Backer Reward Shipment Poll

Shipment Poll  

1419 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to receive your physical rewards?

• I would prefer to get my physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date.
    • I would prefer to get my physical rewards and game discs at the same time. I understand this may mean I will get my physical backer rewards a few weeks late.

Understand the concern about getting the game leaked in a unfinished state, sounds like you are handling this the right way. 

As of the vote I'll pick number one - really want my "game swag" to be in my hands at release, the game disc dosn't matter to me - I'm all about the digital copies! 

With a rough 3:1 split, I think it may be prudent to actually offer this as an actual choice to the backers. 

Not sure how feasible it would be, logistics wise. But would be nice.

If Obsidian/Paradox does decide to split up the shipment process, might I suggest a third option? Retail (Steam) disc with code. Would also fix the problem for those with limited internet bandwidth or who intended to share their extra digital key with a friend.

So,

Option #1: DEFAULT. Goodies soon, DRM-free game disc later.

Option #2: Goodies and DRM-free game disc later.

Option #3: Goodies and Retail(Steam+code) disc soon.

That should cover just about everyone's bases, right? Or am I missing a group?

• Like 1

I suspect the issue is that in order to be DRM-free, the game has to be playable off the disc without any further patching.  But that means that, if the disc is to be delivered on time, it will need to be manufactured with a v0.9-ish version of the game that might be obsolete by the time the game launches.  Thus the disc (which is the most likely copy for early pirate-wannabes to get) might still be buggy, which could lead to morons people complaining about bugs that have actually been fixed it legitimate copies of the game. 

This could all be avoided if the game disc cannot be run without patching.  The problem then is that the game disc will only be functional as long as Obsidian maintains the server(s) that handle the patching.  Now I'm sure Obsidian is not out to screw players and would keep the server up as long as possible.  But nothing lasts forever; eventually Obsidian will close, or we'll all switch to a totally new internet, or what have you.  At that point, the autopatcher has become the worst sort of DRM: the kind that prevents honest customers from using the product.

That's why Obsidian feels the need to send the DRM-free game disc to customers well after the official release date.

In other words, you're saying that their intent is that the DRM version will never ever get another patch. I somehow doubt this is the case; they're clearly going to patch the DRM-free version, so the exact same method they're going to use after launch can be used to ensure that the 1.0 patch is available for players that receive the disk.

Hell, some people are suggesting that the intent for wanting to delay is to prevent someone from ripping the game from the disk and putting it up for piracy. Releasing a somewhat non-functional pre-1.0 version to the manufacturer and expecting the players to download a patch that completes it seems like the BEST solution; if the early access version basically won't work, then it doesn't matter if someone leaks it from the factory! The version on the disk could even be basically the whole game as it exists right now, but forced to run the current beta until it gets the 1.0 patch, if they wanted to be fancy about the whole matter (but that would be a lot of work).

If the manual or installer says "Go to this URL to get the release patch", or even checks there automatically (which is not a DRM service), then it's the person's fault for not paying attention. This is not an unsolved problem; players used to deal with this before the Steam days, and while Steam and other DRM services fixed the problem conclusively, that doesn't mean the old methods don't work.

No, I'm not saying that.  Once they have created a DRM free disc, they will also have a way to patch it.  The key is that patching will be optional, so the disc itself is a live copy of the game.

The copy of the game used to create the discs (which must be created well in advance of the actual release) is the most likely source for pirated copies before the game launches.  If Obsidian is really worried about pirated copies, the discs are going to be the point of failure.

Remember, the autopatcher wouldn't be running until the game is launched.  If priates do get a copy of the game in advance, they would have to play that copy - potential bugs and all. Likewise, if Obsidian is desperate to avoid pirated copies getting out before the official release (and thus harming sales), the problem would be the same.  The best way to avoid early piracy is to delay printing DRM-free discs.

It's true companies used to take that risk, but that's because they had no choice.  Obsidian DOES have a choice, and they've indicated that they would prefer to ship two parcels (or delay the disc release) and lean on digital distribution rather than face the added risk.

Not sure that would be my choice, but then I'm not a game developer.

Awesome!  Cant wait. 

As to the poll:  Ideally I would have liked a third option to have two "live" dates -  one for us and one for the public -  but that might not be practical either.  Given the two choices here I voted for the first, although I hope that does not incur too much in the way of additional shipping charges to you all.

Thanks for asking though!

I suspect the issue is that in order to be DRM-free, the game has to be playable off the disc without any further patching.  But that means that, if the disc is to be delivered on time, it will need to be manufactured with a v0.9-ish version of the game that might be obsolete by the time the game launches.  Thus the disc (which is the most likely copy for early pirate-wannabes to get) might still be buggy, which could lead to morons people complaining about bugs that have actually been fixed it legitimate copies of the game. 

This could all be avoided if the game disc cannot be run without patching.  The problem then is that the game disc will only be functional as long as Obsidian maintains the server(s) that handle the patching.  Now I'm sure Obsidian is not out to screw players and would keep the server up as long as possible.  But nothing lasts forever; eventually Obsidian will close, or we'll all switch to a totally new internet, or what have you.  At that point, the autopatcher has become the worst sort of DRM: the kind that prevents honest customers from using the product.

That's why Obsidian feels the need to send the DRM-free game disc to customers well after the official release date.

In other words, you're saying that their intent is that the DRM version will never ever get another patch. I somehow doubt this is the case; they're clearly going to patch the DRM-free version, so the exact same method they're going to use after launch can be used to ensure that the 1.0 patch is available for players that receive the disk.

Hell, some people are suggesting that the intent for wanting to delay is to prevent someone from ripping the game from the disk and putting it up for piracy. Releasing a somewhat non-functional pre-1.0 version to the manufacturer and expecting the players to download a patch that completes it seems like the BEST solution; if the early access version basically won't work, then it doesn't matter if someone leaks it from the factory! The version on the disk could even be basically the whole game as it exists right now, but forced to run the current beta until it gets the 1.0 patch, if they wanted to be fancy about the whole matter (but that would be a lot of work).

If the manual or installer says "Go to this URL to get the release patch", or even checks there automatically (which is not a DRM service), then it's the person's fault for not paying attention. This is not an unsolved problem; players used to deal with this before the Steam days, and while Steam and other DRM services fixed the problem conclusively, that doesn't mean the old methods don't work.

No, I'm not saying that.  Once they have created a DRM free disc, they will also have a way to patch it.  The key is that patching will be optional, so the disc itself is a live copy of the game.

The copy of the game used to create the discs (which must be created well in advance of the actual release) is the most likely source for pirated copies before the game launches.  If Obsidian is really worried about pirated copies, the discs are going to be the point of failure.

Remember, the autopatcher wouldn't be running until the game is launched.  If priates do get a copy of the game in advance, they would have to play that copy - potential bugs and all. Likewise, if Obsidian is desperate to avoid pirated copies getting out before the official release (and thus harming sales), the problem would be the same.  The best way to avoid early piracy is to delay printing DRM-free discs.

It's true companies used to take that risk, but that's because they had no choice.  Obsidian DOES have a choice, and they've indicated that they would prefer to ship two parcels (or delay the disc release) and lean on digital distribution rather than face the added risk.

Not sure that would be my choice, but then I'm not a game developer.

I wonder  then, how do they intend to patch the game for disc only users?

I asked the question a bit earlier but kinda got ignored and I'm curious about it.

Cause they surely have a way to patch the game in that case right?

Some sort of standalone installer kinda like Beamdog do it with their EE? Or just some .exe to DL somewhere and to execute?

I wonder  then, how do they intend to patch the game for disc only users?

I asked the question a bit earlier but kinda got ignored and I'm curious about it.

Cause they surely have a way to patch the game in that case right?

Some sort of standalone installer kinda like Beamdog do it with their EE? Or just some .exe to DL somewhere and to execute?

I would imagine and hope in the same manner as patches were offered by most companies for many years and are still offered with some companies. Through a standalone installer, .exe, or compressed file to extract that you download from the software manufacturer's website or some other website that they designate.

Excuse my ignorance here but I have to ask, for those of us getting a collector's edition that also includes a "digital copy", how is that copy distributed? it is as a code in the actual physical box or by some other means?

I think some people may be getting confused in regards to that, myself included.

Ignore my last post, I read that you get the key from the website, not in with the box as a code or anything like that.

Taking that into consideration, #2 seems most appropriate to me, especially if it's going to save on shipping costs and such.

Stop being selfish and go with #2. You want money wasted on SHIPPING?? Really? We've already waited years for the game, waiting another month or two for the physical goods isn't going to kill you and you can still download a copy of the game to play on Steam. Everyone saying "Voted #1 but whichever way is fine with me" if you really feel that way, save Obsidian some cash and vote #2.

Stop being selfish and go with #2. You want money wasted on SHIPPING?? Really? We've already waited years for the game, waiting another month or two for the physical goods isn't going to kill you and you can still download a copy of the game to play on Steam. Everyone saying "Voted #1 but whichever way is fine with me" if you really feel that way, save Obsidian some cash and vote #2.

Did you read the update? If Obsdian thought the extra shipping was going to be a problem, they probably wouldn't be telling us...

...we really prefer option #1

No good answer for this one as no matter what choice is made there will be backers upset.  I do appreciate you folks at Obsidian for bring this up and asking for input from the backers, so thank you.  

For myself I would prefer to have all the physical items arrive together, I chose the Collectors box tier for a reason.  I've got a digital version I will use to play anyway.  Besides, as others have said I'd rather not see the extra money spent on costs for multiple shipments.

• Like 3

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.

I don't know how you can see those pages of the Collector's Book and not want it ASAP.  I want it as early as possible, and definitely before I play the game.

Waiting for the next installment of "Song of Ice and Fire" kind of dulls the sense of urgency.

I thought it was going to be a trilogy...

^ The book, game episode, or television season? :)

If it's the book, and you're bored, check out Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive series (currently 2 books).

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Voted for physical rewards at launch, game discs later, but the truth is that I'm not too hung up on it one way or the other. Either works fine for me - My bandwidth restrictions make downloading the game an unattractive proposition, so I'll likely end up waiting to play it until the discs are here anyway.

I voted for option #1: It is a good idea to protect the game against illegal copies during the shippment period.

Of course this will delay the pirating of the game only for a few days but with a little luck long enough until every backer gets his copy first. (Steamkey, e. g.).

Some weeks before we talked about getting or not getting the "making of...-DVD".

Regarding the outcome of this poll (for disc shippment) this could be a good chance to produce the "making of... DVD" and ship it together with the game disc(s).

In this case there will be no excuse for not getting the "making of... DVD" instead of a "making of... download".

This DVD would be the better choice than any kind of notepad or what ever should replace this DVD.

Edited by lightblade75
  • Like 3