some elven goddess crying, because those skinny, pointy-eared bastards always gotta be overly dramatic like that, and a tear falling to the ground, or some junk, so I guess that counts as a legend.  I've yet to encounter any coasts, but I barely started the game.  When I get home from work I'll set off on my quest to find a coast to fulfill the ancient prophecy game's title. 

Too early to say anything about the quality of the game.  I will say that the lack of screen edge scrolling is a bother.  How do you not implement that in an isometric game?  That's pretty standard.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I am interested in forum feedback too, as the picture out there in review land is very, very mixed.

I like H&S tunnel-fighting, so it should appeal but will await more opinions. Am very busy right now, it would have to be speshul for me to pay full price as opposed to waiting for a Steam Sale.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Just played it for an hour and a half. Remember when I compared it to a ham sandwich? That was spot on.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

well finally managed to fix the fps issue and played it for the initial area with missions. It seems kind of okish... nothing special... all skills on Cooldowns mechanics, no really good feedback on combat, lack of edge scrolling of the map, the story might be worth a copper or two, depending how it is unveiled later on, but it will be probably something light to digest.

Stats are watered down, skills and feats too, and how the hell the game does not have weapon type of warhammer is beyond me... how can I create my Dwarf cleric of Moradin?

Deities seem to have no impact on the class features.

It's a very casual game, there is nothing hard even on hard (the only challenge I had was a fight with 2 dire wolves, which summoned 4 regular wolves). Might be some fun, but I'd rather play NWN or NWN2.

Dire wolves use summoning magic now? L0L or did they just call them over with normal howls lol?

No warhammer? LMAO How do you have not have hammers. :p

Then again, another bad thing about this game is that it is only available on STEAM. That's GROSS.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

well finally managed to fix the fps issue and played it for the initial area with missions. It seems kind of okish... nothing special... all skills on Cooldowns mechanics, no really good feedback on combat, lack of edge scrolling of the map, the story might be worth a copper or two, depending how it is unveiled later on, but it will be probably something light to digest.

Stats are watered down, skills and feats too, and how the hell the game does not have weapon type of warhammer is beyond me... how can I create my Dwarf cleric of Moradin?

Deities seem to have no impact on the class features.

It's a very casual game, there is nothing hard even on hard (the only challenge I had was a fight with 2 dire wolves, which summoned 4 regular wolves). Might be some fun, but I'd rather play NWN or NWN2.

I have a slightly different take so far.  I see a lot of customization with the amount of skills your characters can have and am having decent fun.  Although I do believe it's more casual.  While playing alongside Wasteland 2 DC, I will say I really enjoy true turn-based combat more than the pause type combat in SWL or Pillars.  Feels like a lot more depth.  So far, SCL combats feels fast and was clunky, however after a couple hours and unlocking more abilities, I've definitely started to enjoy it more.  There are quirks here and there for sure, but so far it's been pretty good.  Not really DnD, but I do appreciate the setting.

• Like 1

I've had fun with it so far, granted, it's still early in the game, I could certainly still grow to hate it.  Basically, don't look at it as a D&D game and your chances of enjoying the game will rise significantly.  If you're dead set on an authentic D&D experience, this game is not it and you will be disappointed.  If you can get past the fact that this game is about as D&D as McDonalds is a restaurant, then there's fun to be had here.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

McDonald's is a retaurant. One can whine about quality but it is a restuarant.

McDonalds is a loose interpretation of the term restaurant, technically it is a place where you can order a meal, though it's closer to mass produced food you can buy at a supermarket than the freshly prepared food people generally associate with "restaurant".  Sword Coast Legends is a loose interpretation of D&D, technically it is a game in a D&D setting using a really loose interpretation of D&D rules.  Hence my analogy.

Okay, maybe my analogy isn't the greatest.  The point is that the game takes a lot of liberties with D&D rules.  How much that bothers you will have a great impact on how much you will enjoy the game.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸