Is it me or Baldur's Gate look better than POE?

Little unprofessional team and very big game ;(

Are you implying that Obsidian is exhibiting unprofessional conduct or that they are amateur game developers?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Little unprofessional team and very big game crying.gif

Are you implying that Obsidian is exhibiting unprofessional conduct or that they are amateur game developers?

He's implying Obsidian devs are Micronauts.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Little unprofessional team and very big game ;(

You know what im implying

am gonna admit that we don't know what you are implying.  we got some guesses, but am not certain.  some o' our guesses strain credulity, so we would choose to give you the benefit o' the doubt before we made claim that you is wrong.  

perhaps it would be better to say rather than imply. am not being snarky with that advice.  implication leaves considerable more room for misunderstanding than does clear statement.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 9

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

for obvious reasons, Gromnir believes the troll label is not particularly useful.  label somebody a troll w/o actual addressing their concerns is, perhaps ironic, very trollish.

the thing is, we can't actual identify the specific concerns being voiced by andriel.  we could take a stab at deciphering the complaint, but it makes far more sense for the poster to clarify than for Gromnir to try and craft an argument from implication before we address it.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

for obvious reasons, Gromnir believes the troll label is not particularly useful. label somebody a troll w/o actual addressing their concerns is, perhaps ironic, very trollish.

the thing is, we can't actual identify the specific concerns being voiced by andriel. we could take a stab at deciphering the complaint, but it makes far more sense for the poster to clarify than for Gromnir to try and craft an argument from implication before we address it.

HA! Good Fun!

Indeed.

But to also throw around the "unprofessional" label is a bit rich, and I would like to see the poster's reasons for such.

...The Sacramento Kings are a joke franchise right now in NBA circles. They fired Mike Malone, a respected up and coming coach who has the buy-in of the players and were off to their best start in over a decade.

His replacement is Ty Corbin. By universal consensus, he is a terrible head coach. He had a poor showing in his previous head coaching campaigns with Utah, and his team has completely regressed under his sinking ship. It's fair game to rip him.

Long story short, he was placed in an impossible situation as he is both under-qualified and is tactically challenged to be succesful --and this does not account for the turmoil surrounding him.

However, by all accounts, he has been professional throughout this whole ordeal even as he knows that he's about to be shown the door in a few days...

--Debate all we want about Obsidian's design decisions, art, sound, bugs, etc., ...but unprofessional? Hardly. So please, do explain.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

for obvious reasons, Gromnir believes the troll label is not particularly useful.  label somebody a troll w/o actual addressing their concerns is, perhaps ironic, very trollish.

Perhaps. But my posting yielded a more positive discussion, so I have no qualms.  :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Perhaps. But my posting yielded a more positive discussion, so I have no qualms.  :)

we were making a generalization; is our opinion that use troll label is typical unhelpful and ironic.

however, unless andriel clarifies, we suspect your descriptor is appropriate. at this point, andriel's post is the equivalent o' a guy driving by the obsidian offices, honking his horn and offering an obscene finger gesture to anybody who happens to be looking in his general direction. please note that we ain't particular bothered by posts that is nothing more than a general expression o' displeasure. after all, where else does he/she have to go to be offering such observations? be that as it may, without more from andriel, he/she can't expect more from obsidian or the people who seem to disagree with his/her grunt o' frustration.

troll label is typical not helpful, but andriel ain't helping either by refusing to explain concerns.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

...The Sacramento Kings are a joke franchise right now in NBA [blabla US sports analogy blabla] [...] in a few days...

*European scratches head dumbly*

I try to force in basketball analogies no matter how square or round the balls and holes are.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68989-pro-hoops-2k14-2k15/

Although this one may have been awkwardly forced. Oh Welp.

• Like 1

I think the art and style looks good they just made a few bad decisions that muck some things up...

Like Sensuki said the angle and ratio and the lighting could be considered an issue if it prevents further improvements on other areas of the game.

Also the 3d paper-doll thingy was a bad decision as that 3D doesn't compare at all to the rest of the game or the parts done in 2D....could have totally done a prettier paper-doll that wasn't in 3D.

The proper answer would be "who cares? As long as we get a top-notch RPG"

But I guess we're all big graphic whores after all, even after all that's said and done. :/

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

In this case I would say many responses in this thread are merely in favor of practicality and visual/art quality. If we were graphics whores we would be fapping over the lighting instead of saying we don't care about it because it's impractical.

• Like 1

I've never really understood the term when it's used like that. If we were graphics whores, would not we be profiting off of our own graphics?

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I guess that would make EPIC and CRYTECH graphic pimps?

[/offtopic]

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Also the 3d paper-doll thingy was a bad decision as that 3D doesn't compare at all to the rest of the game or the parts done in 2D....could have totally done a prettier paper-doll that wasn't in 3D.

am suspecting that more than anything, the choice to go with the current poe paper doll were a matter o' a largely uncontested cost v. benefit analysis.  it would have taken effort and art resources to make an appealing 2d paper doll. why go through that effort when you already got the 3d game avatar?  is there options that would look better than what we got? sure, but current paper doll is functional... and, truth-to-tell, considerably superior to the old bg and iwd paper dolls. is good enough and, from a development perspective, relative painless  compared to other options.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

To be fair, writing off the system used as 'impractical' does it a bit of injustice.  The height map also controls occlusion in Unity (and things like water rendering).  If we didn't have this tool, we would have to build out the occlusion by hand using maps or geometry (or something along those lines).  That would not be a time-saving option.  Building those occluders back in the IE days was no easy task (thank the gods for Scott Everts) and trying to do it using the high resolution images that we have with high-poly objects would be a nightmare.  It would easily be a full time job just to make those occlusion masks.

When you say that you don't care about the real time lighting or feel that it doesn't add much to the game, that's a fair opinion.  It is incorrect, however to assume that by getting rid of the heightmap system that we have that it would be any kind of a time saver.  If anything, real-time lighting affecting the background render is a byproduct of the occlusion system.

• Like 11

By the use of the word "impractical", I was referring solely to it's affect on units in combat (of which it moreso attributes to obscuring units in an already fairly muddy combat system with lower camera angles than the IE games) and the fact that it makes things harder to paint (meaning less paintovers).

I was not referring to anything to do with the development side of the game  :)

Thanks for sharing the info about it's pluses though.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

By the use of the word "impractical", I was referring solely to it's affect on units in combat (of which it moreso attributes to obscuring units in an already fairly muddy combat system with lower camera angles than the IE games) and the fact that it makes things harder to paint (meaning less paintovers).

I was not referring to anything to do with the development side of the game  :)

Thanks for sharing the info about it's pluses though.

I don't  have a problem with Obsidian researching using modern pipelines to recreate and enhance the style of IE games.   I'd hope that it pays off by creating a beautiful, efficient medium that spawns more games of the type.   (  This is already happening in part, I assume,  with the licensing to numenera? )  I'd expect grognards, for whom the flashy graphics are just getting in the way of their gameplay,  should still champion this kind of research for the impact it could have on the genre as a whole :)

Why not just make the whole game 3d instead of these "hacks" to apply 3d effects to 2d environments? Was it faster/easier? I thought the whole point was to have heavy paintovers so that the backgrounds would look unique and organic, foregoing detail limits of 3d games.