Yes. Piracy does affect them more than financially in this case.

If pirates leak an unfinished copy, then it hurts faith people have in Obsidian. It's not them saying "oh, those poor pirates, stealing our products, we need to think of them".

There's a straight forward fix for this. When the game gets printed on DVDs, go ahead and release the entire thing on the beta SKU. They will continue to get feedback from people who want to test or play the "incomplete" version. No harm no foul.

Staggering the disc release sounds far more complicated to me.

Good news, can't wait for the release, really like how the books are lokking. One question, is the collectors book available only to pledges of 250$ and up, or will it be available in digital form in the 110$ pledge?

There are no addresses in this page, and no option to add them. ??

On the other hand, while I think that Wizards suffer from a lack of thematically interesting spells in some regards (let's say I want to be a Fire Wizard, there's only 1-2 fire spells per Spell Level, it seems), it is hi-lar-ious to play a fire-based wizard. I just created a fire-based wizard for the first time, and although this is rather end-game-ish (I was level 8, the rest of the BB party I didn't even levelup, I just wanted to test Wall of Flame for you), with Scion of Flame (+20% Burn Dmg), I turned the fight against Medreth into a burning inferno, ending up killing my party along with Medreth's group, firewalls crossing the field of battle, balls of flame roiling through everyone, fireballs flying.

Good times.

Your "Game Over" screen should've included Smokey the Bear.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

On the other hand, while I think that Wizards suffer from a lack of thematically interesting spells in some regards (let's say I want to be a Fire Wizard, there's only 1-2 fire spells per Spell Level, it seems), it is hi-lar-ious to play a fire-based wizard. I just created a fire-based wizard for the first time, and although this is rather end-game-ish (I was level 8, the rest of the BB party I didn't even levelup, I just wanted to test Wall of Flame for you), with Scion of Flame (+20% Burn Dmg), I turned the fight against Medreth into a burning inferno, ending up killing my party along with Medreth's group, firewalls crossing the field of battle, balls of flame roiling through everyone, fireballs flying.

Good times.

Your "Game Over" screen should've included Smokey the Bear.

Oh, no, I didn't die, I mean, obviously.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm fine with both options, but if you should choose to delay the whole expedition I think it would be better, as you can save the money for better use (like more game developement or such).
Personally I really prefer to have a good 1.0 build game disc and if the other physical stuff will ship in delay with the disc I'm not gonna cry: I'm a patient man and I take pleasure from perfection. ;):thumbsup:

I think they should spend all the shipping money saved from option 2 on cookies. Victory cookies. Of majesty and splendor.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The guidebook says "Volume 1". Does that mean it covers all content for this game? With future games to be covered by consecutive volumes? Or is it saying that this is only part of the lore for the first game and that post-release more volumes will be released?

The "Pillars of Eternity Guidebook: Volume one", (112 pages, published by Dark Horse) is the "Collector's Book" from the Kickstarter, and is included (in digital form) for backers of the $35 and up tiers. (and physically for the $250 and up tiers.) For the current digital pre-orders, it's only included in the Royal Edition. This will contain lore and art. "Volume One", because yeah, an expansion or sequel could very well spawn another Collector's Book, and it's nice to start numbering from the start. Doubt there are concrete plans already, though.

The Strategy Guide (400+ pages, published by Prima) is included in the $80 and up Kickstarter tiers, ONLY in digital form. Also included in the digital Royal Edition pre-order. If you want the physical version of that, you'll have to pony up yourself.

The Campaign Almanac, (35 pages, no separate publisher) Included in Kickstarter tiers of $50 and up. For the current pre-orders, it's included in both the Champion and Royal edition. The Almanac is an "in-character" description of the world and lore, and looks like a lot of fun. Only exists in digital form.

• Like 1

For those who would like a meatier look inside the Collector' Book, there's a good preview on Amazon.

Looks pretty darn neat :)

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 3 weeks later...

You say we digital version backers will get our download keys on the 26th, does that mean we can't preload the game like a pre-purchase person does? Even though we backed it, (some of us from the start) we will get our keys sometime during the 26th and then we can download when, or even after those that didn't back the game.

Seems kind of wrong to me.

Help is good when asked for,

Better when needed.

You say we digital version backers will get our download keys on the 26th, does that mean we can't preload the game like a pre-purchase person does? Even though we backed it, (some of us from the start) we will get our keys sometime during the 26th and then we can download when, or even after those that didn't back the game.

Seems kind of wrong to me.

This info is now out of date. Last we heard Brandon said keys would go out on Monday or Tuesday.

• Like 1

Well, color me impressed Obsidian - my Collector's Edition swag showed up at my door today, amazing! T-shirt, linen map, patch, etc. All nice quality.

Well done guys, particularly what with all the issues associated with delivering a Kickstarter these days.

Oh, and the game rocks too!  ;)