Will there be a larger range of character portraits available in the release version?

Oxford_Guy

Thanks Bobby!

It's great to hear you're considering more portraits for post-release patches on top of trying to get as many as possible in for launch :D

All portraits so far look pretty rad and you can never have too many!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Nice to see more of the devs coming out of the woodwork in the past week or so - haven't heard from you Bobby since the KS :p

Glad to see that incorporeal enemies made it into the game and those incoming portraits sound good.

The 2D artists you recruited for the project have been very good hires. Hopefully future installments will also allow the time to bring back some of the luxury 2D assets that were in the Infinity Engine games (such as item sketches and things like that).

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Going through what is in the game right now, I would strongly suggest at least one more option for each godlike subrace sex (a la the fire female, which has two to pick from IIRC), especially given the fact that the hooded or helmed portraits would not suffice for godlike characters.

Suitable portrait for my dark skinned Ocean Folk character would be nice - there are about three portraits that fit Savannah (1 male, possibly usable only for monk or mage...) or Ocean Folk (1 male pirate, 1 female in armour).

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Yeh, wild orlans and ocean folk also need love. Agreed.

But why does nobody think of the children sand-skinned aumaua? ;(

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

But why does nobody think of the children sand-skinned aumaua? ;(

The currently available island aumaua portraits that we have look more like gnomes than aumaua.

Kana Rua for example, looks so much different. 

post-69985-0-24236000-1423251886_thumb.jpg

post-69985-0-62816300-1423251894_thumb.jpg

post-69985-0-19437200-1423252122_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bazy
  • Like 2

Yeah a lot of the outsourced portraits from the first beta version don't really fit with the art style of the rest (and don't look as good IMO).

I'd agree, graphics-wise they're the only thing that let the game down from what I've seen so far

• Like 1

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Honestly, I didn't even realize that those were supposed to be Aumaua until just this second.

I've harped on the importance of a seamless consistent art style before, and I can't stress enough what a huge difference it makes. If my portrait doesn't fit in next to the CNPC:s, I'm going to end up clawing my eyes out.

• Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

Honestly, I didn't even realize that those were supposed to be Aumaua until just this second.

I've harped on the importance of a seamless consistent art style before, and I can't stress enough what a huge difference it makes. If my portrait doesn't fit in next to the CNPC:s, I'm going to end up clawing my eyes out.

Same, I thought they were Orlans honestly.

I agree on consistency, it's why the Icewind Dale portraits were so awesome. They fit with the setting as well as with eachother. Baldur's Gate had consistency between the portraits as well but not quite as well matched to the setting and I preferred the IWD style. PoEs seem somewhere between the two but some of the portraits are just noticeably out of place.

• Like 1

More elves portraits! Especially females.

Why? There's a million of them on the internet already. Use some of those. We need more portraits of the unique races. I waiting for the second Aumaua female portrait, and first Wild Orlan portrait. I don't think we need female elf number 6972.

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Are the dev guys and girls thinking of implementing the "screenshot portrait" of main and companion characters at least as an option? Many people were strongly against it but I see now most complaint that there are not enough portraits - and that's reasonable. And to be honest, they could never be. Just let as pick our character's screenshot as portrait as an option, no?

Why? There's a million of them on the internet already. Use some of those. We need more portraits of the unique races. I waiting for the second Aumaua female portrait, and first Wild Orlan portrait. I don't think we need female elf number 6972.

Because those millions of elven portraits on the internet doesn't fit the art style of PoE. I'm not a fan of elves overall, but people playing them has as much of a right to get a good portrait that fits into the game as I have to get a dongheadless deathlike portrait.

With that kind of argument I could just as well tell you to just take a picture of a persian cat and superimpose over a generic halfling portrait. Boom, wild orlan! What are you complaining about, it's soooo easy to make a wild orlan portrait.

Are the dev guys and girls thinking of implementing the "screenshot portrait" of main and companion characters at least as an option? Many people were strongly against it but I see now most complaint that there are not enough portraits - and that's reasonable. And to be honest, they could never be. Just let as pick our character's screenshot as portrait as an option, no?

• Looks terrible.
  • Doesn't fit the art style and style of PoE.
  • Usable as a cop-out for shirking out on quality portraits.
  • Takes time to implement and test.
  • How about no?
Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Because those millions of elven portraits on the internet doesn't fit the art style of PoE. I'm not a fan of elves overall, but people playing them has as much of a right to get a good portrait that fits into the game as I have to get a dongheadless deathlike portrait.

With that kind of argument I could just as well tell you to just take a picture of a persian cat and superimpose over a generic halfling portrait. Boom, wild orlan! What are you complaining about, it's soooo easy to make a wild orlan portrait.

Now that's just silly. Plenty of those elf portraits would look fine compared to the other portraits. The art style PoE uses isn't exactly unique and portraits that fit the art style are as rare as lent; especially since the art style isn't all that consistent to begin with. Besides we aren't even discussing whether there should be female elf portraits; it's whether we need MORE female elf portraits. We already have a few, and we don't even have 1 Wild Orlan picture at all. 

Taking a picture of a persian cat and superimposing it over a generic halfling portrait wouldn't look even decent in-and-of itself; much less like a Wild Orlan. That's just a stupid comparison altogether.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I too had not realized those portraits were meant to be aumauas. Thought they were orlans.

Josh said Kaz would make a final pass on all portraits for consistency before release; hopefully that's still a thing.

Also: Agree 100% with Luckmann on consistency. That's the reason why I never use custom portraits in BG: They don't fit the art style of the game and stick out like a sore thumb.

Now that's just silly. Plenty of those elf portraits would look fine compared to the other portraits. The art style PoE uses isn't exactly unique and portraits that fit the art style are as rare as lent; especially since the art style isn't all that consistent to begin with. Besides we aren't even discussing whether there should be female elf portraits; it's whether we need MORE female elf portraits. We already have a few, and we don't even have 1 Wild Orlan picture at all.

Find me 1.

Taking a picture of a persian cat and superimposing it over a generic halfling portrait wouldn't look even decent in-and-of itself; much less like a Wild Orlan. That's just a stupid comparison altogether.

Much like those millions of badly drawn elfettes floating around out there.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Find me 1.

Very well. First I'll post a set of the female elves from PoE to use as a reference. (Dang, these aren't even all of them? Yeah, we don't need more when we don't even have 1 Wild Orlan.)

Wood-elf-female-portraits.jpg

Here's a portrait I found after looking for... 3 seconds.

elfguy.jpg

Just condense it a little bit and you're done.

• Like 2

Here's another:

640x800_1678_Path_to_War_2d_fantasy_warr

Again Just condense it. Heck a smaller version of this portrait is already in the "ultimate portrait pack" from sorcerers palace.

• Like 3

Honestly, if that's the best you can do, I rest my case. That looks absolutely ridiculous next to the pre-existing portraits. I must say that the glitter in the hair and the hilarious bling is just fabulous, though. :lol:

My point was more how easy female elves are to find. I wasn't being exceptionally picky. Even so, given the game's already varied portrait style it's hardly a stretch to use that one; especially once the portrait is condensed which will slightly hide the differences. At any rate, the case is hardly rest even if you do have an unreasonable standard of precisely matching an internally inconsistent art style. The fact that you can find plenty of elf portraits online was only 1 part of a larger point:

We already have plenty of elf portraits! Why do we need more as opposed to Wild Orlans or even 1 female Coastal Aumaua (The 1 we have seems to be an Island Aumaua)? This only becomes more redundant when you consider the new hooded portrait we'll be getting which will hide whether the portrait contains a human or elf. Bet it couldn't be passed as Wild Orlan or Aumaua. 

Here's another:

http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/3/640x800_1678_Path_to_War_2d_fantasy_warrior_girl_female_woman_elf_painting_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Again Just condense it. Heck a smaller version of this portrait is already in the "ultimate portrait pack" from sorcerers palace.

That's actually even worse.

My point was more how easy female elves are to find. I wasn't being exceptionally picky. Even so, given the game's already varied portrait style it's hardly a stretch to use that one; especially once the portrait is condensed which will slightly hide the differences. At any rate, the case is hardly rest even if you do have an unreasonable standard of precisely matching an internally inconsistent art style. The fact that you can find plenty of elf portraits online was only 1 part of a larger point:

We already have plenty of elf portraits! Why do we need more as opposed to Wild Orlans or even 1 female Coastal Aumaua (The 1 we have seems to be an Island Aumaua)? This only becomes more redundant when you consider the new hooded portrait we'll be getting which will hide whether the portrait contains a human or elf. Bet it couldn't be passed as Wild Orlan or Aumaua.

There's a difference between saying "Hey, there's already some elven portraits, but we could reeaaaally use some friggin' Orlans up in this brunch" (it is a well-known fact that orlans always eat brunch) and saying "We don't need elven portraits, because the internet is shock-full of portraits that sorta could arguably maybe possibly resemble the PoE artstyle a 'close enough' to be passable".

The first is completely reasonable. I fully agree that if we're prioritizing here, we need some more Orlan portraits.

But if I could choose, they should chuck out all the outsourced material and aim for those 280-or-something portraits that I'd really like to see.

t50aJUd.jpg