New Real Time With Pause Dungeons & Dragons RPG - SWORD COAST LEGENDS

Infinitron

Not liking everything I'm seeing (or reading on their board). The comment about making it accessible to non hardcore RPG players was a definite turn off. Still nothing about any kind of toolset too. I think I want my money back. Too late I know.

We did tell you to not preorder lol. But I think you can ask it back from them if you really want to. Contact their support.

Hehe, everything that's a minus for you guys is a plus for me. I don't hang on their forum so perhaps Im missing some damning evidence but everything I see, I like (and the camera is sweet). Cant wait to roll a Paladin and smite the hell out of some eeeeeevil. *rubs hands with glee* Maybe I just like aRPG better than RPG? :blink:

I have no interest in the toolset. Ill never use it once. :shrugz:

I have no interest in the toolset. Ill never use it once. :shrugz:

No but you will use the hell out of what people like me can DO with it. NWN proved that

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Not liking everything I'm seeing (or reading on their board). The comment about making it accessible to non hardcore RPG players was a definite turn off. Still nothing about any kind of toolset too. I think I want my money back. Too late I know.

We did tell you to not preorder lol. But I think you can ask it back from them if you really want to. Contact their support.

Nah, I'll stick with it. If it sucks it will hardly be the first one I've ever bought that did (Master or Orion III, HOMM 4, I could go on)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You know, if this wasn't branded as a D&D product, I'd probably ignore it until it was sub $10 on a Steam sale. As it is a D&D product, I'm severely annoyed and disappointed. Also, why always the Sword Coast? I mean, I hate most of the Forgotten Realms (the Moonshaes are cool, but don't really fit in with the rest of the realms at all), but the Sword Coast is the most boring, overused part of the Forgotten Realms.

• Like 1

After watching the posted video two things immediately sprang to mind, one was that I was bored nearly insensible by it, and the second was the pain of hearing those accents.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Looks very much like Dungeon Siege. I liked that game, particularly the second, but that's not what I want out of a D&D title. The idea of an editor is intriguing, as I played a major role in creating persistent worlds for NWN.

Also, when did Dragon Age: Origins become a "classic title"? That warm bowl of vanilla MMO conventions is not even a decade old. It's always a rude, minor shock when someone invokes DA:O as if the association is supposed to encourage interest, rather than repel it.

That warm bowl of vanilla MMO conventions is not even a decade old. It's always a rude, minor shock when someone invokes DA:O as if the association is supposed to encourage interest, rather than repel it.

That is the best description of Dragon Age I've ever seen. The only thing, and I do mean the ONLY thing that kept my interest in that game up long enough to reach it's predictable ending was that I named the War Hound companion after my dog.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I really don't know what to expect at the moment.

What I don't understand is the interest to have a mmo gameplay in a game that is not either pvp or raid instances oriented.

I mean, having a strong balance and fact paced combat are necessities in a mmo for obvious reasons, but in a crpg, even in a DM setting crpg, it's not necessary.

If I want to play a game that plays like a mmo, I play a mmo.

But at the moment, I am not sure if this is really how the game will be played. We know that some demo can be quite far from the final game.

I really like D&D computer games so I'm very interested Sword Coast Legends.  I'm not really a fan of the infinity engines games though I haven't really played them except for Icewinddale II.  The lower res images of the main characters in infinity games are a distraction for me.  I like Pool of Radiance: Ruins of myth drannor and Temple of Elemental Evil.

Also, when did Dragon Age: Origins become a "classic title"? That warm bowl of vanilla MMO conventions is not even a decade old. It's always a rude, minor shock when someone invokes DA:O as if the association is supposed to encourage interest, rather than repel it.

Because they are deliberately making a play for the sizable group of gamers, like me, who enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins but felt burned by Dragon Age 2 and, to a lesser extent, Inquisition.

• Like 1

From what I'm reading over there folks have definitely turned on the devs based on the info that has been released so far. Everything the D&D fans of old were hoping this would be... well it might not be.

Thomas Sowell

From what I'm reading over there folks have definitely turned on the devs based on the info that has been released so far. Everything the D&D fans of old were hoping this would be... well it might not be.

In its current version it WILL not be. Now lets see how devs react to this. I am sure they expected some backlash but so far they are not responding at all.

Well, I'd suggest anyone considering buying in to hold off. Or forget it entirely. Unless DA:O Lite appeals to you. At least until after release.

Just my $.02

Thomas Sowell

I think the latest 10 minutes video looks pretty great. I especially like the environment and that the party seems to talk to each other a lot. Shaders and combat effects and the whole UI needs an overhaul though.

I'm looking forward to it.

35167v4.jpg

It's....disappointing.  Some of the recent developments, most specifically that cooldowns are being used, since those are not typically associated with D&D-rules inspired gameplay.  Much debate has ensued, but I think the initial impressions were it would be more like BG/IWD in terms of its rules implementation, and less like DA:O.

I find myself a little less excited for SCL, but certainly not less interested.  Well, not yet.  I haven't seen enough of the game itself, and to see how the devs address this, to lose interest.

I was hoping for a much closer adaptation of the 5e rules, again, similar to how BG/IWD implemented 2e rules.  Cooldowns seem a rather significant step away from such, so it leads to me wondering how else have they strayed and what other core mechanics have been altered so significantly.  Doesn't mean the game itself will be bad of course, but it's certainly not quite what I had expected when they name dropped Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

If it's 5e-rules inspired as opposed to 5e-rules adapted, I'll be disappointed, but I don't think I'd grognard myself too much into not playing it at all.  It just means I have to continue to wait for Obsidian to finally get around to announcing/making a Pathfinder RPG-rules adapted game.  ;)

Edited by ZeshinX

I cant wait for this to release. I don't know jack about 5E so I cant pretend like they are harshing my buzz but I haven't liked anything since 2E anyway so it will be hard for them to screw this up for me. :lol: They are getting rid of all the annoying "pain mechanics" that makes you guys light up with glee but its like they are making the game for me. :yes: 

Anyone know whats up with Healing after battles / death? Auto-heal if everyone survives the fight?

• Like 2

Well, forget 2E, 5E, whatever. Does it have much in common with the D&D CRPGs we used to play? IE games, Gold Boxes, even NWN? Nope, not really. That much is crystal clear from how the combat plays in that gameplay video.

Will it still be fun? Well that's up to you. If you like how it looks, that's your call. But what's indisputable is that it's not got much to do with any of the D&D CRPGs it namedrops.

See my previous posts in this thread. The combat plays out in a way that has no similarity to all previous D&D CRPGs worth their salt. Its closer referents would be Dragon Age: Origins. Unless casting a spell called Fireball qualifies.

Youre referring to post 240? Nothing official by the developer though, right?

Regarding point 1, thank god that's gone.

Regarding point 2, with as "confused" as THAC0 makes newer players, this is probably a step in the right direction. PoE started out the same way, no missing.

I haven't seen anything on resting / healing and death / resurrection but hopefully there isn't any moronic limiters to those either.

The CEO of n-Space posted on one of the threads:

14 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:13 PM

Hello, all.

Earlier today I joined the forums and introduced myself. To recap, I'm Dan O'Leary, Co-Founder and CEO of n-Space. I've been catching up on things today and will continue to do so. I can't promise I'll be on every day, respond to every thread, or answer every question, but I am here and I am listening. So is the rest of the team, either personally or by proxy through others. We also watch Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc. Or try. We do have a game to make, after all.

So far I've seen a pretty good dialog overall on these forums. Some are happy about things that others are unhappy about. I won't address specific hot topic criticisms in this thread, but we are making notes to review with the team.

Thank you for being a part of this community. Stay frosty.

Well, the upshot is they are listening. He didn't give away much info but at least they are listening. I guess bitching might serve some purpose after all. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Youre referring to post 240? Nothing official by the developer though, right?

Regarding point 1, thank god that's gone.

Regarding point 2, with as "confused" as THAC0 makes newer players, this is probably a step in the right direction. PoE started out the same way, no missing.

I haven't seen anything on resting / healing and death / resurrection but hopefully there isn't any moronic limiters to those either.

You're having a different discussion than me. You're talking about whether you like those changes or not and whether they seem fun to you. I obviously can't prove you wrong on that. What I'm saying is that those aspects show a very clear divergence from how D&D CRPGs of the past played, so much so that the combat gameplay we see in that video doesn't really evoke games like Baldur's Gate or NWN. That much is quite obvious from that video - unless you think we need to read the manual and play the full game to be able to tell. 

From what I know of you personally, I think you don't really enjoy hardcore RPG mechanics and would prefer a relatively casual and actiony romp. I don't mean that as an insult - and I don't think you'll take it as one, given your self-professed preferences. I think you may well enjoy SCL. Which is my point. I don't have a bone to grind with SCL not being my cup of tea - that's not a problem. I do think it was disingenious of them to announce themselves as the return of good old D&D CRPGs.

• Like 2

Yea, their announcement was totally false. It made many people hyped or at least hopeful (like me) and that has been smashed with the gameplay video (which was expected because the signs were there in images they posted earlier). 

As I said in multiple places, they can make any kind of game they want but why make a D&D game that is not really D&D but for lore.