Backer Reward Shipment Poll

Shipment Poll  

1419 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to receive your physical rewards?

• I would prefer to get my physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date.
    • I would prefer to get my physical rewards and game discs at the same time. I understand this may mean I will get my physical backer rewards a few weeks late.

Option 1 is perfectly fine with me.  Though I understand where ThreeSon is coming from as I have a collection of boxed games,  is it possible to allow people to "Opt-in" to waiting so that people like Threeson interested in collecting are able to do so?

I would obviously be very grateful for this option, especially since the early voting shows my preference is part of the minority.

Windows 7 64-bit SP1

Core i7 3770 @3.5 GHz

nVidia GTX 680

16 GB RAM

Personally, I'm good with either option, but I voted for #1.

However, one thing to keep in mind:

It's conceivable that since physical tiers come with digital copies, there could be people out there who backed at the physical tier level, but plan on only playing the digital copy of the game.  They just want to keep a pristine sealed copy of the collector's edition on their shelf for collectability purposes.  These people get screwed with option #1 because they won't have a pristine, complete, sealed copy to set on their shelves because the actual game will not be inside the box.

• Like 1

#2.

I'm not getting a physical, but it seems aesthetically lame to get everything but not the disc.

This is one hell of a pickle you guys are in, though.

Why vote when you don't have a dog in the race?

You make an excellent point, noname. I'll just go with ignorant as the reason why and leave it at that. That's me being nice.

I voted 1. Gimme my stuff. For those who vote 2 because they want it complete and sealed on a shelf as a collectors edition, it makes MORE of a collectors edition with no disc inside. Think about it

Hmmm, you've worded the poll so that option #1 seems the obvious choice.

Basically, you haven't mentioned the advantages of option #2.  And, to be honest, I'm not sure what the advantages are.  Less cost to Obsidian in shipping.  Sure, but _how_ much is saved?  And, if it is saved, where will that money go, and will it end up being a net advantage to the end user?

Let's try to work this out.  I estimate around 10k backers with physical goods, from the numbers on the kickstarter page.  Let's say that it costs Obsidian around $5 average to ship the disc alone.  Shipping a disc will be much cheaper than the box, since it can fit into a sleeve that is shipped at envelope costs. That means option #1 will cost Obsidian an estimated $5k.

I assume that $5k will not result in any great advantage to the end user.  Hence, seems like option #1 certainly appears to be the obvious choice.  OK, that's what I'm going for.

Interesting dilemma.

I've voted option 2, and here's why :

When I chose to buy this, I expected that I would put my sealed box on my shelf as a reminder to me that I backed the project.

Obviously this wouldn't have been possible in option 1 (plus it saves you guys some dollars too)

Can I encourage others to choose option 2 as well? I don't feel it's right we impose an extra fee on you guys, regardless of who is at fault.

Plus I'm sure many of you would like to keep that box sealed up for whatever the reason. :)

As an actual Physical Backer.... seriously #1 Mr. Adler.  You guys know it is the right choice.  Like the update says, we all get digital keys too.  There is no reason to delay all the other physical goods for a disc we don't even necessarily need.

Edited by Karkarov

Personally, i don't mind waiting, since i have a lot of games i'm currently playing and i wouldn't probably play the game on launch anyway.

Also, i'm a little bit worried about the multiple shipping because lately i've had a couple objects that got damaged during the shipment, and double shipment means double risk of damage (or lost packages, which Italy is sadly infamous for).

Definetely option 2.

Noticing more and more other people also stating that they don't even have a disc drive or use it, which re-enforces my previous "option 3" opt-in idea that would benfit a bunch of us while at the same time saving Obsidian a whole bunch of money on disc printing/shipping.

Edited by Stoibs

Obsidian and Paradox are willing to eat the shipping costs so that the backers are able to get their rewards as soon as possible. We know that we would be bummed out if we had to wait on getting our physical rewards a few extra weeks. We want to give you guys the best experience that we possibly can.

My first post is still in review as I type this and the #1 votes are racking up before I can express my concerns.

There is a higher chance that certain international backers will have to pay two lump sums of import tax because of this. Not the best experience, you'll agree?

• Like 2

Or, you could do what inXile has done with W2: ship the current unpatched disc (I think it was steam activated) out with everything else, and then ship out a final patched DRM-free disc at a much later date. As an amazing coincidence I received a message today from inXile finalizing those very details for my physical copy of W2. As a physical tier backer I really like having that option with W2, and would prefer it with Pillars.

I lean ever so slightly to option 2 as I am a collector like Threeson and gatt9 with games since the late 90's and onward.....back when Electronics Boutique use to rock with multitudes of glorious pc games spread from wall to wall.......ah the memories!  The opt in approach suggested by gatt9 seems like a prudent idea if it is able to be effected.  The folks that do not opt  a choice receive an option at Obsidians discretion.

• Like 2

I backed a physical tier for the physical rewards, not the software media. So, I voted option #1.

Computer Software is no longer developed for a static target. By nature of constant updates to the operating system, runtime libraries and even video drivers; you simply can't expect any disk that you own to run in even the next Service Pack on Windows or Glibc + Kernel update on Linux without patches anyway. I'll happily use Steam, and put the disk in the box when it comes later.

BTW: Just to put that in context... I've downloaded something like 1.8GB of patches to Windows 7 & Office 2013 this month. What do you want to bet that those updates broke something, somewhere? Odds are good it affected someone.

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I prefer option #1, as I'm planing to install via Steam anyway. Kudos for going the extra mile with the shipping costs.

I would actually not mind to get my disc at a much later date, after we had a couple of updates runs behind us. Of course at home I have 24/7 internet, but when I'm deployed oversea, Internet is often not reliable, fast or even available at all. This are the times when a CD-Rom drive and BG2 Complete on disk are worth a box of booze, and a USB-Key full of nudity. Though thanks to the folks at GOG.com, playing got much easier when forced offline.

Then to have a disk of POE with a stable and bugfree version would be great.

Edited by Dragoon-
  • Like 1

I don't know that I fully understand.  Is the boxed copy coming sans disk?  Or are we talking about the boxed copy not shipping while other physical rewards do ship?

I don't want a physical boxed copy without the disc in it.  I have no intention of opening the boxed copy.  I'm going to put it on my shelf still shrink wrapped and just play the digital version.  If it doesn't have a disc inside, that would completely suck and ruin any potential futuer collector's value.  I don't know if you've noticed, but some of those old 8bit games from my youth go for significant money these days, especially if they're unopened.  I'd like to hold on to the unopened boxed copy of this game and see what happens.

And, I don't like the idea of you guys having to spend more money on shipping than you have to.  All that does is cut into your profits.  I didn't back this project to get the physical goods as much as I backed it to support the project and the developers behind it.  I'd rather you save the shipping costs for use in another budget.

Truth be told, I went physical for all the goodies.  The game disc will be something I pull out in 20 years and build an old Windows 7 or 8 machine to play.  Definitely can wait on the disc.  But having the map and the manual on launch for a Kickstarter game would be freaking awesome because it sure hasn't happened to me yet.