Backer Reward Shipment Poll

Shipment Poll  

1419 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to receive your physical rewards?

• I would prefer to get my physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date.
    • I would prefer to get my physical rewards and game discs at the same time. I understand this may mean I will get my physical backer rewards a few weeks late.

I want to done the outfit of a PoE players as soon as I play. So, t-shirt and mouse pad are needed :p. My copy'll be signed, so, I doubt I'll even use the physical disc. Option #1 is what I voted for, but I would understand quite well if #2 was picked. Though, it would mean no game for me this close of my bd on March 23rd =[.

« Celui qui est consumé par la flamme de la justice ne craint ni le ciel, ni l’enfer ; il n’est qu’une arme attendant le jour de sa mort ». (Paul Murphy, l'Enclave, 1971)

If I have the choice, I would prefer getting my stuff ASAP and the discs later. BUT... it would be ok for me too if (to save money) I would get all my stuff in one package at a later date. I want you to have minimum work with my physical rewards so that most of your time and money goes into development or the game.

Yeah I got the Wasteland 2 collector's edition also and noticed it was shipped from an EU location. If Obsidian and Paradox can come up with a similar solution, then that would be ideal.

I'm in Scotland so I'm good with option 1; physical stuff is nice bells and whistles, but the game's the thing, and the digital version is more than enough to keep me smiling; makes the end of march a tad more interesting than it normally is.

Me too mate, but if they send it in two packages from outside the EU, your sorting office might withhold both packages until you pay VAT on them AND a holding fee! Multiply that by two potentially.

• Like 2

I voted to wait mainly because Bloodborne. I'm one of those people who like to play those games to death while people are still figuring them out and the coop is abundant. A great single player game can wait. Of course, not everyone wants or cares about the PS4 and/or Bloodborne but for me, I can wait to receive my goodies. Also splitting things up can just lead to problems, the disc can be damaged or lost in the mail, people may forget about receiving the game, or other human elements messing things up.

Receiving it in one big, complete package is the best option, in my opinion.

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Patience is a virtue, seem to recall waiting over a year for X3 to be released DRM free.

My preference is all at once as I see it multiple postings just means more chance for stuff to go missing.

If you have access to cheap/free warehouse space ( Who doesn't want to fill their homes with boxes and live in burrow type spaces ) offering the option to delay might be nice.

I also would like to rebuke the idea that I give a damn about other people playing the game before me or that I would be upset to see exclusive backer only content available to others, not sure if there is any in this sort of thing, and too lazy to check. I do not care for the exclusivity of these things it adds value to physical goods but digitally its meaningless.

• Like 1

If we can already play the game at release, I DEFINITELY want everything in the box as it arrives.

Anything else defeats the purpose of being a collector.

Please give us the option to get our full, complete box when its done and not with everyone that just wants to rip all their presents open Chrismas eve.

• Like 2

As we have expressed in our latest backer update, due to the combination of our game being DRM-free and piracy there is a very real concern that the game may leak early when we send the build for manufacturing. We feel that there are two ways we can handle this problem to make sure that the game doesn't get leaked before the backers get their copies:

1. We ship everything out except the game disc, which we then ship to you after finalizing the 1.0 version. Wait a minute. That sounds crazy. You’re going to ship me a game with NO DISC inside at first?! Here’s why we think that’s good: Anyone who pledged to a physical reward tier will get a digital copy. You’ll be able to get a Steam or GOG.com key on our site and play the game at the same time as everyone else. You’d be able to take out your Collector’s Guidebook, your cloth map, your mousepad and enjoy all of it at the same you’re playing Pillars of Eternity.
  2. Alternatively, we delay shipping everything out to you once we have the final 1.0 version ready. For some parts of the world, this could mean a delay of some real significance. Not just a week or two, but multiple weeks after it’s released.

If you are a backer that is getting physical rewards, please vote in the poll attached to this post. We will update everyone next week with the popular vote in a backer update.

Thanks for your feedback and support.

if you ask me, just as long as I get a digital copy of the game, I have no problems With waiting for the physical stuff. So my advice as a backer would be: save the postage fee, mail everything together when everything is ready to ship.

TL; DR? Option 2!

• Like 1

I have no problem at all getting the game digitally and the disc at a later date especially based on the pros and cons presented in your update.

Nothing too big to stress, though perhaps just give us physical backers the option as digital may not be ideal for everyone like it is for me.

Edited by Vasid

I will go for the first one. I don't even have a disc drive, I just want that fancy box and a drm free copy for archiving. However I would also want the 'complete' experience of playing a potential new classic RPG on it's release day. And being in Europe, well, waiting usually means a month or so for shipping.

Pretty much what I'm thinking as well. I really want the physical goodies at launch, and having to wait another few weeks while the stuff comes to Sweden would be pretty annoying. 

I am an international backer. Please DO NOT send the items in two separate shipments.

Whatever value you declare for the package, I will pay close to 100% taxes upon. If you send it in two parts, I get to pay taxes twice. So please, just don't.

Both items will take at least a month to get here, and then be held in a customs facility, so in my case all these ideas about sending stuff early are irrelevant (I appreciate the thought, and I can see how it can be cool for others - but PLEASE do not send me two packages).

I would also be interested in knowing what value would be declared for the packages. I am hoping it is the actual "product value", not the value spent on Kickstarter. This is very important for me to know, since the difference could be several hundred dollars in taxes.

Thank-you. Since my two posts before were in review for a while before accepted, when they were approved (cheers, by the way!) they were 'posted' in-place at the time they were made. Meaning, a lot of people didn't get to see my point.

PLEASE address this issue, Obsidian. Marking it as a gift doesn't always work and is technically a false declaration. Customs (in the UK at least) can ignore it if they wish,

I would not worry. With Paradox doing the fulfillment, they will likely dispatch from a warehouse inside the EU. Therefore no customs check or duty fees for that matter.

What I'm worried most with option #2, is that pirates get they hands on the game before it's even released. Spreading it all over torrents sites.

It would be a shame if people who just leech from the work of others, would play the game before the backer even do. Even more since it will be a pre 1.0 version, not yet patched to the finale release day version. Which could possibly contain the one or other severe bug. Those pirates then will based on those bugs, which are fixed in the final 1.0 version, spread bad reviews.

From previous reports we already know, a game that gets leaked/pirated before release will suffer from a big drop in sales. This is something a precious old school RPG in the spirit of Baldur's Gate don't deserve. There are not enough made of those these days, to risk it further development by pirates. After all, I want see a POE2 one day.

Edited by Dragoon-

I'd worry less if Obsidian/Paradox confirmed it :)

Duty will be nil regardless as the threshold is too high, but even if VAT is 0.01p (which it wouldn't be), the privatised Royal Mail would charge around £12.00 clearance/holding fee that cannot be appealed. And this would be doubled for two separate shipments.

Trust me, I have (bad) experiences of this kind of thing!

• Like 2

While that book looks REALLY REALLY REALLY nice, I will still go for option 2. I waited so long that some extra weeks will do no harm.

It's more economical, ecological and the digital downloads (map, manual, artbook,...) will still be there for us to download.

I find the whole situation a bit stupid because:

- Why announce the game's release date while not everything is ready? Hold your lips tight and wait till everything is ready

- Gamers (should) have grown accustomed to all those many game delays

- The money they so spare can then be spend on something extra & small like:

- a physical & nice postcard with a hearty thanks of the developers to all the backers or

- a (discount) voucher for a future DLC for the backers . . . 

What I'm worried most with option #2, is that pirates get they hands on the game before it's even released. Spreading it all over torrents sites.

It would be a shame if people who just leech from the work of others, would play the game before the backer even do. Even more since it will be a pre 1.0 version, not yet patched to the finale release day version. Which could possibly contain the one or other severe bug. Those pirates then will based on those bugs, which are fixed in the final 1.0 version, spread bad reviews.

From previous reports we already know, a game that gets leaked/pirated before release will suffer from a big drop in sales. This is something a precious old school RPG in the spirit of Baldur's Gate don't deserve. There are not enough made of those these days, to risk it further development by pirates. After all, I want see a POE2 one day.

How would Option 2 contribute to this issue? There's no pre 1.0 version that's going to be shipped out if you choose Option 2. What Option 2 does is delay you getting the 1.0 version on disc as well as the other physical goodies for a few weeks. You'd still have the choice of grabbing the digital 1.0 version on release day (Assuming you're not in a crappy internet access situation).

Basically, Obs is giving you the choice of when you're going to get your on-disc 1.0 version. You're not going to get a pre-1.0 version with either option.

• Like 3

I'd honestly rather receive the copy later, IF I could get an emailed the steam/gog activation code instead. Plus being outside the USA means it's doubling my risk of being charged Duty of Shipping with two parcels. I'd rather just get the gog version and create a hard copy manually (just in case) instead of a split parcel, but that's just me.

Oh and I'd rather Obsidian save the extra costs and drop that into the neigh inevitable expansion/sequel/other future project. 

I'm only getting the regular box, and honestly I don't care about the disk as I'll be using the digital version (GOG).  I'd be happy if you sent a nice jewel case and printed blank disks for us to burn our own DRM free backup disk.

After the Kickstarter ended, I kicked myself for not going in on the CE.  They said there would be an option to upgrade pledges once the backer site went live, but I never saw the option to do so.  If it ever was added, it's no longer there, so I suppose it's too late now.

Let's not waste money, #2. Is it so important for people to get the CDs early that you want Obsidian to spend somewhere between $5 and $10 per backer? Remember, that's not even "their money" that you're wasting that way, it's your money. I gave them, what, $160, well I don't want $10 of that to be wasted on extra shipping,k I want it to go towards the game and the devs. 

Also, the idea of merging 8000 threads about OMG MY BOX IS MISSING A CD :(

• Like 12

Having a game box without the game is surreal for me. We're talking about THE single most important item of it.

Please do go for option #2, save the extra shipping costs and allow us to have the full package as it should (with the game inside and shrink wrapped).

• Like 3

Let's not waste money, #2. Is it so important for people to get the CDs early that you want Obsidian to spend somewhere between $5 and $10 per backer? Remember, that's not even "their money" that you're wasting that way, it's your money. I gave them, what, $160, well I don't want $10 of that to be wasted on extra shipping,k I want it to go towards the game and the devs. 

Also, the idea of merging 8000 threads about OMG MY BOX IS MISSING A CD :(

Agree with the sentiment but didn't our money run out a while ago? I thought Obsidian was going out of pocket (or Paradox pocket) at this point

Free games updated 3/4/21