Backer Reward Shipment Poll

Shipment Poll  

1419 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to receive your physical rewards?

• I would prefer to get my physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date.
    • I would prefer to get my physical rewards and game discs at the same time. I understand this may mean I will get my physical backer rewards a few weeks late.

If it would be possible in any way, I'd very much prefer an opt-in/opt-out version.

Apart from that, #2. Getting a map early on is all nice and stuff, but additional customs fees for some people are real money.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I live in New Zealand and am well aware I'll be receiving my rewards later than most (and at a greater cost to you, also). That said my preference is easily you just package it all up once the discs are done and send it to me together. Cheaper for you, more efficient in terms of man-hours spent, packing and posting and less chance of backers needing to futz around with changing addresses etc.

If I can play my download of the game at the same time as everyone else then I'm perfectly happy waiting patiently for the physical stuff to arrive in the post. Same story with Wasteland 2 and last I checked my head didn't explode. Besides I'm 35 years old, I just don't need to hold the loot in my hands to be excited by the finished game anynore, much as my hoarder side appreciates the trinkets still ;).

Just pass around download links to the strategy guide and lore stuff and we're all good.

• Like 1

Given the option (which is appreciated actually) I'd be happy with #1 personally, I'd prefer to have everything day one with the digital copy rather than wait for everything to come at once for multiple weeks, but yeah, unfortunate position you guys are in there.

Can't wait for the game.

It really doesn't matter to me one way or another.  Sadly, I'm 40 with two small kids, so it might be a few weeks before I get to do more than oogle the physical stuff and install the game.  That's obviously not the case with most players, so you guys should do what you think will please the most people.

My preference probably would be to get it later with a 1.0 version, but really, within a few weeks, there's probably going to end up being patches anyway, so whether I am patched from some sub 1.0 version on day one or a 1.0 version a few weeks later, its no big deal in the long run.

Whatever works best for the developers is fine with me.  This game is awesome and I'm going to enjoy it for years to come.

Edited by blatantninja

I'm totally cool with the digital version of the game to start, and yes I want my stuff :) sooner than later.

Thank you for the opportunity to have a say in the matter.

I understand and respect people's wishes for DRM free games but people need to realize the industry distribution system is changing and the challenge to create specific DRM free disks is putting them in a very very small segment of the consumer base.  It's taking greater work and effort for developers to meet their needs.  It's the perfect storm of diminishing returns.

I choose option #1, the disk itself can wait since we get to play the game on release by getting the digital version. And since I live in Europe it can sometimes take a long time to get things shipped and I'd love to get all the stuff on release.

Thank you for asking and also for being willing to take the hit of the extra shipping for all the physical backers.

Went with option 1.

Unorthodox but I've got no problem with splitting the physical contents up that way.

And another question if you don't mind:

Are you going to ship out that first big batch with enough time so that it gets to overseas and other ROW territories as close to March, 26th as possible?

Thanks.

As a drooling want to play now person, I voted #1.  Th collector's point in option #2 as a complete unopened investment is a good point, however for the majority of us who will play the game immediately (probably through the digital download) and really want the disc as a back up install and off line option, #1 is perfect.  I'm happy that Obsidian is willing to accept the split shipping cost increase - but how will it impact Obsidian and the game? - from a financial bottom line aspect it doesn't seem to make sense - unless there was budgeted overhead for something like this...?  Didn't think about the customs issue - forgot that certain countries overseas do charge the pants off customers for things that arrive through international mail.  Glad to be living n this side of the pond!  Thanks again to you guys (Obsidian Staff) for what looks like a great product, .... only a month or so out!.... (character build 1 hour play demo coming?.....)Please? :)

here's a better solution. make it a choice in the backer portal. since every CE includes an extra key, there would be no problems about some playing and others not

the options would be

1. send the stuff of the CE now and the disc later

2. send it all in one pack when it's ready

3. send the stuff now, dont send the disc but let me download an iso of the disc to burn my own copy

this way you will save some of the extra cost of shiping in 2 parts and you will not have to make those in a rush wait or those who want the full box get it in 2 parts. it will be of course harder from a logistics point of view

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Of the two options, I'm perfectly fine with #2, and think it's perfectly OK. However, there are two other options available:

#3: Provide all physical backers with a digital download. (Even if they originally didn't have one).

#4: Delay the digital release until all (or most) physical product has been delivered.

Had these been options, I'm sure most would select #3.

But that's just my 2 cents. Thanks for asking. :)

• Like 1

I voted for #2, but am fine with #1. I appreciate being given the choice, Obsidian! :) I have waited this long, can wait a bit longer.

As for those who condescendingly are suggesting that DRM free is an anachronism and that backers who support it, or require it, 'need to understand that distribution models are changing', need to understand that not everyone has the ability to make use of those 'new' distribution models even if you do. ;)

Distribution models may indeed be changing but rural broadband infrastructure in the USA is not changing at all. I have been waiting (fruitlessly) for 14 years for ANY type of wireline internet access to become available in my area. My only non-dialup internet option is satellite. I would kill for DSL. Digital downloads of this game will likely exceed my monthly bandwidth allotment on satellite. I will not be able to play POE until the physical disk arrives no matter how many keys I am given for Steam or GOG. Required auto-patcher's run into the samer bandwidth-prohibitive situation. When you have to fit all of your internet usage into 12 GB (combined up/down) per month, you become highly sceptical of all bandwidth sucking abominations like online checks, mandatory patches, etc. I can no longer play starcraft because they require mandatory patches, and I ran into a 1GB patch requirement that I simply could not afford to download without risking exceeding my bandwidth cap and losing my intenret access. I will likely never buy another Blizzard game ever again because of that.

I would not have backed POE if it had DRM. I would not have backed it if it had a mandatory autopather. Not because I disliked the game, but because I would never have been able to play it. I can wait to play the game after launch. You have to learn to be patient as a gamer living in the rural USA. There's really no other option.

• Like 2

I moved a few months ago, so have had no time to follow anything, but assuming I had the time (with the exception of a life threatening problem) and being 100% behind Obsidian (fanboy ;( ) I'd still choose the solution that left them with funds in the company bank account.  That's the point in being a backer and following developers you trust through Kickstarter isn't it?.

It is for me anyway.

I don't want Obs to shell out more money for shipping. While I'd like to have my goodies at launch, I'd rather wait and get it all in one package if it means saving Obs some money. I can still play the game at launch anyway. So, yeah, option 2 for me I guess.

I really cannot express how upset I'm going to be if I end up getting hit with customs fees twice, or higher import duties as a result of a split shipment.  But if Paradox can handle this in such a way that UK shipments don't end up with higher charges as a result, then go ahead and split it up, sure.

However, it occurs to me that it's possible a split shipment would also split up the value of what's being shipped and put me under some threshold for taxes as well, which I'd be all for.  Overall, I don't think I have enough information here to make an informed choice on what's best, which is why I'd like you lot to consider these questions and provide us with some answers before making your decision.

Edited by sparklecat
  • Like 5