My old school solid UI mock-up for Pillars of Eternity

Grotesque

Hi Grotesque,

Just a quick Q: why is the log not as high as the inventory and spell bars in all your screens?

Is it just to show that the log height is adjustable? If yes think it would look better if all the bottom elements would be the same height...

Anyway... just my 2¢ :)

Hi Grotesque,

Just a quick Q: why is the log not as high as the inventory and spell bars in all your screens?

Is it just to show that the log height is adjustable? If yes think it would look better if all the bottom elements would be the same height...

Anyway... just my 2¢ :)

" [...] the log is a bit depressed so that the conversation and fight log tabs would not pop out and intrude the view area. also it gives a nice effect of variation by breaking the line and giving a larger view area on the vertical axis in the center of the screen where it counts most.  And considering the log's height is to be player customed, you can bring it at any height you want, pixel by pixel. "

• Like 1

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

" [...] the log is a bit depressed so that the conversation and fight log tabs would not pop out and intrude the view area. also it gives a nice effect of variation by breaking the line and giving a larger view area on the vertical axis in the center of the screen where it counts most.  And considering the log's height is to be player customed, you can bring it at any height you want, pixel by pixel. "

Gotcha ! 

Sorry I was a bit lazy to read all the thread.

(still think it would look nicer if all the bottom bar was a single block though :p )

Let's see first what Kaz will bring up to the table first.

Maybe we'll all be blown away and after will view this mockup as ca-ca!

original.gif

Not if they stay as adamant(sp?) as they are on using a bottom bar rather than doing what IE already showed works best, at the side :/

One question; why... after making a beautiful UI, do you want to ruin it by launching the inventory and such INSIDE the window, rather than being fullscreen in that one .GIF.

It just looks weird, a window within a window. Or am I alone on that opinion?

Lastly; would love to see a progression post, from oldest to newest UI, so I can see what progressions I like, and which I don't without having to spit through all pages. Yes, I am lazy. Though I think it would also help OE/discussion...

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Let's see first what Kaz will bring up to the table first.

Maybe we'll all be blown away and after will view this mockup as ca-ca!

original.gif

One question; why... after making a beautiful UI, do you want to ruin it by launching the inventory and such INSIDE the window, rather than being fullscreen in that one .GIF.

I don't understand what do you mean.

Please be more specific

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

chantssss.png

What is the best location for the active chants indicators?

Left of right?

chantssss.jpg

Edited by Grotesque

Please be more specific

Chanter to wizard transition from the edit chants/grimoire UI

DhNa4X.gif

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Why have a beatiful windowed UI and ruin it with popup windows inside there rather than full-screen in that window? :(

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Please be more specific

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Why have a beatiful windowed UI and ruin it with popup windows inside there rather than full-screen in that window? :(

I don't see it as a problem or ruining the main interface. They're complementing each other.

Also there are a lot of other mouse hover popping windows during gameplay that have a functional purpose.

On higher resolutions (1920 and higher) there would be a lot of dead space to fill all the view area (without redesigning from zero all the layout).

Also is nice being able to see the contour of the grimoire and chanter's scroll - gives them form and makes them palpable.

• Like 1

SUP_SUP.jpg

SUP_SUP.png

New icons for buffs and afflictions inside character portraits.

Satin drapes adorning the weapons sets.

New design for active chants indicators.

Ten spells tiers buttons, the same as the grimoire.

VifGQV.gif

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Jtp-Mw.gif

__________________________________________________________________________________________

tDyIE6.gif

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 4

New icons for buffs and afflictions inside character portraits -- Not a super huge fan of this. Icons stands out less, and they get in the way of the art.

Satin drapes adorning the weapons sets. -- Again not a super huge fan of this. This with the I/II/III/IV triangle just makes too much decoration on that area of the UI. Maybe if each drape was aligned with the triangles, instead of being placed in between, but even then I feel like that would probably be too much clutter.

New design for active chants indicators. -- Works for me. That location and design (going upwards and to the right) was my favourite.

Ten spells tiers buttons, the same as the grimoire. -- That's a yup.

VifGQV.gif

Those banners are too distracting. It gotten worse for me. 

Also I meant to say it a few days ago but I hope Obsidian manage to add a small window/bar when chanting. That way you can see what level chant the character is on.

Edited by ryukenden

It would work better if there where 4 satin drapes and they were centred directly behind the weapon set numbers, this way they would line up with the boxes below showing the equipped weapons.  In the current version the vertical line of the drape with the V shape at the centre bottom distracts the eye from the symbols between them..

. That way you can see what level chant the character is on.

But the chant level you can see here  --->

CHNT.png

It would work better if there where 4 satin drapes and they were centred directly behind the weapon set numbers, this way they would line up with the boxes below showing the equipped weapons.  In the current version the vertical line of the drape with the V shape at the centre bottom distracts the eye from the symbols between them..

I"ve made a mockup based on your feedback and also made other variations.

ENKBvd.gif

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 1

I need at least 101 votes so keep them coming ! :)

• Like 1

ENKBvd.gif

Imo A, B and I are the only ones where the drapes are not totally distracting.

Though tbh I'd probably leave them off completely.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I love the work you've done on this UI, and would love to see it in the game.

However, I can't help but ask myself, what would you come up with if you were asked to scrap it, and come up with something from scratch? I do realize this is a lot of work, but I'd love to see a "version 2", so to speak, based on what you learned crafting this.

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

What if, instead of having both the little metalwork-looking diamonds AND tiny drapes, you JUST had drapes with a triangular point at their bottom, kind of pointing downward toward each weapon set? And just put the numbers on the drapes, and have the drapes be the clickable weapon-set-selection buttons?

Just a thought. *shrug*

It seems like diamonds and drapes are competing for that space, is all.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u