Consumables Overpowered. And enemies won't use them.

Bazy

Yep,the enemy should be able to use potions and other items.That will make them more alive and realistic.

And to sneak in and steal their potions will become a very fun tactics.Alright I forgot there is no thieves in POE :w00t:

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I suspect that consumables are deliberately overpowered -- to encourage folks to use them, rather than hoard them, which is certainly a chronic problem that I (personally) have in all but a few RPGs.  I don't think it is just me, either.

On the AI front:  In both the IE games and the Aurora (NWN) games, creatures can only use consumables if they are specifically scripted to do so -- and, even then, they aren't really using them.  Instead, the script checks for the presence of an item in inventory (e.g. "minor_endurance_potion"), applies the appropriate effect ("minor_heal") and then deletes the item.  This is a pain in the neck to implement, especially when you realize that neither of these games allow a script to call a different script (much less a function or the like), so if you have 100 AI scripts, your "use consumables" code has to be copied and pasted to each and every one.  And if you change the effect that is associated with a consumable you have to update all the scripts...  sad.png  Don't forget, that items that are dropped when the enemy is killed aren't  generated until the enemy is actually killed, and therefore aren't available to be consumed, so...  I'd be surprised if this changes, but it would be a nice change.

Obviously, items that cast spells should only be craftable if someone in the party can cast the spell in question -- but it seems reasonable that the crafter and the spellcaster might be different people.  If it doesn't work this way then this should change.  On the other hand, given a party of 6 and assuming a normal distribution, it would be rare to want to craft a scroll where nobody in the party has the ability to cast the spell, so maybe it does work this way, and it i just isn't obvious. original.gif

I have no problem if consumable are powerful, provided they are priced to reflect this. It would be ridiculous though if consumables are constantly being used in place of abilities.

If you feel this way, you might not want to play Torment: Tides of Numenera.