Backer Reward Shipment Poll

Shipment Poll  

1419 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to receive your physical rewards?

• I would prefer to get my physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date.
    • I would prefer to get my physical rewards and game discs at the same time. I understand this may mean I will get my physical backer rewards a few weeks late.

It's not even a close call for me - Wait to ship the physical game until it has reached 1.0. This is a choice between a fleeting moment of satisfaction (being able to play the game with the physical assets on launch day) versus something that is much longer-lasting (having a complete, finished game box in my possesion). I don't plan on opening the box - It will remain on my shelf as a collector's item. So to have it be incomplete, without the actual game inside, would be really disheartening.

I also never planned to open my collectors box. I don't need the physical stuff to be there. I have the digital copy of the game.... Seeing how the poll is going (people want the incomplete box).. this is a very sad day :(

I can imagine many people who were thinking like us bought collectors edition boxes and even the very expensive boxes with autographs now suddenly it feels worthless. I don't want to research how to wrap the box in plastic by myself...

Please... rather give digital versions of lore books, manual, map etc to people and ship a complete, polished game box with the game inside.

• Like 1

I don't think they consider an autopatcher to be DRM per se, if I read their update correctly.  It works out to be DRM because the game disc by itself doesn't contain a playable copy of the game.  It just contains a bunch of data files (so you won't have to download them), and no executable save the patcher itself. 

So it's less an autopatcher and more of a Steam-style distribution system that saves a bit on bandwidth.

As I said, I don't consider it DRM, but yes, the idea was that it wouldn't have the full copy and required the internet so yes some consider that DRM.  I still think that the non-disk DRM-free download option would be just as good.  People could burn their own disk.  In fact that could be another option.

4: Include a DVD-R with printed or sticker of the POE disk so people could burn the final .iso and have a final disk themselves.

I'll take door number one Mr. Badler. I wasn't going to use the game disc either way. I got a signed collectors edition and there's a look but don't touch policy on it, so the digital version will be ideal in my case. Hell , I'd take a no disc approach with only a wooden carving of the games gog key.

Edited by Gyges

I picked option #1, but if you guys need to save the money to awesome-up Pillars 2, then option #2 is fine with me. It means I won't be able to play it on Day 1 - my Internet connection can't download more than one to two Gb per day - so it'd be good to rifle through the physical stuff while I'm waiting.

Signed in for the first time in months just to voice my strongest wish on this. PLEASE LET ME GET EVERYTHING AT THE SAME TIME, despite the delay. I don't care if it's delayed by months, just as long as it gets there, but please let me get an actual disc inside the box. For me the game disc isn't the icing on the cake, it's the actual foundation that makes the "collectors copy". Without it, it's just a pile of game-related cardboard and paper. 

Now I don't know how you guys are going to go about this, but I sincerely hope the poll is not the factor by which you'll decide how ALL the copies are to be shipped. I want to get everything at the same time, I don't care if some others play the game before I do, I might even buy a digital copy from gog or steam if I get really impatient, but please PLEASE make the option to choose how my collectors edition is to be shipped. I was and am really looking forward to get my beautiful collectors edition, but if I get it in pieces I will be extremely disappointed. I hope you guys understand my (maybe somewhat irrational, but very sincere) concern. And of course, thank you for your work over these couple of years.

P.S. by the way, I also really hope it will be shrink-wrapped, like all good collectors' edition are. Like New Vegas CE, etc.

P.P.S. I realize I'm going a bit aspie about this, but I don't care, it's a huge issue for me.

• Like 2

I will be very upset if I get my discs later than the rest of the package, especially since this is an issue brought up so late in the process.  If because of this poll I do not get all of what I paid for together, then I shall not bother to provide backing support for any future projects.  It's been more than two years, a couple of weeks is not going ruin my enjoyment, nor should it anyone else's.  I could care less about being the first to play, or showing off my trinkets because none of that matters.  I paid for a signed collector's boxed version of the game, and that is what I expect to get in one package, not two with a long delay in between.

Rather than being either/or, why can't we choose which one we want? For example, I'd rather wait until the disc is ready and ask to have the shipping delayed, and those who want #1 can get what they want straight away.

I want the full nostalgic old school experience all at once: Physical box, read a physical manual, install from a physical CD.

• Like 1

Don't care and it's unlikely I'll ever install from my disc anyway. Since Obsidian prefers option 1, I'll go with that.

I totally understand the "pristine sealed collector's copy" idea, but what sort of seal are people expecting? No one shrink wraps PC game boxes anymore, and given that these aren't meant for retail there's no need for security tape.

It's not even a close call for me - Wait to ship the physical game until it has reached 1.0. This is a choice between a fleeting moment of satisfaction (being able to play the game with the physical assets on launch day) versus something that is much longer-lasting (having a complete, finished game box in my possesion). I don't plan on opening the box - It will remain on my shelf as a collector's item. So to have it be incomplete, without the actual game inside, would be really disheartening.

Same here. One of the reason's why I didn't want to have it signed, because that'd require it to be unwrapped. Shame, imho the collector's edition is no longer worth being called that once they separate the contents :(

bloodmagus2.jpg

Seems a lot of people used backing to get the game at both half price *and* for two people. Cheapskates.

Anyways, no reason not to ship two times. Collector editions isn't wrapped anymore anyway so people complaining about that can just get a friend to put the disk in the box for them if they don't want to see the inside themselves...

Pillars 2 should be digital only. Who even use disks these days? That's like walking around with a diskman instead of a smartphone.

Gonna guess that since the option to have the disc and the physical rewards not ship at the same time, that would probably mean that regardless of what tier you backed, the game disc just comes in a regular dvd case or something?

but muh special disc packaging y0  :(

Seems a lot of people used backing to get the game at both half price *and* for two people. Cheapskates.

Eh?

My backing came in at over $100, and my tier very clearly says "2 copies Total"

What exactly would I even want or do with a second copy?

Ofcourse I'm going to give it to a friend/relative/and go halves or whatever. Seems pretty clear cut to me what the intent was. Nothing 'Cheapskate' about it considering what they are offering and the very price I paid.

Not everyone earns a lot of money. Plus, if cheaper prices end up with more backers - that equals more word of mouth. The $20 tier was definitely a good thing.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

I would be ok with either one but I vote for #1. I could see how some people want to keep it sealed especially if it's a signed copy but I like to open my collector's editions so I'm ok with the disc being later. I'm the type of collector that likes all the shiny things handled lol and then sealed away for later. I don't plan on selling it but I suppose if that's your thing #2 doesn't seem likely to happen based on voting so far. 

I feel you should get to chose your own option, but I could see how that would be a logistical nightmare possibly.

Edited by Roflmaou

Why is this an either/or option? This is a "dilemma" that existed back before Steam, so while I understand that it's been long enough without it coming up that many people don't remember, it also doesn't mean that the problem is unsolved.

Why not go back to the same solution that developers used to use back then? You can pre-determine a URL for the 1.0 patch, and then put it in the game installer to be downloaded and applied automatically, or put it in the manual and tell people to go there to download it. There's no need to delay shipping the physical goodies or game disk while retaining the DRM-free promise.

• Like 2

I'm fine with both options but I have to say that I'm surprised/impressed/awed/thankfull that you even offer option 1 which will cost you extra money. That beeing said I've chosen option 1 and I'll be happy to get my physical goods sooner then later but I still wouldn't mind getting them later.

• Like 1

Option #1.

I am sorry it will cost more money to Obsidian, but I am glad I don't have to fork out extra cash myself (and that's a Paradox, isn't it?) :p

Also, thanks for asking.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus