Wild Orlan - Minor Threat, unexpectedly high number of crits?

Sock

I noticed something with my Leadsplitter using Wild Orlan Cipher recently.

She crits an absurd number of times, considering her accuracy. At a ratio of 2:1, she crits more often than she hits.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

post-55929-0-86179000-1423429585_thumb.jpg

She's a cipher, though, not rogue.

Minor Threat says that it converts 10% of hits to crit if attacking the same target as another character.

Ops didn't notice that, my bad. You could be getting a lot of Crits off her Cipher abilities which target will, it often tends to be a much weaker defence for the various creatures in the game than Deflection.

Haha, I didn't want to say this because this "bug" makes the ability awesome.

What I think happens is it adds 10% per ally attacking the same enemy as you. It also works for friendly fire type stuff (which I reported, but I don't think has been fixed) - when enemies are attacking your allies and you hit your ally with friendly fire - Minor Threat will trigger and crit them.

It's Hearth Orlan not Wild Orland that gets this.

• Hearth Orlan - Minor Threat: When attacking any target that is also being targeted by a teammate, Hearth Orlan convert some of their Hits into Crits.
  • Wild Orlan - Defiant Resolve: After being subjected to a Will attack, Wild Orlan temporarily gain a bonus to all defenses.

And yeah, it's overpowered and/or bugged. And yeah Wild Orlan's racial is terrible.

All of the racial abilities are quite underwhelming. Minor Threat is good because its bugged :D

It's funny that Minor Threat is probably closer to what I'd like to see in all racials, and it's wildly overpowered compared to all other racials.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I prefer racial abilities to be minor or just a "fun" thing than a significant gameplay effect. I'd rather make an Orlan Barbarian because that sounds like a fun(ny) character than because that's the optimal race for that class or, even worse the optimal race for every class.

• Like 1

All of the racial abilities are quite underwhelming. Minor Threat is good because its bugged :D

It's funny that Minor Threat is probably closer to what I'd like to see in all racials, and it's wildly overpowered compared to all other racials.

Yes, please! Fix the bug, but don't nerf it, and instead buff all the other racial bonuses pretty significantly!:)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I prefer racial abilities to be minor or just a "fun" thing than a significant gameplay effect. I'd rather make an Orlan Barbarian because that sounds like a fun(ny) character than because that's the optimal race for that class or, even worse the optimal race for every class.

I agree. I prefer race to be more of a roleplaying choice than a mechanical choice.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Hmm, I see it as a pro-roleplay choice, since it makes races and subraces even more distinct and fun in replays.

The problem is I get shoehorned into class roles I don't want. I'll give an example:

In Skyrim Orcs get a racial power that makes them into epic warriors. So when I wanted to play an Orc; I had to be a warrior or nerf my character horribly. I didn't want to be a warrior. I just wanted to be an orc cuz' they got cool lore and look neat. I think it's just restrictive when racial abilities are strong because you should make your class/attributes take proper advantage of it.

Unless you don't mind that your character will be weak, and I do mind. I say let's just keep it a minor power that doesn't really matter, and let the real difference between the races be lore and appearance.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

That's a fair argument, Namutree! I didn't like that in Skyrim either.

Still, I reckon, the boost should be significant and perhaps more build-neutral?

Significant? No.

Build Neutral? Sure.

• Like 1

I'd prefer a more elaborate racial system, with a few choices for each and then if desired the player can also simply trade a racial for an attribute boost.

The racials would fit the races and have a significant effect mechanically, but if you wanted to avoid a suboptimal race/class pairing you'd just take the attribute boost.

Maybe that's a bit too in depth/trying to please too many people though. Personally I like racials that both fit the race and have significant impact on the gameplay. I don't really like races being mostly an aesthetic choice in this style of game. It makes them less interesting to me.

• Like 1

I'd prefer a more elaborate racial system, with a few choices for each and then if desired the player can also simply trade a racial for an attribute boost.

The racials would fit the races and have a significant effect mechanically, but if you wanted to avoid a suboptimal race/class pairing you'd just take the attribute boost.

Maybe that's a bit too in depth/trying to please too many people though. Personally I like racials that both fit the race and have significant impact on the gameplay. I don't really like races being mostly an aesthetic choice in this style of game. It makes them less interesting to me.

That is an awesome idea.

It's the best of both worlds! 

It's hard to know without a DPS type metric. I tend to take it in advance and roll with two gunners, but I'm stuck with only one crossbow until I kill the ogre (unless I kill the orlan in the inn). So I don't have a lot of experience using them straight. But with the rifle, anything that improves that things rate of fire is worth taking IMO. I love my priest getting those crits for 100+ damage with it. I will say this, though. I absolutely notice the ranged ROF chant, and it has the same effect value.

I sincerely wish they had just not included racial abilities at all and left race as a role playing hook. I feel like they're putting an awful lot of work into making the attribute system into something that can be viable in a wide variety of configurations just to have people like me turn around and pigeon hole race-class combos based on abilities anyway. The current selections are only build neutral in the sense that most of them are nigh on useless pretty much regardless of what class you are.

A lot of them also suffer from fairly poor feedback. The human ability does go off fairly often, but it only displays in the Character Record. I believe it's mechanics have also slightly been changed from its description

Edited by Sensuki

Hearth Orlan is where it's at. In a D&D setting, I typically prefer gnomes both mechanically and characteristically. Orlans are filling those same preferences for me. Try getting a team of these guys together. It's brutal.

But they live shorter lives than humans :(

Therefor I will never play one, 'cause that sucks. Elves always get all the nice stuff. Immortal slender graceful pretty people basically. It's hard to make other races appealing when you're going to include DnD/Tolkien-esque elves in there.

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/76137431236/what-are-the-average-life-spans-of-the-races-in#_=_