Is it me or Baldur's Gate look better than POE?

our criticism o' big heads is sawyer-specific. guy mentioned, more than once, that he didn't like joke stuff or pop culture references in serious crpgs.  then he changed slight and said that he didn't like bad humor... whatever the heck that means. (example: frequent ps:t humor were ok, 'cause it were good.) big heads is good humor?

*shrug*

big heads is optional, but am thinking for sawyer to laud such stuff is peculiar.  at least if poe big heads were silly/stoopid and original, but am given to understand that big heads is some kinda unlockable ha-ha feature that has been in other games, so is not even a particular creative obsidian addition to crpg humor. 

is all we gonna say on the subject.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Are maps being done in 3D and then worked over in "2D" programs? Or do you start with a map/area in 2D and then add the 3D pieces where its needed? What is the reason for using one option over the other?

The maps are hand drawn 2D.  They were never anything other than flat surfaces with some 3D effects on top of them to give the illusion of depth.  They went that way mostly to maximize visual quality while keeping cost down and staying true to the IE games.

That's incorrect. The backgrounds are created in a 3D program and then rendered into a 2D image. After that they might do a bit of paintover with Photoshop or similar program, if required. The same technique used in the original IE games.

It seems that way, but I have seen pros making images in 2D of amazing quality far faster than in 3D (just because the 3D needs the making + the render) so that's why I would love to know why they went for a "first 3D" approach.

It seems that way, but I have seen pros making images in 2D of amazing quality far faster than in 3D (just because the 3D needs the making + the render) so that's why I would love to know why they went for a "first 3D" approach.

Probably because they need some 3D geometry information anyway (for casting shadows and such), so why not generate it from the same source as the image itself is generated, so it all lines up neatly.

Also, if your artist drew a beautiful 2D scene but then the game designers decide they want that tree (or imagine any other object) moved a few feet to the left for story/encounter design purposes, that part of the image might have to be re-drawn from scratch.

If it's a rendered 3D scene, they can just move the tree's 3D object with a few mouse clicks, and have the computer render the scene again while the artists can work one something else.

Of course once the manual paint-over pass is done the backgrounds are pretty much locked down too, but afaik they only started doing those paintovers pretty late in the pipeline, so they they had quite a bit of wiggle room before then to change things.

• Like 3

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Think the simpliest explanation is that a layer is made over the 3d Image. (If your familar with Photoshop) Then the 3d image is painted over to make it appear as a 2D image. Basically. Gives the aesthic appearance of a 2D image, but allows dynamic lighting/shadows and other engine effects to be run on the fly off the graphics card. Example: Fireball in BG just red sprite effect, in PoE - Fireball causes all nearby characters to throw shadows relative to position of the fireball.

what the hell is a paint over?

It refers to the process of taking a computer-rendered image, and manually (using digital painting tools) painting additional details and light effects etc. on top of it, that would have been difficult to create using 3D modelling and textures alone.

Update #25 (from October 16, 2012 - last day of the Kickstarter) included this panel showing the difference between a raw rendered background (2nd-to-last pic) and one with an additional paint-over pass (last pic):

PE-TempleEntrance-ProcessStack-620.jpg

(Although it seems they have refined their rendering methods in the years and months since then, so even the ones without a paint over should now look a little more vibrant than the 2nd-to-last pic there.)

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 4

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Shouldn't Big Head mode boost your party's Intellect? And maybe Perception, unless your eyes are all disproportionate to your head. :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

^ That, and get fatigued more quickly from carrying around all that weight and holding it upright and balanced.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

And add the Wilhelm Scream every time they hit their head too :p

EDIT: That's weird...

A) My post window is "white".
B) The video I posted, I can't see it on my screen (can you?)

C) Those Big Head mode suggestions xD <3 haha

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 3

And you should get a bonus to Survival (specifically direction-finding in the wilderness), because you'll always know which way you should be heading.

Edited by Lephys

And you should get a bonus to Survival (specifically direction-finding in the wilderness), because you'll always know which way you should be heading.

Haven't we already run this pun to death in another thread?  It almost makes me want to stick my head in the ground.

Haven't we already run this pun to death in another thread?

Does this mean we might be dealing with the pundead here?!

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 6