Swashbuckler/Pirate Build?

Hi - I was thinking it might be fun to make a Swashbuckler/Pirate build - basically a rogue with dual-wielding rapier/stiletto and pistol skills, focusing on   cunning and underhand attacks. Perhaps an aristocrat fallen on hard times, who's a bit of a cad. What would be good starting choices for such a build? Not so interested in traps/thieving. Also - how easy are the first pistols to get hold of (no spoilers please)?

• Like 2

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

well you will need the relevant weapon skills, as for dirty tricks they come with the class. aristocrat fallen on hard times is a character background you can choose and may change some stats and you dont have to get traps thieving you can just as easily invest in other skills. as for guns its anyone's guess until the games comes out

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

well you will need the relevant weapon skills, as for dirty tricks they come with the class. aristocrat fallen on hard times is a character background you can choose and may change some stats and you dont have to get traps thieving you can just as easily invest in other skills. as for guns its anyone's guess until the games comes out

Do you need good mechanics skills to be good with guns? I assume light armour and high Dex would be useful to get in swift attacks, anything else worth focusing on?

skills like mechanics, lore etc have no direct impact on the combat. with lore of course you get to figure out the stats and weaknesses of enemies you fight and with mechanics you may get to set traps and lure enemies into them, but they do not affect your performance in the actual combat

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

skills like mechanics, lore etc have no direct impact on the combat. with lore of course you get to figure out the stats and weaknesses of enemies you fight and with mechanics you may get to set traps and lure enemies into them, but they do not affect your performance in the actual combat

Is there a manual where all this is covered? I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment...

Is there a manual where all this is covered? I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment...

not until the release, however some tips you can find in these videos

• Like 2

-Teknoman2-

The biggest problem with that build would actually be weapon focus talents. In PoE, each Weapon Focus talent covers a range of weapons, which makes sense, given that you only get very, very few Talents.

And no Talent (currently) grants you a focus in Rapier, Stiletto and Pistols at the same time.

...there really should be more Weapon Focus Talents, with different combinations. There's absolutely no overlap, and there really should be. There should be a Weapon Focus (Swashbuckler) that gives you Rapier, Stiletto and Pistols...

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Don't pirates wield sabres rather than rapiers?

Sure, pirates without class, u_u...

And no Talent (currently) grants you a focus in Rapier, Stiletto and Pistols at the same time.

Yeah... I really almost wish it were a lot more modular. I mean, I realize no one wants to spend 1 proficiency point every other level on a single weapon or anything. But, what if we got to pick 3 weapon focii at creation, then could take talents from there on out to take more if we'd like? Or, maybe the current groupings are simply tied to background, and don't take up a talent slot? Then you build on top of that.

*shrug*. If we could have a talent that simply granted 4 basic weapon proficiencies, even, instead of just giving us a specific 4, then just let us pick them, and apply those modifiers. Then, maybe as you specialize further, the number of choices gets smaller. "You're decent with these 5 things. You're good with these 3 things. You're awesome with this one thing." Or something similar to that.

I'd like to make a melee-capable (not necessarily TANK) Wizard who uses a rapier, but, to do that, I have to give up other weapons I'd like to use as backups. I can't use a rapier, and alternatively a quarterstaff or something, because that's two completely different groupings.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Not the gentlemanly kind.

Sure, pirates without class, u_u...

Yeah... I really almost wish it were a lot more modular. I mean, I realize no one wants to spend 1 proficiency point every other level on a single weapon or anything. But, what if we got to pick 3 weapon focii at creation, then could take talents from there on out to take more if we'd like? Or, maybe the current groupings are simply tied to background, and don't take up a talent slot? Then you build on top of that.

*shrug*. If we could have a talent that simply granted 4 basic weapon proficiencies, even, instead of just giving us a specific 4, then just let us pick them, and apply those modifiers. Then, maybe as you specialize further, the number of choices gets smaller. "You're decent with these 5 things. You're good with these 3 things. You're awesome with this one thing." Or something similar to that.

I'd like to make a melee-capable (not necessarily TANK) Wizard who uses a rapier, but, to do that, I have to give up other weapons I'd like to use as backups. I can't use a rapier, and alternatively a quarterstaff or something, because that's two completely different groupings.

I think the idea of the grouped Focii are intended to represent a wide enough range of weapons to allow someone to use what they find even if they don't happen to find that one macguffin that just happens to be your favourite weapon. I think it's designed to avoid cherry-picking things, especially once you know the game.

Like going for Two-Handed Weapons just because you know you'll get the Holy Avenger, or Warhammers for Crom Faeyr; leading you to ignore the many quite nice Clubs and Quarterstaffs. So instead, they give you a set, so you'll use this and that, and that, and maybe a bit of this.. but still be able to later use that one thing that you really want, for whatever reason, and also give those things no-one would otherwise use a place.

It also guarantees that everyone is proficient with at least one ranged weapon, afaik.

That being said, I'd really just like to see more overlap, and different combinations. I think the ideas of the developers (or at least my interpretation of those ideas) are actually really good, great even, and we should avoid the cherry-picking of the IE games. I just want to see.. more and more flavourful weapon focus groups. I can think of two on the top of my head; one for Swashbucklers (Rapier, Stiletto, Pistol, at least) and one for Fusiliers (all the gunpowder weapons, at least).

They just need to prevent the bonuses from stacking (so that if each Weapon Focus group gives +6, taking two groups that both include Rapier does not give you +12).

t50aJUd.jpg