Detecting Hidden Objects

Sock

Why is that tied to mechanics? I can get it for traps, maybe, but floorboards? Loose bricks? Tapestries?

I think it would make more sense for hidden objects to all be tied to a variety of skills. For example:

A survivalist can spot the eggs hidden in a bird's nest, or edible plants, etc.

A loremaster can identify which scrolls are actually useful in a pile of paperwork, or they can recognize that the ring on that skeleton is actually valuable.

A sneak recognizes that the floorboard is loose.

An athlete can spot that loose brick, because they eye the wall as someone looking for the best places for foot holds.

A trapmaster can spot traps. 

This would give more value to all skills in finding hidden objects.

• Like 5

You sure it's perception?

I can only ever find anything when I send my trapper to hunt for hidden items. My wizard has higher perception (16), but it is inevitably my trapper (12 perception) that finds everything.

don't you have to be in sneak mode as well to find both traps and hidden objects

Yup, stealth is both stealth and search.

I can see why you would be better at searching in stealth mode - moving slower watching closely - but it seems to me that it should be possible for someone with a high enough "search skill" (whatever that's based on) should be able to discover some of the hidden items - unless the stealth effect just adds an insane bonus vs not stealthed

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

• 2 weeks later...

The "scout to find hidden items" was another thing that I found out about completely by accident, but I don't mind it being tied to mechanics as you'd want your sneaky character to be a master of unlocking anyway. 

It doesn't make as much sense as perception, but hey, like Josh said "q: Why does might improve gun damage = a: shut the **** up" :p

Edited by Havelok

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone ever confirm the mechanics of finding hidden objects. Is it tied to mechanics?

If so that's going to be interesting since having high mechanics means you are going to probably have crappy stealth to be up front.