Backer Reward Shipment Poll

Shipment Poll  

1419 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to receive your physical rewards?

• I would prefer to get my physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date.
    • I would prefer to get my physical rewards and game discs at the same time. I understand this may mean I will get my physical backer rewards a few weeks late.

I pledged for the CE of W2, and was quite happy to wait a substantial amount of time for my boxed goodies and the disc to pop through in the post (I'm in England, so it took even longer)

As long as option 2 includes the option to have a digital copy too, it's no difference to me. Just dont wanna cost Obsidian any more money than I need to ;)

I voted for #1 but relevant question is sending 2 items costs more than 1 and creates more failure possibility's.

Thinking of this drawback against the Problem that Version 1 will not be the last and that after some time it's 1 patch more or less I don't see the relevance in the long term.

Except for the Big wohaa when opening the package inserting the DVD and during install searching and reading through all the goodies like the god old days...  

Offtopic: they should have named "gog" "god" with the possibility to buy physical packaging ;) 

I have a stupid question...

When you install the game from disc, does it go through either Steam or GoG (like most games you buy from disc nowadays, Wasteland 2 or Skyrim for example)?

Or is it, if you install from disc, you get a standalone install with it's own way of updating and patching?

Because, if I wait for the disc and it still goes to steam, I'd rather play the game earlier (ie option 1). But of you get a standalone version with disc, I'd rather wait a bit and have a clean install without anything third party and avoid having to uninstall from steam and transfer my saves when I receive the disc.

Ok, that question seemed messy but hopefully, someone will understand and provide a clear answer :D

Also Voted #1.  I don't mind having the steam version until the disks arrive, but having all the phyiscal media day of or even before the game is out just makes the game that much more interesting to play.  I grew up playing all the old classics like ultima and zelda, having maps was a must, I still have some of the old media laminated.

Greetings.

Excuse my bad English, I do not speak English, use of dictionary to translate.

Option 1, first game and then will come the game disc. Even if it means playing later. This will solve the problems.

Txibi.

Hi,

I voted #1 and then changed my mind for option #2, i live in France and i'd prefer one single shipping. Either option would have been fine for me since i backed for both physical and digital editions.My concern is about shipping...U.S to France is a gambling situation. I hope for the best.

Godlikespeed.

Edited by Beholder

Question to all EU backers: 

Are you sure you will have to pay customs tax (twice)?

I guess the question is, where will the products be shipped from?

Well, WL2 and D:OS shipped from within the EU, but I didn't have to pay taxes for SR:R, either. Anyway, the disc alone should definitely be within the tax-free range.

Proud Probatanthrope @D:OS

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)

I don't post often on forums but you sirs and madames are just the best, thank you for asking.

P.s don't tell Bethesda but your fallout was much better <3 <3 <3 <3

"He who fights trolls should see to it that he himself brings fire or acid" - Me

Could you not just offer BOTH options? Some people wish to sell the boxed versions at their comic book store or something, I'm sure...it would be worth more with the game inside of it.

Then again, backers obviously wish o play the game before others..

• Like 1

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Personally, I prefer the physical versions. Collects every purchased the game and how much it does not require integration with Steam. And here my question. Is the game will be purchased in physical form that does not require the installation and activation of the service Steamwork ??

Currently you can't buy game in physical form, but if Paradox decides to sell physical copies I would guess that they will be similar to those physical copies that backers get, which are drm free and have installer that is independent of any digital distribution service. But I can't say anything for sure.

In the update, they stated the retail version would be tied to Steam.

Well, shame . Sure the game on GOG heap or pile it all. I have a rule that does not buy games on fixed -dependent activation of digital services ( Steam , Origin ) because these games as you can not even install without connecting to network . Well at least Upaya does such problems. Installing of- line and activate as suits you . I miss the times when the game was not combined with the need to pour all this digital crap .

Question to all EU backers: 

Are you sure you will have to pay customs tax (twice)?

I guess the question is, where will the products be shipped from?

If it's shipped from outside the EU, then it's a real possibility. At least with only one shipment, that lessens the hit. But as you say, it depends where the goods are being shipped from.

I don't think this issue occurred to Obsidian otherwise it would have been addressed in the update. That's fine though, it's more launching the vote at the same time as consultation that is a little more irksome (not to mention the text of the update strongly recommends voting for choice #1).

I'm sure they will give clarification in time.

I collect games so I won't open it either or, it'll stand there in my cabinet in it's plastic untouched. So I'd prefer to get everything at once, but I do not care to much, I'll just get it on steam anyway and put both the disc and the box in the cabinet :)

• Like 1

Excuse me guys but...it's a joke, right?
I mean, are you asking Obsidian to spend twice the shipping costs (with all the ensuing problems) only because you don't want to use the digital version included in the pledge and wait for the rest?
It's a joke, right?
Right?

They offered first. I can wait, but if they're offering to send me my physical goods by release day I'm more than happy to take them up on the offer. They asked our opinions and we're giving them. They don't need to be defended when they were the ones that proposed the idea.

Excuse me guys but...it's a joke, right?
I mean, are you asking Obsidian to spend twice the shipping costs (with all the ensuing problems) only because you don't want to use the digital version included in the pledge and wait for the rest?
It's a joke, right?
Right?

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70459-update-89-backer-rewards/?do=findComment&comment=1568376

While it’s rather unorthodox, we really prefer option #1

As we have expressed in our latest backer update, due to the combination of our game being DRM-free and piracy there is a very real concern that the game may leak early when we send the build for manufacturing. We feel that there are two ways we can handle this problem to make sure that the game doesn't get leaked before the backers get their copies:

1. We ship everything out except the game disc, which we then ship to you after finalizing the 1.0 version. Wait a minute. That sounds crazy. You’re going to ship me a game with NO DISC inside at first?! Here’s why we think that’s good: Anyone who pledged to a physical reward tier will get a digital copy. You’ll be able to get a Steam or GOG.com key on our site and play the game at the same time as everyone else. You’d be able to take out your Collector’s Guidebook, your cloth map, your mousepad and enjoy all of it at the same you’re playing Pillars of Eternity.
  2. Alternatively, we delay shipping everything out to you once we have the final 1.0 version ready. For some parts of the world, this could mean a delay of some real significance. Not just a week or two, but multiple weeks after it’s released.

If you are a backer that is getting physical rewards, please vote in the poll attached to this post. We will update everyone next week with the popular vote in a backer update.

Thanks for your feedback and support.

Personally, I couldn't care less if the game were leaked before my package comes in the mail. If customers get upset about that they have a lot of growing up to do before they understand the world is a big bad place. Couldn't we just pirate it along with the rest anyways? It's not as if we haven't paid for the game so it's not truly piracy anyhow. At any rate piracy is a good thing, it means more people play your game and ultimately more sales.

Why would a game disc that needs an update be a problem? Why would the update have to be forced via DRM? Users can have the choice to play the game buggy or download an update...I don't see an issue.

Personally, I couldn't care less if the game were leaked before my package comes in the mail. If customers get upset about that they have a lot of growing up to do before they understand the world is a big bad place. Couldn't we just pirate it along with the rest anyways? It's not as if we haven't paid for the game so it's not truly piracy anyhow. At any rate piracy is a good thing, it means more people play your game and ultimately more sales.

Well, one person doesn't care if the game gets leaked and suffers horrible sales because people are crappy, so, obviously no one should care whether or not the game suffers that fate. Definitely not Obsidian, u_u...

Glad we cleared that up! I was so confused before, thinking bad things happening would be bad. Phew!

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So does this mean I will get the documentary DVD/Blue-ray with the second shipment? (Provided option 1 wins)

Because you pulled that one, with the excuse of not being ready for the release day shipment.

Now you have a second shipment, ship the documentary DVD/Blue-ray with the second shipment, as you originally promised in the tiers $140 and above.

Thanks!

• Like 1