Is it me or Baldur's Gate look better than POE?

I've just watched the latest 1 hour stream of gameplay by Josh. I'm kind of worried about POE. The art or visuals in Baldur's Gate 2 seems to look better than POE to me. The buildings, the backgrounds, sceneries looks very bland to me. It's no where near the quality like the first tech video that was shown. Even Divinity Original Sins look leaps and bound more beautiful. This is not a troll thread. I'm seriously worried about the final quality of the game that will be released on March. The earlier section of the game probably will look better as they are much polished. Based on the latest stream that by Josh, not only the arts but the UI is equally dull and bland to me.

While i'm extremely excited about the game, but after the latest stream it put me off. I probably just wait for the game to release and listen to player's feedback and watch move videos before i put in my money. Thanks

That's weird. Many people around here myself included seem to think exactly the opposite. If there is something PoE does better than IE games did it's graphic and art style (and, maybe, narrative and writing overall, but we haven't really seen much of that in BB). Spell vfx may be a little too colorful, but backgrounds' art style looks great imo. Well, art always is a matter of taste, isn't it?

• Like 8

I've just watched the latest 1 hour stream of gameplay by Josh. I'm kind of worried about POE. The art or visuals in Baldur's Gate 2 seems to look better than POE to me. The buildings, the backgrounds, sceneries looks very bland to me. It's no where near the quality like the first tech video that was shown. Even Divinity Original Sins look leaps and bound more beautiful. This is not a troll thread. I'm seriously worried about the final quality of the game that will be released on March. The earlier section of the game probably will look better as they are much polished. Based on the latest stream that by Josh, not only the arts but the UI is equally dull and bland to me.

While i'm extremely excited about the game, but after the latest stream it put me off. I probably just wait for the game to release and listen to player's feedback and watch move videos before i put in my money. Thanks

What I am about to say might calm you or enrage you: Art and story is one things beta backers agree that is good.

Art & Visuals...

I like the visual design very much. That muddy, grim look...Its gorgeous. With character models It may blend too much here and there but I liked that models are not standing front too much. I cannot compare two art designs because Its art and since technology cant make art better, I cant really come up with an opinion because I dont know about the story. If the plot, gameplay, visuals and sounds merge together with in an art design, then I could say mission accomplished.

• Like 1

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Arts,UI, I'm not really care about them.(The only thing I can't accept is the FX of some magics,I.E. Spider Web.)

But when POE compare with Baldur's Gate 2,I should say the combat part of Baldur's Gate 2 is much better,profounder than POE.

And of course, I think the story telling of POE will win.In BG series,usually we can only choose do or not to do.In POE we can choose various ways about how to do.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Arts,UI, I'm not really care about them.(The only thing I can't accept is the FX of some magics,I.E. Spider Web.)

But when POE compare with Baldur's Gate 2,I should say the combat part of Baldur's Gate 2 is much better,profounder than POE.

And of course, I think the story telling of POE will win.In BG series,usually we can only choose do or not to do.In POE we can choose various ways about how to do.

It is unfair to compare PoE with Bg2 fully. Compare it with BG1. PoE2 will be able to be compared to BG2.
  • Like 2

It is unfair to compare PoE with Bg2 fully. Compare it with BG1. PoE2 will be able to be compared to BG2.

Yes..But you know...Now we have BG1:EE which have a updated combat system.

You don't get the point though. PoE is not meant to compare with- or be better than BG2. Baldur's Gate 2 is a result of a significant experience with the Infinity Engine, it's also built upon what worked in BG and what didn't. PoE has nothing to improve over and some of the time dedicated to its creation went into figuring out Unity. So if anything, one could compare PoE to BG1, as a fresh start with a new engine (although it should be noted that BG is crated by BioWare using their own engine). 

Hopefully, things can only go better from here.

Edited by Gorbag
  • Like 2

Nothing gold can stay.

And that would be comparable to PoE1:EE made on PoE2 engine 10 years later :)
  • Like 4

You don't get the point though. PoE is not meant to compare with- or be better than BG2. Baldur's Gate 2 is a result of a significant experience with the Infinity Engine, it's also built upon what worked in BG and what didn't. PoE has nothing to improve over and some of the time dedicated to its creation went into figuring out Unity. So if anything, one could compare PoE to BG1, as a fresh start with a foreign engine. 

Yes,I understand.But unfortunately POE and BG1:EE even BG2:EE are in the same market.We can't avoid that people will compare them.

Anyway,best wish for POE!

You don't get the point though. PoE is not meant to compare with- or be better than BG2. Baldur's Gate 2 is a result of a significant experience with the Infinity Engine, it's also built upon what worked in BG and what didn't. PoE has nothing to improve over and some of the time dedicated to its creation went into figuring out Unity. So if anything, one could compare PoE to BG1, as a fresh start with a foreign engine. 

Yes,I understand.But unfortunately POE and BG1:EE even BG2:EE are in the same market.We can't avoid that people will compare them.

Anyway,best wish for POE!

True, but as someone who's played through both BG games like a thousand times, I'd love to see something new in the same vein, even if it starts out less refined than the old games are now. Keeping the old games alive is one thing and trying to make new ones is another. 

Besides, if PoE turns out good, it could only add to my beloved RPG library. If it fails, that would be disappointing, yes, but I could still play the BG saga another thousand times. It would suck not to have more things to replay over and over again though. That kind of RPGs do not exactly hit the shelves every day. 

Nothing gold can stay.

Its totally you, probably because we tend to remember things in a idealistic way. But compare a couple of screenshots from both games and that banishes... sure some BG2 places have PoE quality, but just a couple. The years can be spotted easily in water, the fog of war. illumination in general, some textures / buildings that feel old renders (more geometric / with less detail / repeated textures / some "materials" don't look what they represent), UI, characters and some FXs. (radioactive vines, most fire effects in spells)

• Like 2

The game looks really good, backgrounds are gorgeous, the only weak part i saw till now is the first district of Defiance Bay, it seems so empty, lifeless and without personality (too much grey). 

The second district (the one with the keep) do much better in terms of visual

Edited by Mazisky

your best bet is to play the both and do a comparison video. Baldurs gate and infinity games have aged. Even with higher resolutions mods/patch they look bad because the game engine you can tell was not designed to support them ever. 

You can argue art style is better but not resolution and texture 3d graphic quality. If I had to compare where we are now from infinity using a game. Infinity engine games are the Wiis xenoblade chronicles, nice but blurry on wiis limited graphical capabilities. POE is xenoblade on the dolphin with highest native resolution and fan made hd texture patch. 

Not a huge fan of the [excessive] coloured mood lighting (glowing purple and green crystals. Just because it's magical doesn't mean it has to be hot pink..). I wish they'd have scaled that back a bit. Purely a matter of taste, though. 

• Like 1

This statement is false.

You should've used a Baldur's Gate City picture for comparison, or a Pillars of Eternity Wilderness picture Infinitron :p

mzl.ebpquect.1024x1024-65.jpg

This pic is a PoE wilderness area to compare with Infinitron's Baldur's Gate example (it's a bit big which is why I put it in Spoilers)

pe-wilderness-01-1920x1080-100156053-ori

• Like 4

It's just you :)

• Like 5

What I've seen, I like the graphics in PoE. Are they different? Well, sure.

The main difference to me (outside of obvious pixel size/detail improvements), is the color palette effect. A lot of the older top-down games - that I've played anyhow - had what I'd call a more over-saturated look, and colors "popped" more. This could create a feeling of more contrast as well. These days what's used is often much less total screen "color pop" with more advanced lighting and room for more variation and subtlety. Depending on the scene and visual preference, this can either feel like an immense improvement over the past or feel a bit too washed out or pastel-y.

It reminds me, actually, a little bit of matte vs. glossy photos. Some of us used to get into big debates over that, once upon a time. Some probably still do. :lol:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

you cant judge graphics from a video and more so from a stream. in the stream, the codec makes very liberal aproximations in many things to save bitrate, so the overall quality suffers. for example if you have multiple shades of a color in the picture, the codec will turn them all into the same one

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.