My old school solid UI mock-up for Pillars of Eternity

Grotesque

dun_dun_set.jpg

someone made a mockup.  I like the second variation

What if the square was diagonally divided, with one weapon showing in the top-left corner, and one in the lower right? 'Cause, I like the second variation better, too, but I'm wondering if it might be better if the offhand item wasn't so tiny. *shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

ACTION_BARS.png

Action recovery bars integrated within the portraits

full resolution

ACTION_BARS.jpg

I'll be honest, even I am really, really starting to dig this, even if it's not L-shaped and even if I still feel space is "wasted" on the menu/formation buttons.

Might I suggest a slightly larger combat log, with the two "flaps" extending into the main viewing field? I realize that that would encroach upon the set borders intended for the main game view (for lack of a better word) but I think it would look better (and also, the log can never be big enough; I would also want it to be wider, but I don't think it can be, with this set-up).

If there's any chance this UI is actually doable, I'll be completely blown away.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

I have to say I'd prefer an UI that covers all of the screen's borders. It's obviously not optimal in terms of screen real estate use but I find it a lot more beautiful and user friendly.

• Like 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

ACTION_BARS.png

Action recovery bars integrated within the portraits

full resolution

ACTION_BARS.jpg

Just a little nitpicking - red colored health reduction progression on portraits was bottom->top in IE games, not top->bottom. 

And gold amount is in a very odd place amongst all those formation buttons, I'd like it somewhere in the lower left corner, near the quick inventory.

Otherwise, great work all around!

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

I'll be honest, even I am really, really starting to dig this, even if it's not L-shaped and even if I still feel space is "wasted" on the menu/formation buttons.

animation should have been faster; saving the GIF somewhat screwed that up

j5M4jR.gif

The final state at full resolution:

image.jpg

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 15

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

animation should have been faster; saving the GIF somewhat screwed that up

j5M4jR.gif

The final state at full resolution:

image.jpg

Dear. God. Have my babies.

• Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

You should make that proposition to the one that will mod this UI into the game :)

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 3

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

I really hope OE puts a UI like this in (even as a post release patch or maybe with the expansion). This would go LONG way at getting the "feels" in.

Let's see first what Kaz will bring up to the table first.

Maybe we'll all be blown away and after will view this mockup as ca-ca!

:)

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 2

Danielkx:

The optimal situation would be to present players with two REAL options: a minimalist ui like what is currently implemented in PoE and something more old school like this. The minimalist ui should be draggable/etc but the other would not need to be.

The last thing we have seen from OE is not a real option as far as thier old school ui. It is just an image rendered behind the minimalist ui.

• Like 2

Danielkx:

The optimal situation would be to present players with two REAL options: a minimalist ui like what is currently implemented in PoE and something more old school like this. The minimalist ui should be draggable/etc but the other would not need to be.

The last thing we have seen from OE is not a real option as far as thier old school ui. It is just an image rendered behind the minimalist ui.

The optimal situation would be to present us with a UI and then allow us to arrange the UI elements however we want.

Edit: This would also include letting us do things like separate parts of the UI from one another such as weapons sets, the "command center" thing and so on...

Edited by danielkx

The optimal situation would be to present us with a UI and then allow us to arrange the UI elements however we want.

You also want that this modular UI to look beautiful and the transition between modules to be seamless and visually pleasing?

Because some things are just like in life: you can't have all of them if you don't have lots and lots of money (& time).

Every time I check up on this thread, mockup keep getting better and better.

anyways, I think they did what they can with the given budget and time. The downside to kickstarter is that the fans money are a drop in the bucket compared to publishers, who spend at least 5 times as much.

I wonder if that deal with Paradox allowed PoE to have a larger budget than it originally had.   

You also want that this modular UI to look beautiful and the transition between modules to be seamless and visually pleasing?

Because some things are just like in life: you can't have all of them if you don't have lots and lots of money (& time).

I think your mockup looks really good and I would be more than happy to use it. I am simply curious as to whether or not it would be a possibility to move sections around, was not criticizing it.

I doubt Obisidian will ever do anything like this unfortunately. If we want it, it will be up to modders to put it in.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I doubt Obisidian will ever do anything like this unfortunately. If we want it, it will be up to modders to put it in.

Actually, they are working on it. We have yet to see the result. Adam said it would take them two weeks or something. 

Looks cool! The next challenge and suggestion would do a mockup at 1280x720 and 2560x1440 to see what it looks at low/high resolution. (We also do a 4:3 low res, but I forget the dimensions Kaz uses.) You might encounter some interesting problems. 

We won't be doing anything this substantial for our solid UI. It could be a couple of weeks of programming to implement this.

Thanks for sharing!

Is this the quote you're talking about? Because if you read it again you'll see Obsidian is not doing something like this because it would take several weeks to implement. :p

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Making a major change at this point in the development cycle is something they would likely not do.  I've worked for various game and application developers for the past 30 years (worked at Adobe before I retired), and usually at this point the code is locked down to making bug fixes only.  I think it should be left up to modders...

BTW, I take it they used Unity 3D?

They're working on a finalized solid UI. That may not be as much "like this" as you're hoping for. I'm not sure. But they're not not-working-on the UI frame. I just couldn't tell you exactly how it's going to come out. Maybe it'll be more like Grotesque's than we suspect. *Shrug*

As nice as his is, I'm not going to assume Kaz's is going to suck just because it probably won't be exactly the same.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I would like to have more faith in what Kaz is doing but what we have seen so far as far as their "solid ui" does not inspire confidence. A simple bitmap that floats behind the standard PoE UI won't be the same as the UI envisioned in this mockup.

To those that are hoping for modders to do this... heh, this looks hard to do. Unity Pro is expensive and even if there were free and ample mod tools, a brand new, quality ui that is changed to this extent is a long shot at best. If OE doesnt do this, it isnt going to get done.

• Like 2

REverse.png

The main UI reversed.

The spells/abilities buttons being most used during gameplay,  these buttons located on the left side of the screen offers better ergonomics for right hand mouse users. (?)

REverse.jpg

• Like 6