Backer Reward Shipment Poll

Shipment Poll  

1419 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to receive your physical rewards?

• I would prefer to get my physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date.
    • I would prefer to get my physical rewards and game discs at the same time. I understand this may mean I will get my physical backer rewards a few weeks late.

I am totally OK with getting a game disc later, since the digital download means I get to play it anyway.  I really see no reason to hold on to everything, except for saving money on shipping.  But you've already said that you'll eat that extra cost, so I say ship the stuff now!

I voted for #2 since I don't expect I'll mind the wait and I'd rather you guys keep the extra money you'd have to spend on shipping to put towards the release party/making the expansion/sequel/whatever. I'll have the digital copy of the game to play, and I don't intend to/won't use the strategy guide to during my first run through anyway.

That being said, I can already feel a nagging sense of doubt in my head that really makes me want to say #1 because I want that super sweet t-shirt... but regardless - I can deal with waiting a bit longer.

On a completely different note: Are there any plans to do some sort of a launch day stream event, similar to what happened at the end of the kickstarter?

Edited by Odarbi

Shipping a disc will be much cheaper than the box, since it can fit into a sleeve that is shipped at envelope costs.

God forbid! (that is, if I understood you correctly)

Last thing I want is disc, that got scratched or was broken by indifferent courier / parcel sorting facility worker.

I have just as much faith in UK postal services as I had in Polish ones :p

I'd rather wait longer for all the goodies, sent to me in a strong, reliable cardboard, than <shivers> a sleeve/an envelope (yup even those cardboard ones).

Unless I'd get it in yet another jewel case box (like what Larian did with D:OS drm-free copies), but that would blow shipping costs exponentially, so I bet it's not what DeeK had in mind.

Thus voting for #2

• Like 1

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

I am pleased that the game is being released on my birthday. I have also been trying to save for a new comp to actually play the game, but life happens, so I can't even play the game yet. I'd be happier getting the rewards and discs together, even if it takes longer to ship, but the votes are currently heavily in favor of the opposite. I'll be fine if you decide to do one method for the majority voters.

Won"t be angry one way or the other; i went for option 1 since it's what you guys said would be  better so I guess it means that it's not too inconvenient for you :). wouldn't want it.

I'll be loving on my collector box anyway <3 

I think there are more options that should be available.

1:  Honestly, I don't see "autopatcher" as DRM, especially if we can still download the full version without DRM.  So just offer a DRM free download to those with the physical disk, and you have the whole thing.

2: I think a "standard" copy that syncs to steam could be an option for those who don't care too much about the DRM free.

3: I know it's an unplanned expense but I'd really rather have the game on an updatable USB key.  They're really not too expensive in bulk, but I understand it's an unplanned expense, though probably cheaper than shipping a disk separately (especially internationally).  This lets users update the copy on the key while keeping the DRM promise.

In general, I voted for the "ship the disk later" since we'll still have game access.

• Like 1

Voted for option #1. Like others said I was going to use the steam version anyways, the disk was just an extra collectible with all the other stuff which I would want day one when I start playing. Thanks for all the hard work and I am looking forward to release day!

I'm not sure what to vote for as I'll be installing from the disk. (I only have a small download limit each month) That means I'll be waiting for the disks to arrive before I can install the game, so either way I won't be able to install and play the game until a later date anyway.

• Like 2

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

I'm fine with #1. Though, I wonder if the physical disc copy can be linked, optionally, to steam(so maybe we can use one copy for us and another to send as a gift)?

I should hope so, being as that's exactly what they have told me we could do when I PM'd them asking about this about a year or two ago.

Me and a friend already went halves in this tier I backed with this very idea in mind for 2 copies, so it would be a shame if one of us would miss out on the (much preferred) Steam version.

Actually it would be more than a shame, I'd be writing some very angry emails..

It seems silly for people to hold a pre-release copy of the game against the final product, but it wouldn't be the first time people fail to match my platonic ideal.  If you think it's a problem, I'll take your word for it.

So long as I can get a copy without using Steam or other DRM-based system, I'm happy to wait for a finalized game disc to arrive.  GOG would do for me, so option 1 serves my needs.

That said, it would be nice if people who really want a completed box could opt out of the digital stopgap and wait.  If it's feasible, I'd vote for that.  Otherwise, I'll go with option #1.

I think there are more options that should be available.

1:  Honestly, I don't see "autopatcher" as DRM, especially if we can still download the full version without DRM.  So just offer a DRM free download to those with the physical disk, and you have the whole thing.

2: I think a "standard" copy that syncs to steam could be an option for those who don't care too much about the DRM free.

3: I know it's an unplanned expense but I'd really rather have the game on an updatable USB key.  They're really not too expensive in bulk, but I understand it's an unplanned expense, though probably cheaper than shipping a disk separately (especially internationally).  This lets users update the copy on the key while keeping the DRM promise.

In general, I voted for the "ship the disk later" since we'll still have game access.

I don't think they consider an autopatcher to be DRM per se, if I read their update correctly.  It works out to be DRM because the game disc by itself doesn't contain a playable copy of the game.  It just contains a bunch of data files (so you won't have to download them), and no executable save the patcher itself. 

So it's less an autopatcher and more of a Steam-style distribution system that saves a bit on bandwidth.

I'd like them sent together even if that delays it. The country I live in charges large punitive import fees to the receivers of international packages and it would be a fair amount cheaper to me to receive one package instead of two.

Edited by Amidorin
  • Like 3

I would prefer to get everything at the same time, because I strongly prefer to install games from disc instead of downloading them, and I don't mind waiting a few days. My internet connection is faster than it used to be, but it still takes much longer to install from the internet than it does to install from a disc.

That said, the GOG download wouldn't be too bad since it doesn't have the problem of having to open up some distribution service every time you want to play the game, and I certainly understand why people who live farther away wouldn't want to wait weeks to get all of their stuff. So, while I would personally rather have it all in one shipment, I won't be at all upset if option #1 ends up winning.

• Like 1

knightofchaoss.jpg

Obsidian and Paradox are willing to eat the shipping costs so that the backers are able to get their rewards as soon as possible. We know that we would be bummed out if we had to wait on getting our physical rewards a few extra weeks. We want to give you guys the best experience that we possibly can.

Sounds good and bad at the same time. Satisfaction comes at a cost of others. 

This is a bit irksome to me. I was planning to give away my extra digital copy to a friend, so unlike some people, I don't have the option to "just use that instead" on release day. This person also lives some distance from me, so using my digital version and sending them the final disk version is not feasible. I would much prefer some kind of day 1 patch for the physical copies than have to wait to get the full version (regardless of whether it comes with the extras or not). Assuming one is passing along the digital copy and won't have access to it, it seems kind of silly that digital backers are getting a "better" launch experience than physical backers.

What about [and it's been suggested in one way or another], but what about defaulting to option #1 (after a public announcement), and adding an opt-out (of option #1) on the backer pages; such that any backer who requests their kit sent as-is gets it as-is ~sans updates.  For those that will never open the box... does it really matter if it's the then-current patch version?

With a cuttoff date set by Obsidian, if 500 opt-out, then they could get 550 discs [now] for those that requested them, and order the rest of the discs for the rest of the backers when their updates are completed.  Now... if 30,000 people opt-out... that would be very telling.

*BTW I'm fine with Option #2.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 3