Solo Insanity - U can't touch this

Infinitron

It doesn't actually work perfectly against a wider range of creatures, and it's required a very very specific build with every thing put into defence, as a result the attack speed is very low and the damage isn't great though that could be improved by customising the weapons . All the examples shown where there are all misses is against enemies with ACC of 50 or less while there are others even on normal and easy who have accuracy of 54, 66, 75, 85 which will still hit and hit hard :).

The build is giving near immunity up to ACC of ~50 on Easy-Hard this includes all spiders (apart from Queen), Medreth's party (but not the other groups of humans). Creatures that can still hit are wood beetles (51, so maybe not or very rarely), Stone Beetles 62, Adra Beetle ~71, Elder Wolves (possibly) 54, Bears 73, Elder Bears 85, Korgrak 84 and probably most of the spell casting enemies and Elder Lions.

It's a pretty nice build for solo play though I'd want to probably switch the weapon to a Spear (for decent dmg + the ACC bonus) or Mace (decent dmg + Penetration) with Accuracy 2, Damaging and some secondary damage types to speed up the damage being dealt.

On PoD the build loses it's advantage as all the enemies have ACC of over 50 (usually they get +15ACC).

Edited by aeonsim
  • Like 1

Yeah I tried that build myself and it works against spiders, but you get CREAMED against other encounters, and with a party that build just doesn't deal any damage so your party takes more damage because you're not doing anything to help out (other than getting hit less).

Medreth's party can still destroy that build if you get hit by the Knockdown, Blinding Strike, Divine Mark, Monk Stun etc etc

I don't really like +1 Deflection on two attributes though, it makes the build way worse than it used to be in v392 where it only required Max Intellect. I'd prefer Deflection be moved to Resolve and +1 Accuracy put onto Perception with Interrupt, but that's just me.

That way a max Deflection build will be easier to hit by higher Perception characters and it will be less garbage offensively as you can invest in two attributes that actually do something other than deal with the interrupt system.

Edited by Sensuki

I don't really like +1 Deflection on two attributes though, it makes the build way worse than it used to be in v392 where it only required Max Intellect. I'd prefer Deflection be moved to Resolve and +1 Accuracy put onto Perception with Interrupt, but that's just me.

Meh.  I like it just fine how it is.  Accuracy and interrupt on the same stat would just be OP land again for perception.

I dunno about that tbh. Especially not if you only got +1 from Per and +2 Deflection from Res. I think it would be viable to leave at 10, and good at any point above it.

I'd like to test the 'new' interrupt, but I still think the stats will be completely avoidable for many classes.

While there is no longer the 'best' stat like there was from v301 onwards, I'm only finding it marginally better than the v278 system.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

The max Def build is rather nice the following shows what attack roll is needed to hit you at level 4-6 if your using it for different accuracies. For Deflection attacks from creatures with ACC below 50 your pretty much immune. If the roll is above the red line they can't hit you.

16285415890_8fcc871a6e_o.png

Edited by aeonsim

While there is no longer the 'best' stat like there was from v301 onwards, I'm only finding it marginally better than the v278 system.

Well the devs want a stat system that is not a no brainer and want people to have to think about it.  The 301 and on systems were fairly obvious on what stats were good and which weren't and I bet testing by the QA team showed the same stats consistently got ignored over and over and over and with the new system the stat use spread is much closer and less "I always put points in this and never put points in that".

Presumably you're immediately screwed if anything that naturally targets fortitude gets to you though?

In his build you are screwed the second you fight anything with 60 accuracy or better.

Why? Your hit table goes from:

If you have 135 deflection your hit table goes compared to a lvl 50 accuracy to level 60 accuracy goes from:

1-100: Miss 

To:

1-90 miss

91-100 graze

1/10 attacks grazing isn't exactly getting screwed. And those will probably all be min attacks if you have any kind of DR. 

Edited by Bazy

Presumably you're immediately screwed if anything that naturally targets fortitude gets to you though?

No more screwed than anyone else. At least if you get hit with a fort attack you won't be taking damage from other sources. 

Honestly having low deflection means your getting crit for days. Having high deflection means you barely get hit at all.

For example, BB wizard's roll table against a level 60 accuracy. 

1-10 = graze

11-60 = hit

61-100 = crit

Everyone keeps saying... well that doesn't work against high accuracy npcs. But it's even worse if you have low deflection.

BB wizard v Elder Bear

1-31 = hit

32-100 = crit

135 Deflection vs Elder Bear

1-53 = miss

54-89 = graze

90 -100 =hit 

Edited by Bazy

Everyone keeps saying... well that doesn't work against high accuracy npcs. But it's even worse if you have low deflection.

You can't kill them though. You can invest in Perception and Resolve, and have a high Deflection, and get hit for a bit less damage but deal absolutely nothing back - like 1-2 damage per hit/graze through DT or whatever. Meanwhile you're getting destroyed slightly more slowly.

Using a shield slows down your recovery, and larger shields reduce your accuracy something shocking (I think by too much), so you're screwed.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

You can't kill them though. You can invest in Perception and Resolve, and have a high Deflection, and get hit for a bit less damage but deal absolutely nothing back - like 1-2 damage per hit/graze through DT or whatever. Meanwhile you're getting destroyed slightly more slowly.

Using a shield slows down your recovery, and larger shields reduce your accuracy something shocking (I think by too much), so you're screwed.

For soloing with certain classes yes.  Druid, Priest, Wizard would be worthless without rest spamming. Fighter and pally just worthless in general. 

I could see rogue, barbarian, chanter and cipher all doing plenty of solo damage, maybe monk. Especially rogue. 

If you focus damage as a solo player there is no way you can do enough without getting destroyed. 

Edited by Bazy

For soloing with certain classes yes.  Druid, Priest, Wizard would be worthless without rest spamming. Fighter and pally just worthless in general. 

I could see rogue, barbarian, chanter and cipher all doing plenty of solo damage, maybe monk. Especially rogue. 

If you focus damage as a solo player there is no way you can do enough without getting destroyed. 

The level of deflection this thread is talking about can't be achieved by most classes...  The guy is using a paladin in his pics for a reason.

The vast majority of deflection comes from talents and gear. People are pushing 130 deflection on the beta. A pally has base deflection of 20 and 2 from faith and conviction.

Most other classes have 15 base. That's a 7 deflection advantage by being a pally. Not exactly too far off.

Rogues only need to have 100 deflection against accuracy of 50 to be unhittable with a 82% miss rate and 12% graze. That is very feasible.

Edited by Bazy

What?

Paladin and Fighter have 35 base deflection. Most others have 25. Priests and Wizards have 15.

Paladin also has Faith and Conviction which can boost Deflection by 7 over the Fighter, and 17 over the others.

Have you actually tried 100 Deflection against Accuracy 50? I have. It's not good. You have to sacrifice heaps of DPS to get it, and it's only one defense, there are three others that enemies can (and do) attack, and some of those attacks will hit you (eg. Stunning Blow) and reduce your Deflection dramatically.

It only works against some enemies. Otherwise it's an awful build IMO.

• Like 1

I have been trying a new high-deflection build using the monk class, hearth orlan.

Might: 15, Con: 14, Perc: 18, Res: 11, rest low.

It's using rapier with +5 accuracy and fine large shield (stolen from BB priest).

It's still pretty sucky in Acc (41), but has Defl 95, Refl 80, Fort 50, Will 35.

At level 5:

Tal: Cautious Attack, Weapon & Shield style

Abi:

Force of Anguish, Torment's Reach, Trans Suffering 2, Minor Threat, Turning Wheel

Oh, and my interrupt is huge.

The good thing is that she is nearly unhittable in that Medreth brawl, and she did almost all by herself. The BB Fighter was used as bait.

The bad thing is she hits for weak damage, but very consistently (notice that graze damage and hit damage is almost always the same, but extra crit chance from being a hearth orlan did work later vs beetles with BB fighter beside her), piercing, piercing. She's also slow for being a monk, still overall a very soild survivor build so far. I'm passed beetles and that second party in Dyrford Crossing now. She's unstoppable, almost, with a little planning and luck.

MVeeB4.jpg

The other characters are damaged mostly because they wandered into the fight by mistake, stupid auto AI or whatever. The diff was only normal, though.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The key to solo play is the chanter I suspect. I'll give it whirl and report to you guys how it went...

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I've been soloing. It's easy as I suspected. I just wanted to show a quick highlight:

hk8rpDS.jpg

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Yeah I tried that build myself and it works against spiders, but you get CREAMED against other encounters, and with a party that build just doesn't deal any damage so your party takes more damage because you're not doing anything to help out (other than getting hit less).

Medreth's party can still destroy that build if you get hit by the Knockdown, Blinding Strike, Divine Mark, Monk Stun etc etc

That way a max Deflection build will be easier to hit by higher Perception characters and it will be less garbage offensively as you can invest in two attributes that actually do something other than deal with the interrupt system.

That would just make Perception horribly broken(op). Again.

I've been soloing. It's easy as I suspected. I just wanted to show a quick highlight:

What's the general strategy for Chanter solo?

Speed and defense. Prolong the fight and build up chants. Then use summons to kill the enemies.

1: Choose the speed increasing chant to help you keep distance on enemies.

1uKiWnG.jpg

• Like 2