About the first expansion

I would prefer it to be a continuation of the main storyline, but barring that, I would prefer one that adds distinct new maps with their own self-contained storyline, messes as little as possible with already existing maps, and is made with high-level characters in mind.

it's unlikely Obsidian was going to make micro-transaction oriented DLC like additional armor set or something. Not their style.

Paradox, though, is a different matter...

Let's just say, it's a good thing the kickstarter campaign compelled Obsidian to promise not to do it.

Obsidian hired Paradox to manage production and distribution. Otherwise Paradox has no vote in any kind of matters, including production of DLCs and expansions.

Also, Kickstarter did not make Obsidian "promise" anything about DLCs, except that an expansion will get made. If Obsidian suddenly decided to do 10 DLCs with one clothing item in each, nothing would stop them. But it's not Obsidian's style, so I'm not going to worry about that.

You do realize they are "selling" 8$ forum tags, which are just cosmetic and essentially a vanity item like DLC horse armor and skins. I have no problem with it, everyone is free to spend their money however they choose. But I wouldn't rule it out as Obsidian's style.

• Like 1

Tales of the Sword Coast, while okay for what it was, just felt like a series of short stories that were only tied together by their geographical proximity. It'd be interesting if the expansion actually built upon the ending of the main campaign, either by adding some new ending variants or carrying the story forward.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Bruce and I will write the character romances for free for PoE 2.

Can I be QA for you guys?

That would be awesome.

The romance I want to write the most is the one where when you play a ranger, your animal companion romances Sagani's fox (or whatever kind of animal she has, I don't remember) and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Bioware's got nothing on me.

• Like 6

The sequel will in fact be about romance. There will be several potential love interests some companions from pillars that you can choose to romance. However the one you choose to love will be snatched from you by Awakened souls of bears that have long history of the soul characteristic of "caring". You the player after the events of pillar of eternity learn you were in fact one of these bears. You must venture in the forest of care a lot and confront the bears and discover your hidden past, accomplish their tasks beset upon you and if you choose embrace caring nature of your soul or attempt to humble and teach the mighty bears there is more to life then caring such as love. 

This expansion features epic level content. Travel into mysterious divine planes and shatter foes with the power of caring. Learn the lore of the bears and how to care for those around to boost their combat prowess. 

• Like 1

Can I be QA for you guys?

Are you a writer Wafflebum? I imagine writing for Romance must be hard because the easy to please people like me aren't the ones who will complain....and there will always be that view from some " this Romance is juvenile"  

I know Namutree has created Mods before and he was talking about possibly creating Mods ?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

it's unlikely Obsidian was going to make micro-transaction oriented DLC like additional armor set or something. Not their style.

Paradox, though, is a different matter...

Let's just say, it's a good thing the kickstarter campaign compelled Obsidian to promise not to do it.

Obsidian hired Paradox to manage production and distribution. Otherwise Paradox has no vote in any kind of matters, including production of DLCs and expansions.

Also, Kickstarter did not make Obsidian "promise" anything about DLCs, except that an expansion will get made. If Obsidian suddenly decided to do 10 DLCs with one clothing item in each, nothing would stop them. But it's not Obsidian's style, so I'm not going to worry about that.

You do realize they are "selling" 8$ forum tags, which are just cosmetic and essentially a vanity item like DLC horse armor and skins. I have no problem with it, everyone is free to spend their money however they choose. But I wouldn't rule it out as Obsidian's style.

The expansion is an actual expansion (new areas, characters, etc.). This was already announced and decided during the Kickstarter campaign before partnering with Paradox. Do not fear, it's not "red boots" or other simple things like that.

Personally, I don't know any real details about it yet so can't elaborate on what it all involves/contains.

And those "$8 forum tags", that whole thing was started by the community to help us receive more funding during the Kickstarter campaign. We just decided to give them recognition in the forums in return for helping us out some more. (Thanks again Obsidian Order of Eternity!)

• Like 8

Twitter: @robyatadero

Heh, the only writing I've ever really done are scientific papers, which aren't the definition most people have of romance. I'm not entirely sure I could write a romance, but if I did it would inevitably turn out weird. It would likely be the sort of romance only people like Lephys could appreciate. Not to say I wouldn't be interested in trying to write something like that, but my programming abilities are on par with a man in his 80's that thinks computers are run by witchcraft. 

• Like 1

The expansion is an actual expansion (new areas, characters, etc.). This was already announced and decided during the Kickstarter campaign before partnering with Paradox. Do not fear, it's not "red boots" or other simple things like that.

Personally, I don't know any real details about it yet so can't elaborate on what it all involves/contains.

And those "$8 forum tags", that whole thing was started by the community to help us receive more funding during the Kickstarter campaign. We just decided to give them recognition in the forums in return for helping us out some more. (Thanks again Obsidian Order of Eternity!)

My apologies. I wasn't aware this was related to the early Kickstarter campaign.

umm everyone knows that red boot DLC is just a joke right? when you click it, the game literally say

"you didn't really think we would put DLC in wasteland 2 right?"

the the ok option is basically "of course not"

it's kinda inexile mocking AAA publisher with their DLC practices

umm everyone knows that red boot DLC is just a joke right? when you click it, the game literally say

"you didn't really think we would put DLC in wasteland 2 right?"

the the ok option is basically "of course not"

it's kinda inexile mocking AAA publisher with their DLC practices

Thats_the_joke.png

Yes, everyone knows that. The "Red Boot" is just a label for piecemeal DLC.

t50aJUd.jpg

sorry looks like i just embarrassed myself in front of everyone >_>

and yeah, i have faith in obsidian, plus unlike other publisher-developer relationship, the fund of the development doesn't come from paradox and they don't have any control over the content, unlike say, parasitic relationship between blood sucking EA and poor dying bioware :p

the expansion pack at the very best will be like shivering island, all new vegas DLC, throne of bhaal, or even the best one, mask of the betrayer, at the very least tales of the sword coast thingy.

Heh, the only writing I've ever really done are scientific papers, which aren't the definition most people have of romance. I'm not entirely sure I could write a romance, but if I did it would inevitably turn out weird. It would likely be the sort of romance only people like Lephys could appreciate. Not to say I wouldn't be interested in trying to write something like that, but my programming abilities are on par with a man in his 80's that thinks computers are run by witchcraft.

I would love to read romance, written by you, in the style that Lephys would appreciate, possibly featuring regular posters on this forum as the protagonists =P.

Want to know what kind of expansion is going to be, i mean is not a dlc of red boots right?,  i ask because i have the option to add $20 for the expansion on the backer options and i really want to know if it worth it. (i am not going to pay $20 for red boots dlc or something like that).

Did you actually think the Red Boots DLC was real?

The sequel will in fact be about romance. There will be several potential love interests some companions from pillars that you can choose to romance. However the one you choose to love will be snatched from you by Awakened souls of bears that have long history of the soul characteristic of "caring". You the player after the events of pillar of eternity learn you were in fact one of these bears. You must venture in the forest of care a lot and confront the bears and discover your hidden past, accomplish their tasks beset upon you and if you choose embrace caring nature of your soul or attempt to humble and teach the mighty bears there is more to life then caring such as love.

This expansion features epic level content. Travel into mysterious divine planes and shatter foes with the power of caring. Learn the lore of the bears and how to care for those around to boost their combat prowess.

Best covert description of the month =P.

And you forgot

: You will team up with the most powerful being - Eric Cartman to hunt down terrible, monstrous, abomination, who wants to destroy the World, called Man-bear-pig ;)

tumblr_m6dzoz3jjm1r82hlmo1_1280.jpg

Edited by DarkWanderer

Heh, the only writing I've ever really done are scientific papers, which aren't the definition most people have of romance. I'm not entirely sure I could write a romance, but if I did it would inevitably turn out weird. It would likely be the sort of romance only people like Lephys could appreciate. Not to say I wouldn't be interested in trying to write something like that, but my programming abilities are on par with a man in his 80's that thinks computers are run by witchcraft.

And witchcraft might that be? 6_u

Jokes aside, I'm actually very objective when it comes to romance. Really, it's no different from combat or anything else. I'm more interested in how its inclusion/design relates to the story and goings-on of things, than "ooooh! Swordfight!". If a situation didn't call for an elaborate swordfight, then I'd much rather see some other stuff than that.

With romance, I'd be concerned with how it alters the state of characters and the choices they make, and hardly-at-all concerned with "I just want to witness some romance," like the game is a cake, and romance is somehow just icing you can smear on top of it in any amount, wherever you'd like.

Anywho, I don't want to derail this thread, but I just wanted to say, I'm a silly person, but in all seriousness (for the record), you'd be surprised the romances I'd appreciate and the ones I wouldn't, methinks. original.gif

Did you actually think the Red Boots DLC was real?

Red Boots DLC would be so redundant. You can already wear boots (can't you? Man my memory sucks), and you can already choose the colors of your attire from character creation. For this reason, it should be Textureless Boots DLC. u_u

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u