Just make it give 100 deflection? All things equal you can't be hit, but we know things are never equal :p. Or maybe make it convert stuff to one grade lower (crits->hits->grazes->misses). Getting like 10% less dmg really doesn't sound that great for somethnig that's supposed to be a momentary respite.

1. enemies in BB are much stronger than they will be in the actual game in that level range

2. AV is a last resort type of spell meant to keep you alive a little longer in case somebody gets to you, it's not an "Invulnerability Field Mk IX" (i wonder if anyone will get the reference)

3. you can use armor

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Though mage armor pretty much lasted all day... and was still almost worthless.

:blink:

Have we been playing the same Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale?

I found the Mage Armor spell very useful.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Yeah, you're not going to see an ability that makes you immune to damage in this game, certainly not at lower levels.

The ability has been nerfed from its original concept. These things happen.

Priest, Druid, Rogue all have immunities

1. enemies in BB are much stronger than they will be in the actual game in that level range

2. AV is a last resort type of spell meant to keep you alive a little longer in case somebody gets to you, it's not an "Invulnerability Field Mk IX" (i wonder if anyone will get the reference)

3. you can use armor

1. There is wide range of enemies on the BB. It sucks against all of them. 

2. There are a number of other mage abilities that are more effective at that and will keep you alive longer. That don't require 2 talent points. 

3. Not sure how that is relevant. The benefits of AV shouldn't depend on whether you wear armor or not. 

Edited by Bazy

As another comparison... Fighter's vigorous defense...

Vigorous Defense                       Arcane Veil

+20 To ALL defenses                 +25 Deflection

Per Encounter                             Per Rest

15 Seconds                                 10 Seconds

• Like 5

Maybe it could just grant you pure DR. Then have firearms deal extra damage against it. Dunno how much work it'd be to have that one case be special, though (as "firearms" is not a damage type). But, it seems like that makes it more unique than just granting varying degrees of Deflection. The DR could at least be restricted to physical attacks (Burn, Freeze, Corrode, etc. would still deal full damage).

Oh, and still have it degrade with hits. Maybe it lasts 15 seconds, and gives you 30DR vs. physical damage types, and that goes down by 5 for every hit you take. Just as an example. Adjust numbers as you see fit.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Oh, and still have it degrade with hits. Maybe it lasts 15 seconds, and gives you 30DR vs. physical damage types, and that goes down by 5 for every hit you take. Just as an example. Adjust numbers as you see fit.

Mirrored image already does that. 

They could just swap arcane reflection with arcane veil and that would actually fit the purpose and lore.

Edited by Bazy

...., but it does bother me that people think I'm trying to sabotage their favorite class, class feature, game feature, etc.

....Is it enough?  Clearly not for everyone, but this was honestly what we were able to do -- not because we decided to short-change spellcasters, but because even with 5 out of 11 classes (the casters) receiving about 3/4 of all abilities, we could only do so many special case scripts for them.

As another comparison... Fighter's vigorous defense...

Vigorous Defense                       Arcane Veil

+20 To ALL defenses                 +25 Deflection

Per Encounter                             Per Rest

15 Seconds                                 10 Seconds

:skeptical:

• Like 1

Though mage armor pretty much lasted all day... and was still almost worthless.

Arcane veil is something that supposedly justifies carrying firearms, specifically to counter it.

Que? Mage Armour is awesome.. until you get those nifty AC Bracers that make no sense in BG2.

As for Arcane Veil, it more than doubles your Deflection. That's pretty big.

:blink:

Have we been playing the same Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale?

I found the Mage Armor spell very useful.

Well.. maybe I didn't play as well as you guys. Always had my mages tucked back.

But I seem to recall always having abundance of AC bracelets at mid levels, while at early game

spending a spell slot on something that doesn't debilitate or hurt the enemies seemed a waste.

Uh, yeah, how long does that thing last even? When I've suggested 100 deflection I was thinking for like 2-3 seconds, just as a panic button or to counter some big volleys. Not sure how mages are in this game, but if they're anywhere close to squishy as in the IE games you need to prevent damage, not lower it. AC improving stuff for mages was the last thing I get in BG, prefering to either keep them out of reach, intercept or disable threats or just focus firepower.

Besides even a thousand deflection still leaves you vulnerable to many other things and as far as I understood squishy enemies need something so that they don't get instagibed and can actually cast a spell and be a threat.

Lorewise, it seemed to be a per encounter ability to necessitate firearms as a response. Arcane Veil should be a per encounter ability at the least, or  (time allowing) drastic tool that gives wizards a unique gameplay mechanic. I've never been a huge wizard/mage fan, but they seem pretty lackluster when compared to the other casters in PoE.

Mirrored image already does that.

Does it? I thought it used Deflection. 'Cause there's that little 1st-level spell that grants you bonus Deflection that vanishes after one hit. Then there's the 2nd level spell (can't remember which one's, specifically, "Mirrored Image" and which one isn't) that grants bonus deflection for a longer period that gets "chipped away" with every hit. I didn't know there was one that just granted a DR shield that got chipped away.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u