Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #89: Backer Rewards

Update Backer Rewards Pillars of Eternity

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

that almanac is actually way cooler than I anticipated, and I'm glad I'm getting it. I love the idea of it being like a journal kinda thing. So, how is the strategy guide being handled, since it seems like changes are being made on a daily bases, when will the strategy guide folks get a copy of the real game to know what they're writing about? I would be fine if there's a delay with that. It's a pet peeve of mine when you get a guide book that's got inconsistencies and old data in it.

• samm likes this

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The issue isn't really that people are going to pirate it. We know some people will. It is inevitable. Most of those people probably weren't going to buy the game anyways.

The real problem is two-fold:

1. Pirates getting to play the game before our backers. Not only is it a bad thing for all of the people that backed us and waited patiently, but Obsidian would get hurt by a loss in early sales.
  2. People playing a game that isn't final and having that get spread around the internet.

We have been talking about this for a while with Paradox trying to come up with a good solution, but our DRM-free requirement ends up limiting what we can do. Hopefully, this will be a good compromise for the backers so that, if people want their cool physical rewards, they won't have to wait on those.

I forgot the name of the game that came out a few yrs ago, but it had a pink monster in the pirated version that the dev's put out and it had like a million HP and was way OP killing everyone. I think you should do something like that, so the folks who steal it get their bums handed to them. So maybe everything is ultra ironman mode or something.

Aarionn

Aarionn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thank you for the update!

Question: Is collector's book and guide book two separate things? I will receive collector's book with my pledge, but if it is not the same I need to pre-order that guide book :).

And I really do not care if I get my rewards month or two after the game. I waited patiently so long for this game as was the case with Wasteland 2. Will I get rewards one month or two after the game release is not important.

I think you should do all that is possible to secure that you get as much initial sales as possible and to communicate your decisions with backer community. I think everyone here wants that your game be a huge success both in terms of a greatness of the game and financial success. After all, we want more RPG games from you!!!!!!

Best,

Aa

• Rostere likes this

robbo007

robbo007

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Is there any chance you guys can do a limited printed run of the Almanac? This would be very cool in a physical book form like the guide book. I'd happily pay extra for it.

• AndreaColombo likes this

izzy

izzy

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for the update :)

TheisEjsing

TheisEjsing

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 823 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Great update. The books are looking way cool! Can't wait to fail this semester reading fiction!

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, not a fan of that reason.

Same effect and better PR would have been to say "We want to give you the best version possible/work as close to release as possible on it"

Or just leave the *We're doing it for YOU* out of it due to bad history.

Mainly "We're doing it for YOU* in terms of DRM/Piracy immediatly lets one recall all the ****ty DRM of the past, because that was also mostly used when selling the concept of DRM to customers.  It's best avoided.

Thats just a tip of course.

Edited by C2B, 12 February 2015 - 01:05 AM.

• samm, Sensuki, Valsuelm and 1 other like this

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The issue isn't really that people are going to pirate it. We know some people will. It is inevitable. Most of those people probably weren't going to buy the game anyways.

The real problem is two-fold:

1. Pirates getting to play the game before our backers. Not only is it a bad thing for all of the people that backed us and waited patiently, but Obsidian would get hurt by a loss in early sales.
  2. People playing a game that isn't final and having that get spread around the internet.

We have been talking about this for a while with Paradox trying to come up with a good solution, but our DRM-free requirement ends up limiting what we can do. Hopefully, this will be a good compromise for the backers so that, if people want their cool physical rewards, they won't have to wait on those.

I don't care if a "pirate" plays the game before me. I only care that the game is as good as I expect it to be and the satisfaction of the revival of non AAA blockbuster rpgs (though this game would have been a AAA back in the early 00's; but budgets have moved forward I guess :p ).

• Valsuelm likes this

AlekzanderZ

AlekzanderZ

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't mind getting the disc later. I really don't. I would even say it's completely irrelevant to me. I mean it. believe me.

Waswat

Waswat

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm having issues reading a gothic-styled font. All the letters seem to blend together and form an almost incohesive text which makes reading it a chore for me. Does anyone have a plain text version of the pre-almanac?

Edited by Waswat, 12 February 2015 - 02:45 AM.

• Messier-31 likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5390 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Is there any chance you guys can do a limited printed run of the Almanac? This would be very cool in a physical book form like the guide book. I'd happily pay extra for it.

+1

Mymla

Mymla

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts

Why would you use a disc to install anything after you finished your Windows installation?

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2649 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why would you use a disc to install anything after you finished your Windows installation?

Everybody don't have good internet connection or even possibility to access one.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The surrounding lore in the form of the Almanac and the Guidebook are exceptional! I just finished reading the pictures attached to the original posting with much delight :) Looking forward to the game and its world even more now. Great job on these items!

Regarding the physical copy - I really don't mind a later shipment, as it will save Obsidian some cost, which is why I voted for the second option. I do not mind getting two parcels however, so I don't begrudge the majority vote.

There is one thing I object to in the original post, and that is how DRM seems to be perceived as a problem solver on the developers' side, in that it prevents an unfinished game from leaking early. While in truth, the backer beta already represents the game in an unfinished state, and yes, it is available "for demo purposes" despite Steam. I was secretly hoping that only publishers would promote DRM, however it seems that devs themselves have been washed into thinking in their terms (even if the promotion in the original post only happens unconsciously!).

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm having issues reading a gothic-styled font. All the letters seem to blend together and form an almost incohesive text which makes reading it a chore for me. Does anyone have a plain text version of the pre-almanac?

From my own experience, I recommend you read a few pages or even a book in the - at first - harder to read font. The brain adapts quite quickly and from then on, you'll have no problem reading that :)

• Flow likes this

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Book and the Almanac - how many pages?

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5390 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Book is 121 pages according to Amazon.
  • Messier-31 likes this

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I love the Vailain lore. Definitely going to play a Vailian.

• Messier-31 likes this

monosco

monosco

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

If there is going to be a delay on the physical cd, I'd like to see physical backers receive 2 digital copies.

I personally pledged at a level that would enable me and a friend to both play the game at launch, and now it sounds like one of us will have to wait a significant amount of time or we'll have to buy an additional copy.

Other than that, everything looks awesome!

Grivenger

Grivenger

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Honestly, I don't mind waiting for the physical disc if I'm getting an alternative digital version I get to install on launch day. The biggest reason I backed at this level was for the physical goods.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Update, Backer Rewards, Pillars of Eternity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users