New Real Time With Pause Dungeons & Dragons RPG - SWORD COAST LEGENDS

Infinitron

If they can make the DM client and world building+mod friendly on par with the original NWN I will buy it in an instant just to get back into those player made big worlds, but if it is just 4players with DM client (so 4v1) I will skip it unless the SP will get rated awesome.

Edited by Darkpriest

Meh, sounds like NWN 1.5 and I loathed NWN. Will pay mild attention (primarily for potential lulz), expecting tepid at best SP and lots of dlc baiting MP emphasis.

Not sure where you're even getting that; it looks more like a RTwP ToEE. The only similarities I see are in the setting and the perspective.

ToEE is SP only, TB, 2d. This game is SP/MP, RTwP, 3d and has a DM mode plus mod tools.

That sounds (and looks from the thumbnails) a whole lot more NWN than ToEE, even if TB/RT is ignored.

Uses per day is quite very different from cooldowns... come on, I don't need to write a paragraph on that, right?

Right, but five uses per day is five charges followed by a day long cooldown, is it not? At least from a distance there's not that much difference.

Breath weapons useable every N rounds? Is that not also a cooldown? Cooldowns have been around from well before computer games. So why the dislike? It's just a balance mechanic. The alternative, I suppose, are either unreliable powers, powers with a backlash, powers that rely on a limited resource, or powers too weak to be unbalancing when used every round.

No, you just made it sound similar by basically comparing apples and oranges from space with a telescope. Having one slot for Level 6 spells, having to choose which one to memorise, and then being able to cast it only once, is different from having a Super Spell that has a 5 minute cooldown - either there's still a chance I can cast it again in the same battle, or it is so ridiculously long a cooldown that I'm sometimes sitting there just waiting it to expire. Oh, and it also changes your tactics - in cooldowns, you might want to begin with your Super SPell for no other reason than to start its cooldown early, whereas its usage in use-per-day system would not introduce this weirdness. 

You're basically responding to a hypothetical Cooldown Hater - fair enough, there are many of them around. But my point is there are real differences between cooldown systems and use-per-day systems, never mind the similarities. And having played both of them, I know what I'd prefer in... a D&D game.

• Like 3

I am no longer buying any BioWare game, (have not since Mass Effect 1 on Xbox 360, which I did not complete because my 360 burned out; and then BioWare started their nickle-and-dime DLC business model, compounded with Origin spyware and a bunch of other appalling business decisions.  Which have made me refuse to support or buy anything from BioWare.  It's just the matter of principle. Anyway.  I will likely play this one.   In the past few years, many  BioWare employees left the company to start their own things,  and so far they have not picked up BioWare's disgusting business practices.  So they will get my support and money.

Edited by ktchong

I am no longer buying any BioWare game, (have not since Mass Effect 1 on Xbox 360, which I did not complete because my 360 burned out; and then BioWare started their nickle-and-dime DLC business model, and I refuse to support their appealing business practices.)   However, I will likely play this one.   In the past few years, many  BioWare employees left the company to start their own things,  and so far they have not picked up BioWare's disgusting business practices.

Those are EA business practices .

I am no longer buying any BioWare game, (have not since Mass Effect 1 on Xbox 360, which I did not complete because my 360 burned out; and then BioWare started their nickle-and-dime DLC business model, and I refuse to support their appealing business practices.)   However, I will likely play this one.   In the past few years, many  BioWare employees left the company to start their own things,  and so far they have not picked up BioWare's disgusting business practices.

Those are EA business practices .

You dunno about that.  It's hard to say whose business decisions were those.  However, let's look at how those business practices have been implemented:

Many of those business practices are exclusively implemented by BioWare and NOT by other EA business units.  Examples:

(1) the "BioWare Points" BS.  Only BioWarew was forcing customers to buy "points" - which were overpriced and over-bundled - to pay for their DLC.  DICE, Criterion and other EA studios are NOT doing that to force customers to buy points or credits.  

(2) BioWare no longer releases any "Game of the Year", "Gold", "Platinum", or any sort of "complete" edition that bundles the main games and all the DLC.  The last "complete" package released by BioWare was for the first Dragon Age.   BioWare wants customer to pay for every single piece of DLC, at full price, ALWAYS.   The other EA studios, ALL OF THEM, still release "complete" package a year or two after the initial releases.  It is only BioWare that does not.  BioWare is currently the ONLY  developer in the industry that does not release "complete" or GOTY edition for their games.  So that is also a BioWare-only business practice. 

(3) I have also observed that BioWare DLC is NEVER discounted, ever, (for the PC.)  It's been five years since  Mass Effect 2 was released, yet its DLC were  still selling at the full price as they were first released.  They were NEVER discounted.    The same goes for ALL the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series DLC.  All the other EA studios have discounted their DLC from time and tme.  EXCEPT BioWare.  It is like BioWare think they are special or something.  (They are NOT.)  BioWare would sell you the main game at heavily discounted price, but then the DLC are always sold at full "first-year" price.  It's like selling you the laser printer for cheap but then make you pay for all the overpriced cartridges.  Except in BioWare's case, you cannot get any "third-party" cartridges for cheap.

I gave you three examples.  But there are a few more.

Reasonably, I think those are business decisions made by BioWare, NOT EA.  If those are business directives from EA, I would expect ALL EA studios and business units to implement the same business policies.  That is not what I have observed.  It is only BioWare that have been pulling those BS.

So I blame BioWare rather than EA.  I know people love to blame EA for everything.  BUT, if you use logics and reasons, if you think critically, then you should come to the conclusion that it's BioWare, NOT EA, who made and implemented those business decisions.  (Otherwise, if it was EA's decisions, then all the other EA business units would have implemented the same things.)

Honestly, it really does not matter if those business decisions were made by EA or BioWare.  BioWare is the one that is implementing them.  And I am not going to support those exploitative business practices.b

Edited by ktchong
  • Like 3

EA is owner of Bioware and their publisher. They have control over everything and mostly over financial matters. You can be 100% sure EA decides on any pricing and discounts.

Still does not matter.  It does not matter who has the "control over everything": EA or BioWare.  I know I am not buying any BioWare product -- because BioWare products are the ones with those business policies and practices in place. 

I actually DO buy other products from other EA studios - because other EA studios are not pulling the same BS as BioWare does.  So it is only BioWare with whom I am NOT dealing due to their exploitative business practices.  Other EA studios and products do not seem to have the same problems.

Edited by ktchong

I'm really torn on this one.

On one hand, it looks like a very simplified version of DnD, built like Diablo 3. Marginal story, the main focus is co-op action and lootsplosion. Which I enjoyed in Diablo 3 and in Borderlands 2 etc., but those games don't have a lot of depth to the gameplay.

On the other hand, it's not an MMO like Dungeons and Dragons Online and Neverwinter, where the progress is severely inhibited to tug at your wallet. That's something, I guess.

Time will tell.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Sword Coast... Would it actually kill them to be creative? It's like calling the next Farcry, Gun Island. 

Coming to you Q4 2016... The long anticipated.. Gun Island. Pre order and reserve your copy today.

Actually Sword Coast is the official name of that region. It would be like calling next farcry, California Legends.
  • Like 1

Sword Coast... Would it actually kill them to be creative? It's like calling the next Farcry, Gun Island. 

Coming to you Q4 2016... The long anticipated.. Gun Island. Pre order and reserve your copy today.

Actually Sword Coast is the official name of that region. It would be like calling next farcry, California Legends.

At least they're consistent. I can't wait to reach the area, simply titled, Treasure Chest or Armored Castle or Heavy Rocks. 

At least they're consistent. I can't wait to reach the area, simply titled, Treasure Chest or Armored Castle or Heavy Rocks.

Well Forgotten Realms is full of such names (wood of sharp teeth). Is this your first D&D game?

Environments looks great, VFX meh, combat seems too fast paced, multiplayer sounds quite meh. I will keep an eye on it but not much hyped so far

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm guessing they'll be Dwarf, Elf, Human, Halfling, and... Half-orc?

What's the alternative to cooldowns? Uses per day? Meh, same diff really.

Maybe like in PnP. WTF you make a D&D game and change its basics. And if cooldows are so fun, PoE is full of tho.. ups it is not!

Cooldowns kill strategy and only leave tactics for combat. I can understand with these guys being DAO and ME devs decided to use cooldowns but I still don't like it in my D&D game. I at least hope character building options are going to be complex but I am afraid they are not.

Wait, what? Strategy? You're using that word in an odd sense. Once you're in a battle it's tactics that apply; even to the big picture within that combat. Perhaps you are thinking in terms of how your manage your expendable resources between combats?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Maybe like in PnP. WTF you make a D&D game and change its basics. And if cooldows are so fun, PoE is full of tho.. ups it is not!

Cooldowns kill strategy and only leave tactics for combat. I can understand with these guys being DAO and ME devs decided to use cooldowns but I still don't like it in my D&D game. I at least hope character building options are going to be complex but I am afraid they are not.

Wait, what? Strategy? You're using that word in an odd sense. Once you're in a battle it's tactics that apply; even to the big picture within that combat. Perhaps you are thinking in terms of how your manage your expendable resources between combats?

Yes, managing limited resources is part of strategy. Cooldowns remove all limited resources but time and focus completely on tactics.

"Reasonably, I think those are business decisions made by BioWare, NOT EA."

Reasonably they are made by EA since EA is BIO.

Also, LMAO, come into a non BIO thread to rant how evil they are. LMAO

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't have particularly high hopes for this, but I'd be willing to give it a try. I'm certainly not-preordering it, though.

And as for having people who worked on DA:O working on this...well...I suppose it could go either way. I really didn't care much for DA:O's combat (cooldowns...BOO...HISS!!!).

On the other hand, Gaider and Laidlaw aren't anywhere near it, so I guess it can't be too terrible...

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

Yes, managing limited resources is part of strategy. Cooldowns remove all limited resources but time and focus completely on tactics.

I understand your exaggerated perspective, but pretty much all cRPGs have some form of limited resources and event planning involved. Even those with cool downs and linear plots. If they didn't then player choice is eliminated and it wouldn't be an RPG. To me cooldowns are just a balancing mechanism, nothing more. Selecting a cooldown ability is functionally equivalent to choosing which magic armor to wear. If you want resource management, then carry potions, scrolls, wands, rods, and invest time in crafting.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."