Will there be a larger range of character portraits available in the release version?

Oxford_Guy

Hi - I've only just downloaded the beta version of Pillars of Eternity, looks great, but one question - the range of character portraits that come with the game seem a bit "meh" and there seem to be big gaps for certain sex/race/class combinations - will there be a greater range in the release version of the game? I know there is support for custom character portraits, but I'd rather just be able to start off being able to pick a suitable one from the installed package. Thanks!

Approximately 12 backer portraits are in the game (according the $3k and $10k tiers). It's been a while since playing the beta, but I believe they are all in there so far.

The first is completely reasonable. I fully agree that if we're prioritizing here, we need some more Orlan portraits.

Then we were only disagreeing on details then as this was my position. I wouldn't have complained about focusing on elves if we only had like, 4 or 6 portraits of them already. I don't know how many more portraits we're getting, but I'm guessing about 5 or 6. I don't want any more them to be elves. we already got 12 of them! Although I think that male elf re-altered three times should only count as 1 so... 10. 9 If you don't count it cuz' it sucks.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

etf3X1n.jpg
"Be calm," the Catmancer purred, "The devs are aware of the issue and working on it right meow."

Honestly I liked both portraits Namutree found, they seemed to fit the style close enough for me and like he said it'll be smaller.  If I remember you used to have a fire lady looking one too, where did you get it from?

As for the remaining portraits you could probably just color swap the Aumaua portraits to have both relevant patterns, not sure if that'd be saving time but I don't think the work would be pre-paw-sterous.  I'll throw my vote in for more godlikes, really any but fire as you can find a lot of similar ones by searching for "fire genasi."  Also wild orlans.

As for the remaining familiar races I don't think you need 1 per class per race per gender, really I'd be fine with a couple per race and gender, as the classes can't look too different if you're still seeing their face.  A head and shoulders dressed in cloth on a dark background could be a rogue, monk, cipher, wizard, or any lightly armored class, and same with the hint of armor.  Not everyone is going to get their exact beard, helmet, and weapons in their portrait and that's okay for me.

• Like 2

Honestly I liked both portraits Namutree found, they seemed to fit the style close enough for me and like he said it'll be smaller.  If I remember you used to have a fire lady looking one too, where did you get it from?

FHUSO01_L.png

I got it from the "Super Ultimate Portrait Pack".

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Hi - I've only just downloaded the beta version of Pillars of Eternity, looks great, but one question - the range of character portraits that come with the game seem a bit "meh" and there seem to be big gaps for certain sex/race/class combinations - will there be a greater range in the release version of the game? I know there is support for custom character portraits, but I'd rather just be able to start off being able to pick a suitable one from the installed package. Thanks!

Approximately 12 backer portraits are in the game (according the $3k and $10k tiers). It's been a while since playing the beta, but I believe they are all in there so far.

It is possible.  I honestly hope many of the "lets make the same portrait with 3 different hair style" portraits get toss and they just make unique ones.  The portrait styles currently in game are not consistent to say the least.