New Real Time With Pause Dungeons & Dragons RPG - SWORD COAST LEGENDS

Infinitron

I was very happy at first about this game coming out first because I wanted to use it to turn a good D&D adventure I have into a good computer D&D adventure.

But as this game will now be crappy action game I am not sure I want to spend months doing that. Worse thing is that you have to get a deluxe edition to get additional tilesets which is all I would care about when creating a custom campaign. It seems they want to charge more to people that would be creating free content that would in turn get them more sales LOL.

Is there another newer game with a fairly large user base with a fantasy toolset I can use? (don't mention NWN 1 and 2 and Shadowrun

).

Is D:OS toolset any good?

Edited by archangel979

Eh. Unless it has been changed Derro  (super dark dwarves) die and/or get really crippled rather quickly on the surface IIRC... I hope they did their research on the derro race b/c  this would be even weirder than a 'good' drow or 'good' duergar.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yikes, you weren't kidding!

Vulnerability to Sunlight (Ex)

A derro takes 1 point of Constitution damage for every hour it is exposed to sunlight, and it dies if its Constitution score reaches 0. Lost Constitution points are recovered at the rate of 1 per every 24-hour period spent underground or otherwise sheltered from the sun.

• Like 1

Read up on what a derro actually is and how they interact with others including both other dwarves and non dwarves. If you think a good drow like Drizzt is an anomaly,,, There is a reason why derro has never even been an optional PC race like drow or duergar.

Still, if its done right, the character could be interesting. But,t he whole sun thing (since I assume lots of  the game will be played outside) is going to be an issue unless they tone in down.

Just read his bio.  Yeah, he seems to be your UD guide. I guess he might be only temporary  party member. Should be pointed otu the fact that he even interacts with non derro is  non normal behaviour for his race. Heh. Could be fun.

Edited by Volourn

That derro character kinda restored my interest in this game. I'm not too familiar with the recent edition of DnD and Forgotten Realms is one of those overused/bit-too-generic-at-places/just-plain-illogical worlds to me, at least after reading some of the R.A Salvatore stuff. It's nice to see some unusual races getting attention. Maybe we someone could make a module where you play as derro, and you have to live under the city and plan carefully the trips to surface (or you could just sleep till it's night i guess).

It looks like a mix of DA:O (duh) and NWN 2 to me. I like the more precise visual feedback, now if they just get the performance right (NWN 2 still won't run properly on my PC and NWN 1 was a buggy mess, I've had no problems with DA:O though). From what I've learned from playing a couple of hours of Neverwinter, the character building is dull in the 4th edition. I won't judge the game just yet. I'll most likely wait for the price to drop and then maybe pick it up. Looks fun enough to me, and we might see some excellent modules too.

As a side note: I noticed how the screen turned a bit darker when they paused the game in the video. It reminded me how PoE's combat looks like a unicorn poop whenever there is more than 3 spellcasters in the fight. Maybe Obsidian could add a feature where it removes/makes the effects more transparent whenever the game

is paused. Would make the combat a lot easier to follow. 

Read up on what a derro actually is and how they interact with others including both other dwarves and non dwarves. If you think a good drow like Drizzt is an anomaly,,, There is a reason why derro has never even been an optional PC race like drow or duergar.

Still, if its done right, the character could be interesting. But,t he whole sun thing (since I assume lots of  the game will be played outside) is going to be an issue unless they tone in down.

Well Menzzoberanzzan had Derro NPC, which you could recruit on the way down to Underdark.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

From what I've learned from playing a couple of hours of Neverwinter, the character building is dull in the 4th edition.

A) Neverwinter has about as much to do with 4E as...well, I was going to say Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance has to do with 3.X, but BG:DA's rules implementation is several orders of magnitudes closer to 3.X than Neverwinter's is to 4E. Neverwinter is basically an action-MMO with a Forgotten Realms veneer.

B) Sword Coast Legends is "using" 5E. From what we've seen so far, it looks like it's probably about as close to the actual rules of 5E as BG:DA is to 3.X.

I really wish they'd release more about the actual gameplay. I'm kind of hoping they've been so quiet about it because they're ocmpletely revamping it do to all the complaints, but that doesn't seem very likely.

From what I've learned from playing a couple of hours of Neverwinter, the character building is dull in the 4th edition.

A) Neverwinter has about as much to do with 4E as...well, I was going to say Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance has to do with 3.X, but BG:DA's rules implementation is several orders of magnitudes closer to 3.X than Neverwinter's is to 4E. Neverwinter is basically an action-MMO with a Forgotten Realms veneer.

B) Sword Coast Legends is "using" 5E. From what we've seen so far, it looks like it's probably about as close to the actual rules of 5E as BG:DA is to 3.X.

I figured they were going to base the game on the 5E, which I know nothing about. I was actually looking up some of the actual 4E stuff and most of the annoyances from Neverwinter were not present in the basic rules. Looking at the character building, 4E looks just as good as any other recent version. I think I have to mention that I've never actually played PnP D&D, I've only read through the manuals for 3.5. Anyway, I'm not too worried about the rule implementation. They will either make the system fun or dull, the faithful implementation is not really important.

I figured they were going to base the game on the 5E, which I know nothing about. I was actually looking up some of the actual 4E stuff and most of the annoyances from Neverwinter were not present in the basic rules. Looking at the character building, 4E looks just as good as any other recent version. I think I have to mention that I've never actually played PnP D&D, I've only read through the manuals for 3.5. Anyway, I'm not too worried about the rule implementation. They will either make the system fun or dull, the faithful implementation is not really important.
it is pretty important because dnd has a specific game play style that attracts its players. If you ignore it it is no longer a dnd game and using that brand is pointless unless you enjoy paying royalties to Hasbro.

And dnd 5e has been praised and welcomed back by both new and old players, if they make a generic rpg with dnd name they lose 5e hype.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's not using the 5th Ed magic system (except for spell names). It's using the generic MMO spells with cooldowns. About the only thing they are possibly using from 5th Ed is character stats.

Although thats pretty much the worst system for magic/abilities currently implemented in games, I'm still in because I like Forgotten Realms.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Too bad the Deluxe isn't on sale. I want the extra tileset.

I find it funny they want to charge extra for people that will keep their game alive longer. People like creating (free) campaigns and if they need to pay extra to do that properly they will not. And if no player made campaigns, game dies faster and sells less copies.

I find it funny they want to charge extra for people that will keep their game alive longer. People like creating (free) campaigns and if they need to pay extra to do that properly they will not. And if no player made campaigns, game dies faster and sells less copies.

I actually do not want to create content. I figured everyone involved in a session would need the same tile sets to be able to participate. Is that not the case?

I actually do not want to create content. I figured everyone involved in a session would need the same tile sets to be able to participate. Is that not the case?

I think they said only DM needs it or something.

The system still stinks. It is anti-community. You are not supposed to charge extra to people that will through their free content give you more sales.

Edited by archangel979

I'm not sold on this game.  I'm not a fan of the art style.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these people that freaks out over stylized graphics and everything must look realistic or kill it with fire, but these stylized graphics look kinda meh.  It's like they tried to find a middle ground between stylized and realistic and I'd rather they went full on in either direction because their middle ground looks really boring.  Also, there's a disturbing lack of feedback in most of the animations I've seen.  Outside of some specific abilities that knock characters down, they all might as well be swinging at thin air because weapons just pass through characters and they just keep on keeping on as if nothing happened.  Of course, I can overlook the art style and animations so long as the story is good and the combat encounters are well crafted, varied, and posing unique challenges (for the love of god, don't have 95% of the battles be filler battles against trash mobs).  As for DM mode, it's certainly an interesting idea and it could be really good.  I guess it all depends on how much control the DM has over the adventures.  If it's just here's a random dungeon, you can move the monster spawn points around and tweak a few stats and that's it, then I don't see a point in it.  Hopefully it will be a much more robust system.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I guess it all depends on how much control the DM has over the adventures.  If it's just here's a random dungeon, you can move the monster spawn points around and tweak a few stats and that's it, then I don't see a point in it.  Hopefully it will be a much more robust system.

Heres an article and ~9 minute video on the DM mode. My understanding is that the DM can construct the entire dungeon from scratch. The Deluxe version of the game includes an additional tile set and Beholder (?) monsters.

• Like 1

"Necromancer with a heart of gold." If this were Torment somebody would inevitably add: Small, hard and cold.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!