sending out props for the beta testers!

I was taking a look at the bug report thread, and I'm glad to see the types of thing's being reported to make this a great release! I tip my hat to everyone working so hard to assist the dev's and make issues known that will ensure we get the best game in the time they have to release it in. I'd like to see how it all comes together :)

• Like 8

Any spare time I have at home from now until release will be committed to bug reporting / feedback  :sorcerer:

MAD props to you for the dedication you've shown in making this game the best it can be  :biggrin:

Thanks to all the other beta testers, too!

• Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Sensuki seem to be in love with this game, and cares about it a great deal.

The game itself has a fair few problems, and there's a number of things I don't like about it. However, the Infinity Engine games (moreso the BGs and IWDs than PS:T) were my favourite games as a teenager, I have spent thousands of hours playing them and the chance of having one or more series of games like that again is too great for me to pass up. Anything we contribute could indirectly increase sales / enjoyment for other people. A better general experience of the game may lead to more interest in a sequel or shoot-offs.

Kevin Saunders (an ex-Obsidian employee) said the other day on the RPGCodex that sequels traditionally do not sell as many units as the first title of a game, and thus publishers/companies tend to invest less in their development. There are a several cases where the opposite has occured, and I'd like that to be the case here too. We can help achieve that by helping to improve the base game so that it's just more playable.

I think several of the gameplay related bugs that I and others have caught over time (Engagement, Pathfinding, AI, damage calculation, attribute bugs, ability bugs ... etc) are a step in that direction, hopefully original.gif

Some of those have yet to be remedied, but fingers crossed.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 6

It's been said before, but I definitely believe that Sensuki deserves not only his own "Thanks!" thread, but some form of in-game tribute as well.

Although I have disagreed with quite a few of his mechanics suggestions and rationale for those, there is little question that no-one here has contributed more in terms of not only finding bugs but clearly identifying them so that they may be addressed.

Props to him.

• Like 4

Cheers. It's also good to have some more regulars to the bug forums this patch, as we've lost a lot of the people who put in the hours during the early patches (Headbomb, Ink Blot, mutonizer etc)

Nice to see people like ushas, Bazy and Sock (and their like) taking up the call.

Unfortunately I struggle to run the game in the Temple of Skaen / Lle A Rhemen and have not actually completed the content in those areas yet due to performance issues (just cbf with the frame rate). Gonna give Lle A Rhemen another go this patch, and maybe try the Temple of Skaen after the next one, when they do the performance optimzations.

Edited by Sensuki

About the only issue I've encountered Lle A Rhemen has been the tipped over brazier on the otherside of the hole. It has a missing string.

As far as the Skaen temple goes... only issue I have is that it's less beneficial to get the keys, because you don't get experience for unlocking the doors with keys. If you have the mechanics, it's more power-gamey to just ignore keys throughout. Other than that, it's been a very smooth experience for me.

Yes big thanks to all the bug hunters.  

Especially Sensuki, I don't know how you had the patience to do that man. Hopefully you'll still have some energy left to play the full game on release :)

I was hoping to participate much more in the beta, but it turns out my laptop is not fast enough to give me an decent gaming experience. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new one soon after release !

Sensuki seem to be in love with this game, and cares about it a great deal.

The game itself has a fair few problems, and there's a number of things I don't like about it. However, the Infinity Engine games were my favourite games as a teenager, I have spent thousands of hours playing them and the chance of having one or more series of games like that again is too great for me to pass up.

If you change "game" to "blonde", it sounds like the lovestory of my life. ;-)

• Like 1

Yes big thanks to all the bug hunters.  

I was hoping to participate much more in the beta, but it turns out my laptop is not fast enough to give me an decent gaming experience. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new one soon after release !

The next (and final) patch should have some CPU Optimizations.

As far as the Skaen temple goes... only issue I have is that it's less beneficial to get the keys, because you don't get experience for unlocking the doors with keys. If you have the mechanics, it's more power-gamey to just ignore keys throughout. Other than that, it's been a very smooth experience for me.

Unfortunately, game forces you to use the found key.

Yeah slightly unbalanced options;). But I guess you can power-game quests too...

What I like about this doors you are talking about:

If you enter from Dyrford Crossing and open the door with a high enough Mechanics skill, you can practically skip whole unimportant dungeon to the end and resolve the story without too much (or maybe even at all) bloodshed.

Also I think, they lowered the skill check from the last beta from 12 Mech (or 11 Mech + 12 lock.) -> to 9 Mech (8 Mech + 9 Lock.).

• 2 weeks later...

the bug support forum is on fire with the bugs found, hi5 sensuki, all that character and item art bugs will really help this way more polished if they can fix that stuff. Hopefully it's all lil tweaks they can fix that will make this shine! I think there's one more patch next week right? I'd love to know how many bugs they've fixed so far.

Yeah I figured that they may not have time to even look at item bugs, so I just decided to do a pass myself. Put in about 16 hours or so so far, I'm up to "T" and I've skipped a lot of basic item types like scrolls, food, potions etc

Gonna do a seperate potion test some other time.

• Like 3

I'm extremely grateful to Sensuki for taking such a huge amount of time to go through the game with a fine comb and hunt for bugs.

The game will end up all the better thanks to your efforts. Kudos to you big time!

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus