Option to Respec

but yes, it does bear repeating that the PLAYER's choices should have consequences, which is exactly why respec is needed.

Eeeeeeeh...

:huh:

If a developer or mechanics errs, there should be patches, not respec so it's never to be used again.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

but yes, it does bear repeating that the PLAYER's choices should have consequences, which is exactly why respec is needed.

Eeeeeeeh...

:huh:

If a developer or mechanics errs, there should be patches, not respec so it's never to be used again.

patches that frequently come months apart?  sorry, but that is not a genuine solution. respec is not a solution either, but it is a reasonable bandage... is an arguably necessary bandage to deal with inevitable contravening o' player choice because o' inevitable technical error, counter-intuitive mechanics and the numerous talents, spells and other features that have in-game effects that do not necessarily match expectations o' a reasonable reader/player.

btw, patches is also gonna invalidate the choices many folks make because they is playing the game as it actual works as 'posed to advertised.  when game is "fixed" after a couple months via a patch, those folks is gonna necessarily have their choices invalidated.

most recent and largest patch for wasteland 2 were released a couple days ago. that game is still being patched many months after release. how many more patches does da:i likely need? you think poe will be different?

is not a hypothetical.  more than a few players is gonna have their role-play choices subverted because o' problems with the game... problems not the fault o' the player.  respec makes sense.  only argument against a single respec that we has seen is that some folks got a philosophical aversion to the notion that people will be able to exploit a single respec.  so what? why do you care? if game is as balanced as developers is aiming for, then there shouldn't be much opportunity to game the system, but we concede that such balance is a naive hope.  reality is you is weighing your philosophical pretensions against the very real inevitability that many players will be stuck playing a broken character for many hours at which point, sans a respec option, they needs continue playing the broken character, or wait for a patch to Maybe fix. respec mitigates inevitable harm some players will suffer. respec is not a solution, but is better than nothing.  wait for patch is nothing.

HA! Good Fun!

edit: we forgot the restart option in case o' broken character. so sans respec you get option to restart, continue playing broken or wait for patch. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^So I repeat: Why program in a respec option (with the additional UI elements + bug-testing therein), when the console commands could be used to the same effect (which also cover other, non-PC-build, problems like a script not firing or a variable not incrementing).

(I'm assuming at the moment  that the console commands cover as much as the IE/NWN games - devs? Is there a Give negative XP option? A delevel option?)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

It will just get modded in.

Don't get your hopes up. 

It's highly probable. I don't care for VIP resets, but 'other' developers have been protecting gamers from themselves far too much these days. It's highly patronising and also symbolic of the shallow RPGs we have been attuned to lately. For example, ditching deep, strategic combat in place of the ability to have sex with a transexual because 'feminism' isn't how to create a good RPG.

Deep strategic combat is not mutually exclusive with sexually diverse romance options. Stop attaching a social agenda to a point that is otherwise well-made without one. So, I agree that games have become shallow in the area of mechanics, but that isn't necessarily do to them addressing issues in sexual diversity. Correlation not being causation and all that jazz.

• Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

^So I repeat: Why program in a respec option (with the additional UI elements + bug-testing therein), when the console commands could be used to the same effect (which also cover other, non-PC-build, problems like a script not firing or a variable not incrementing).

(I'm assuming at the moment  that the console commands cover as much as the IE/NWN games - devs? Is there a Give negative XP option? A delevel option?)

respec is more user friendly and can be tailored specific to avoid making story vital features modified. don't want culture or race or sex changeable for story reasons? fine. can de-level to 0 w/o messing with story elements.  we would rather have obsidian in control o' what can be respec'd, but if console commands is the only alternative, we wouldn't object. 

a single respec also is an olive branch, o' sorts, for the folks who is worried about exploitation o' respec. set respec to maximum o' one opportunity with it being reset after every major patch? don't respec before patch 3?  you still only get 1 respec opportunity.  will some persons exploit console commands if they have available? is possible. we don't care, but for those who seem overly concerned, limit respec options to one makes possible exploitative uses o' respec a minimal concern, no?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A respec option is just that: An option. The argument that it devalues your choices is utter nonsense, you have the tool to give your character build decisions the proper weight: Your imagination. Imagine the option isn't there, or that it requires time/gold that your character doesn't have/want to spend, or that there is a risk involved in the process. Roleplay.

I don't imagine they will ever add this feature to this game, so praise be to the flying spaghetti monster for CE and save editors.