Option to Respec

Is there such an option in the beta and if not, has there been word that it will be available in the final game ?

Wouldn't it be grand if you've found a VIP Companion and then re-train her talents/skills to complinent your party needs ?

Or if mid-way in the game you've found a kick-arse artifact and want to re-train your talents to better benefit from using it ?

Respec is a handy option that I rarely see in crpgs.

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I don't see why. The developers shouldnt have to protect gamers from themselves with regards to 'cheating'. The option should be there for the gamer to roleplay how they see fit. Unless I'm missing a more mechanical reasoning?

Although I dont think VIP companions should be able to utilise it. It should be solely for the player's character and non-VIP companions.

Edited by BlueLion

Care to comment, as I have missed it ?

edit: @Sensuki, about the reasons

Edited by constantine

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Choices are permanent...

Odd you say you never see this in modern RPG's while it's one of the stapples of modern rpg's; the ability to just not live with consequences... since apparently that's too hard to cope with.

I say, welcome back permanent choices!

• Like 7

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Choices are permanent...

Odd you say you never see this in modern RPG's while it's one of the stapples of modern rpg's; the ability to just not live with consequences... since apparently that's too hard to cope with.

idk about modern rpgs, I dont bother with the vast majority of them, I said I've never seen the option in crpgs like the ones that inspired PoE.

We have an infinite stash, non-permanent choices pale in comparison.

Thankfully, no, PoE does not have "respec". PoE has always aimed to be a roleplaying game, and deliberately moves away from the no-consequences paradigm. One could argue that PoE has a number of key flaws when it comes to oldschooling it, but this isn't one of them.

It will just get modded in.

That's not an argument, though. Just because people can and will break core concepts of the game doesn't mean that those core concepts should be breakable by default in the game itself.

Sensuki and Bester would never use "We're going to mod out the Engagement mechanic anyway" as an argument against Engagement. It's nonsense.

idk about modern rpgs, I dont bother with the vast majority of them, I said I've never seen the option in crpgs like the ones that inspired PoE.

The infinite stash is ridiculous too. A being worse than B doesn't mean that B is good. False equivalence. Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Don't get your hopes up. 

It's highly probable. I don't care for VIP resets, but 'other' developers have been protecting gamers from themselves far too much these days. It's highly patronising and also symbolic of the shallow RPGs we have been attuned to lately. For example, ditching deep, strategic combat in place of the ability to have sex with a transexual because 'feminism' isn't how to create a good RPG.

• Like 1

Thankfully, no, PoE does not have "respec". PoE has always aimed to be a roleplaying game, and deliberately moves away from the no-consequences paradigm. One could argue that PoE has a number of key flaws when it comes to oldschooling it, but this isn't one of them.

That's not an argument, though. Just because people can and will break core concepts of the game doesn't mean that those core concepts should be breakable by default in the game itself.

Sensuki and Bester would never use "We're going to mod out the Engagement mechanic anyway" as an argument against Engagement. It's nonsense.

The infinite stash is ridiculous too. A being worse than B doesn't mean that B is good. False equivalence.

Anyway, I didn't mean to open Pandora's box, but what I imply is that we have already watered our wine in the sake of convenience-

And in my eyes, HOW the choice and consequence plot-wise is designed will make PoE a role-playing experience, not if you can or cannot respec your feats.

Even hardcore D&D allows (at the DM's call) respec. Re-training is only natural actually.

Drizzt Do'Urden has even changed a class :p

From being a fighter he turned to ranger. Well, just saying :p

Anyway, many don't agree with me and it's not a major issue for me eitherway. Would only be more convenient, but more important, you could get more value out of VIP Companions.

• Like 1

Don't get your hopes up. 

It's highly probable. I don't care for VIP resets, but 'other' developers have been protecting gamers from themselves far too much these days. It's highly patronising and also symbolic of the shallow RPGs we have been attuned to lately. For example, ditching deep, strategic combat in place of the ability to have sex with a transexual because 'feminism' isn't how to create a good RPG.

Must have missed all those deep, tactical RPGs that swapped out strategic combat for transgender sex as a talking point on the back of the box. What the ****?

On topic, respec doesn't work in a game like this. Too easy to move your character into different roles as the situation requires (say, swapping all of your skill points into mechanics to pick a tough lock then switching back). Better you have to stick to your decisions. And I never like respeccing NPC companions; they should be unique individuals who join my group, and their stat/level-up choices is part of what makes them unique (even if Morrigan did waste her points in shapeshifting).

You have a point there, but then again every character could be allowed to respec just once in their career, and it could be made in adventurer's hall under a trainer, costing a fair some of gold.

Nm, let's drop the matter :)

Choices are permanent...

I'm also masochistic enough to underline this ^

I don't mind that I have made some wrong min-maxing choice, and if I later, in like playthrough 7, have to resort to some character editor because of something I overlooked, I'm fine with that too. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Don't get your hopes up. 

Must have missed all those deep, tactical RPGs that swapped out strategic combat for transgender sex as a talking point on the back of the box. What the ****?

On topic, respec doesn't work in a game like this. Too easy to move your character into different roles as the situation requires (say, swapping all of your skill points into mechanics to pick a tough lock then switching back). Better you have to stick to your decisions. And I never like respeccing NPC companions; they should be unique individuals who join my group, and their stat/level-up choices is part of what makes them unique (even if Morrigan did waste her points in shapeshifting).

Somewhat hyperbolic, but have you played Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc? They target a sexually oppressed audience, the kind that donates hundreds of pounds to Twitch girls for the chance of boob, instead of producing a compelling game that immerses you in the depth of its story and combat.

Edited by BlueLion
  • Like 2

Don't get your hopes up. 

Somewhat hyperbolic, but have you played Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc? They target a sexually oppressed audience, the kind that donates hundreds of pounds to Twitch girls for the chance of boob, instead of producing a compelling game that immerses you in the depth of its story and combat.

The weird romance stuff in modern RPGs ( and which Obsidian is avoiding in this title, thankfully!) seems like a natural extension for Bioware. A large chunk of their fanbase exists because people really glommed on to the character interactions in Baldur's Gate 2 as being the defining element of that game (and BG2 is easily the most mainstream of the IE titles). And raunchy dwarf on elf man-loving or Talimancers aren't that odd compared to a crippled winged-elf popping a baby into your inventory.

Kind of off-topic for this thread, either way. A limited re-spec might work, but respecs always feel a little too MMO to me. Regardless, if there's a demand for it I'm sure someone will work up a Shadow Keeper equivalent. I don't expect Obsidian to put it in, anyways.

providing the player with at least a single respec strikes us as a good thing.  this is a new game with a new rule system, and in spite of all the beta testing, Gromnir is  certain that there will be some pretty significant post-release mechanics blunders that will require equal significant patches.  how many patches will be released before game actual takes a stable form? 3?  6?  

at this moment, increase dexterity slows down weapon speed. spells work properly (at least as far as we can see) but your dex investment for a weapon using character is providing results opposite o' what you would expect.  interrupt is being complete retooled, so while high perception is more useful at the moment, it will be less so soon.  is literal dozens o' similar issues and while we hope the final game won't have such problems, believing that to be the case is naive in the extreme.

it will be months after initial release before major mechanics bugs is eliminated from the game and developers is done balancing.  you could get dozens o' hours invested in the game before it becomes clear to you, other players and the developers, that your character, which looks good on paper, is actual gimped.  converse, perhaps you made your character after mechanics problems known or unexpected balance issues became apparent (sadly, some o' the worst mistakes is when a feature works properly, but not as developers expected) but after major patch #2, your character became ineffectual because obsidian decided on a way to "fix" the problem.

folks like to argue merits of respec from some weird philosophical pov. we see the argument characterized as a nutty Old Skool Goodness v. Myopic Console Twitch  debate and that is simple wrong.  poe has a complex New rule system and when it is first released, it is gonna be broken. a considerable number o' minor and major features o' poe is gonna be broken for many months following the initial release o' the game.  some kinda limited respec should be considered as a way to reduce the negative impact o' the inevitable brokeness o' the game.   is a good idea from a developer pov as well as fans will howl and moan less about the broken game if they can at least adjust their character to react to the reality o' the current condition o' the game while the developers work to fix it.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 7

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)