Backer Reward Shipment Poll

Shipment Poll  

1419 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to receive your physical rewards?

• I would prefer to get my physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date.
    • I would prefer to get my physical rewards and game discs at the same time. I understand this may mean I will get my physical backer rewards a few weeks late.

I'm going with option #1. I know that this will mean more shipping costs, and I'm sorry, but as a European backer, the waiting time could be several weeks. That's a lot of time waiting for something others would already be able to experience. Getting the CE right on time, even without the disc, seems like the better deal to me.

Thank you, Obsidian, for doing this! :-)

I don't really understand the people saying that if the collector's box doesn't contain a game disk then it somehow has less/no value to you or others as a collectible.

Do you really think that a DVD is what will determine the value or collectability of the thing? That seems like a pretty crazy idea to me, it's all the "collectible" goodies in the box (which I assume will be sealed/shrink wrapped, just with no disk inside) that are collectible, a flimsy DVD that probably won't even be readable in a couple decades is not.

Consider that anyone willing to buy your backer box 20+ years from now can probably get the game for $0.50 or free on "Steam 2035" or whatever, they will have zero interest in a playable disk. All those backer goodies that were made for a handful of people in 2015, put in a nice box and never manufactured again though? That might have some value, both collectible and monetary.

My plan was to actually gift the digital key to a friend, so both options kinda nix that if we both want to run through the content simultaneously.

Also feel like I need to add to my pledge if I'm going to vote number 1. The nature of a kickstarter means that it's not quite paying for a good game. It's a show of faith in Obsidian's ability to make a good game. It's the kind of gamble you wouldn't take if you didn't want to see Obsidian's creative voice continue, and I'm antsy about the idea of Obsidian losing money on their kickstarter venture.

I'm not stupid enough to think that my opinion means anything in and of itself, but I will add my voice to those to realize that waiting a short time for the disks so that I can

a. get everything at one time

and

b. not impose an extra expense on Obsidian

is the best way to go.  It's not like I'll be short changed in any significant way.  Whatever, I'll be happy to get a good game.  The important thing is, to address the elephant in the room, that I think the investment is worth it so that I can shell out more money for the next kickstarter if you guys decide to do one.

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Not sure if I was clear enough in my earlier post but now that I'm sobering up I just wanted to clarify.

Since option 1 is winning by a fair margin would it be possible to default to that with the ability to opt for option 2? I don't know if the money saved by not having to ship the box and disc separately is worth the effort of having to manage two separate processes but I know I would prefer one box with everything in it.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I am an international backer. Please DO NOT send the items in two separate shipments.

Whatever value you declare for the package, I will pay close to 100% taxes upon. If you send it in two parts, I get to pay taxes twice. So please, just don't.

Both items will take at least a month to get here, and then be held in a customs facility, so in my case all these ideas about sending stuff early are irrelevant (I appreciate the thought, and I can see how it can be cool for others - but PLEASE do not send me two packages).

I would also be interested in knowing what value would be declared for the packages. I am hoping it is the actual "product value", not the value spent on Kickstarter. This is very important for me to know, since the difference could be several hundred dollars in taxes.

• Like 6

I voted for option 2 because I don't really mind waiting a couple extra weeks and also because I don't want to get hit with import charges twice.

Like others have mentioned, perhaps making it an opt in choice? Though I could see that adding undue confusion and I'm sure you're busy enough as it is.

• Like 2

Option 1.  I was likely going to install the digital version anyway.

I can't even remember the last time I used a disc to install a PC game.

My thoughts exactly.  I don't even want the disc to be shipped to me later, who uses discs anyway?

Go with #1, add an option to the backer portal for additional disc shipping (make it disabled by default) and whoever wishes to get a physical disc for whatever reason, send it to them without additional cost. 

I wish I could vote for #3: Just put a game disc with a download link on it in the box. That way backers have the disc they want, at the time the creators wanted them to get it.

LOL

This is why: I don't even have a cd/dvd/blu-ray drive in my computer, so I'd have to download the thing throught (in my case) Steam anyway, haha.

I voted for the physical rewards sooner and the disks later...so glad it's looking like that is the preference but everyone who agrees should still be voting!!!

Even here in Australia with out terrible download speed I'll be happy with the digital game on day one.

I would like to say that being give the chance to provide feedback on this is awesome, you guys are fantastic!

Option 1.  I was likely going to install the digital version anyway.

I can't even remember the last time I used a disc to install a PC game.

My thoughts exactly.  I don't even want the disc to be shipped to me later, who uses discs anyway?

Go with #1, add an option to the backer portal for additional disc shipping (make it disabled by default) and whoever wishes to get a physical disc for whatever reason, send it to them without additional cost. 

So people would need to "opt in" to receive items they backed? Nah. Bad idea.

I agree with many that's fine to get the physical goods before the physical game, as I'll likely be playing a digital copy anyway.  I just like the idea of owning a physical copy.

I do feel a little bad for the people who are waiting on the physical copy of the game to play, however wouldn't they wait a similar time in either scenario?

First of all, thank you for asking us, the backers regarding this issue.

Option #1 should clearly be the preferred option for the non-US citizens, since it will take additional time for us to receive the package.

A question to Obsidian: Will the package be sent as a gift or will it be sent as a normal parcel?

The reason for asking this; if the value exceeds a certain amount (app. $45), my wonderful country will add 25% sales taxes. And of course a handling charge (app. $15). And of course, it would be delayed further....

BUT, if you send it as a gift, or the value stated on the parcel is below $45, everything would go much smoother.

After all, it is a gift, isn't it?

• Like 2

It's not even a close call for me - Wait to ship the physical game until it has reached 1.0. This is a choice between a fleeting moment of satisfaction (being able to play the game with the physical assets on launch day) versus something that is much longer-lasting (having a complete, finished game box in my possesion). I don't plan on opening the box - It will remain on my shelf as a collector's item. So to have it be incomplete, without the actual game inside, would be really disheartening.

Honestly, I voted for option one because it personally doesn't bother me. However, I completely see your point of view and hope Obsidian can come up with accomidations. I understand the desire to keep things NBO as a collector. As a business, Obsidian has to consider what is best for the customer. While I understand the potential for leaks is disheartening, I also understand that a consumer base can easily have different points of view.

I have a question for members of the dev team involved in logistics. Would the cost impact to "split" shipments between the two options be unfeasible? I'm seriously curious at this point, especially after reading some posts concerning collector value and import tariffs.

Because I live in Europe getting physical rewards from backed Kickstarter projects have been the worst part of the whole experience. So I would prefer to get everything at once. 

Given Paradox's involvement, I suspect European shipping will go more smoothly than normal.