Regarding physical rewards:

The level at which I backed had a "thank you" postcard as a reward among otherwise only digital rewards. Is this a digital reward as well?

As I have no way to enter my address anywhere, nor do I remember entering it at some point.

There should have been a place to fill out your address in the backer portal when you were selecting all of your options (even if all you are getting is the thank you card). You have a silver badge, so I assume you did it. If you need help, contact support on the backer site to check with us about your address on file. 

Thanks.

Guess I'll have to contact support then. As I'll be moving to another city close to the release date.

Totally fine with either option.

Yeah, maybe someone thought to gift the extra digital copy and will now be in a bind of having paid but not getting to play.

But... that might be a hypothetical problem, did someone?

Yeah, I absolutely did and I think a lot of others did too.

Regarding physical rewards:

The level at which I backed had a "thank you" postcard as a reward among otherwise only digital rewards. Is this a digital reward as well?

As I have no way to enter my address anywhere, nor do I remember entering it at some point.

There should have been a place to fill out your address in the backer portal when you were selecting all of your options (even if all you are getting is the thank you card). You have a silver badge, so I assume you did it. If you need help, contact support on the backer site to check with us about your address on file. 

So Adam, no word on if there will be a digital version of the collector's book available for purchase?

Or, dare I say it, a kindle edition! ;-)

If I'm not a backer can I purchase a physical copy upon release?

According to the update, there seems to be a physical retail option available for non-backers.

What about me, the digital backer?

For those of you who are digital backers, you would not be affected by this at all – you’ll still get the choice of a Steam or GOG.com key on March 26th.

For anyone planning to buy the physical retail version (not the physical backer version), that one uses Steam, so it would also be patched up after connecting to Steam.

"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."

ALDNOAH ZERO

If I'm not a backer can I purchase a physical copy upon release?

Yes, you may even preorder one now from Amazon. However, all retail physical copies will use Steam (no GoG.com option).

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It's been a really long time since I backed, I don't even remember what I put as my address, or what I backed the game with. Where can I find this info and change it if need be?

Log into the Pillars of Eternity website, choose Manage Pledges, at the bottom of that page is a FAQ and the last choice offers a link to the "visiting the Addresses tab of your Account Profile".

Per the PAX South video, did I see correctly that there is no "friendly fire" from that flame wall spell? Or is that based upon a difficulty setting? I haven't played the beta so I don't know what's possible.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Good news, can't wait for the release, really like how the books are lokking. One question, is the collectors book available only to pledges of 250$ and up, or will it be available in digital form in the 110$ pledge?

For the printed version, it is included at the $250 pledges and up. I believe for the digital form it starts at the $35 pledges and up. In the latest update from Obsidian, you can purchase the collector's book by itself from select retailers like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Random House. Hope this helps. :)

Per the PAX South video, did I see correctly that there is no "friendly fire" from that flame wall spell? Or is that based upon a difficulty setting? I haven't played the beta so I don't know what's possible.

I think there is no friendly fire.

I am 100% sure it doesn't depend on the difficulty setting.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Aw, man...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Aw, man...

There is Friendly Fire in the game, but it doesn't apply to all spells, and I can confirm that in v435, Wall of Flame does not cause Friendly Fire, for whatever reason.

The game is a bit inconsistent in what causes Friendly Fire and what doesn't. Some spells say "AoE", some say "Hazard AoE", and another says "Foe AoE". Out of these, I know that Foe AoE is only supposed to hit enemies, but the rest I have no clue. So it's all guesswork.

The description of Wall of Flame suggests that it's supposed to cause Friendly Fire, though.

But it doesn't.

And goddammit the whole "Combat Only" thing is annoying. I couldn't even initiate with Wall of Fire just to try it out, I had to actually start combat, so forget about setting up a Wall of Fire when initiating combat.

t50aJUd.jpg

On the other hand, while I think that Wizards suffer from a lack of thematically interesting spells in some regards (let's say I want to be a Fire Wizard, there's only 1-2 fire spells per Spell Level, it seems), it is hi-lar-ious to play a fire-based wizard. I just created a fire-based wizard for the first time, and although this is rather end-game-ish (I was level 8, the rest of the BB party I didn't even levelup, I just wanted to test Wall of Flame for you), with Scion of Flame (+20% Burn Dmg), I turned the fight against Medreth into a burning inferno, ending up killing my party along with Medreth's group, firewalls crossing the field of battle, balls of flame roiling through everyone, fireballs flying.

Good times.

But yeah, I think that Wall of Flame should definitely cause FF AoE, but it doesn't.

t50aJUd.jpg

Hi, there is friendly fire, though some spells targer only enemies. It also depends on the difficulty setting if I recall.

Good news, can't wait for the release, really like how the books are lokking. One question, is the collectors book available only to pledges of 250$ and up, or will it be available in digital form in the 110$ pledge?

For the printed version, it is included at the $250 pledges and up. I believe for the digital form it starts at the $35 pledges and up. In the latest update from Obsidian, you can purchase the collector's book by itself from select retailers like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Random House. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the info :)

Hi, there is friendly fire, though some spells targer only enemies. It also depends on the difficulty setting if I recall.

Fairly sure it doesn't, mate.

I am disappointed by two things in your update.

Firstly, why are you allowing pirating to influence your decisions in any way? They never gave you a dime and yet their experience with the game seems important to you.

Secondly, this really does not bode well for the release date. You are saying you won't be done with a majority of issues prior to the release date.

A better decision is to delay again until you get it right.

Edited by talharbash

^ You sure you read the update right?

I am disappointed by two things in your update.

Firstly, why are you allowing pirating to influence your decisions in any way? They never gave you a dime and yet their experience with the game seems important to you.

Secondly, this really does not bode well for the release date. You are saying you won't be done with a majority of issues prior to the release date.

A better decision is to delay again until you get it right.

Just thought I'd log in to LOL.

Please share your drug of choice, I'd like to buy some.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I hope y'all realize that no matter what you do, the game is going to be pirated. It will be. Probably within a week of release date.

I mean, not by me--I have no need, I gave y'all my money already. I'm just saying, regardless of which option you take and what you do or don't do, the game is going to be pirated by some. You have to accept that going in.

They are not in denial of this, in fact they already said that they know the game will be pirated and that most of those people probably weren't going to buy the game anyway so it wasn't a huge concern.

They never said pirating was not a concern, let alone a huge concern. 

Especially if people who were never going to buy it are pirating it.

This idea that devs are cool and don't worry about piracy because only The Man does that needs to stop.

The game would technically be unfinished.

They were not talking about pirates.

Edited by Bryy

This is what they said in their update:

"If it’s leaked early, it hurts everyone, both in the short and long term. It hurts you, the backers, who have waited with immense patience for the game, and you should be the first folks to get to play it. It hurts those who play an incomplete version of the game; that hurts us as a developer, which in turn hurts us as a business, and what may become of future projects."

They're concerned a leak copy is "incomplete." Honestly, it sounds like they do care about the impact of piracy.

This is what they said in their update:

"If it’s leaked early, it hurts everyone, both in the short and long term. It hurts you, the backers, who have waited with immense patience for the game, and you should be the first folks to get to play it. It hurts those who play an incomplete version of the game; that hurts us as a developer, which in turn hurts us as a business, and what may become of future projects."

They're concerned a leak copy is "incomplete." Honestly, it sounds like they do care about the impact of piracy.

Yes. Piracy does affect them more than financially in this case.

If pirates leak an unfinished copy, then it hurts faith people have in Obsidian. It's not them saying "oh, those poor pirates, stealing our products, we need to think of them".