Will there be a larger range of character portraits available in the release version?

Oxford_Guy

Hi - I've only just downloaded the beta version of Pillars of Eternity, looks great, but one question - the range of character portraits that come with the game seem a bit "meh" and there seem to be big gaps for certain sex/race/class combinations - will there be a greater range in the release version of the game? I know there is support for custom character portraits, but I'd rather just be able to start off being able to pick a suitable one from the installed package. Thanks!

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Hi Adam,

Right now I think the sand-colored skin aumaua have no male or female portraits of any kind in the game, IIRC.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

We are working on it. :)

What class/race/gender combo do you feel is missing? I'll pass that on to the portrait artists.

Thanks!

-Adam

I would like to see some humans that don't look like spell casters or rogues.  The only male portrait that legit has on armor is for a dwarf.  Really we need more of everything.  I would say at least 2-3 more of every race male and female.  That includes the subraces and godlikes.

• Like 1

What class/race/gender combo do you feel is missing? I'll pass that on to the portrait artists.

Thanks!

-Adam

I would like to see some humans that don't look like spell casters or rogues.  The only male portrait that legit has on armor is for a dwarf.  Really we need more of everything.  I would say at least 2-3 more of every race male and female.  That includes the subraces and godlikes.

Although you are right I guess that isn't very helpful when they try to priorize what can be done in the little time left.

I guess the most helpful would be if they concentrated on portraits which you won't be able to find elsewhere in order to import them, so it would probably be best if they focused on doing more portraits for orlans, aumaua  and godlikes first of all.

You can easily find countless fantasy portraits of humans, dwarfes and elves in the internet after all (even though it would obviously be better if they were already included in a similiar art style in the game, I guess thats more efficient for having a broad variety of portraits).

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 5

Thanks!

-Adam

There is only one female Aumaua. Which I thought was a dwarf for the longest time :/

Edited by Bazy

most helpful would be if they concentrated on portraits which you won't be able to find elsewhere in order to import them, so it would probably be best if they focused on doing more portraits for orlans, aumaua  and godlikes first of all.

This makes sense to me

• Like 2

Thanks!

-Adam

a ruggedly handsome human male rogue with a distinctly native american (our family insists that we is back to saying Indian in 2015) set o' features... think Russel Means meets Arnie Becker... but built like a rugby flanker.  need one o' those.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

there is plenty o' orlan portaits available

friendly orlan

gremlins-gizmo-movie-monster.jpg

sinister orlan

movies-gremlins.jpg

problem solved.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 14

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A few more Godlike portraits would be nice, currently only female Nature and female Fire have more than one portrait. I was actually considering commissioning a portrait or two once the game was out, since customizing/changing existing pictures is gonna be a pain for some races.

• Like 1

Thanks!

-Adam

My PC is a light blue skin, green bearded, pale elf and there's nothing that comes close to it, regardless of class.

Our Godlike options are pretty limited too. There's only like one or two for each and they're fairly dramatic looking models so when they don't match well it's obvious, and many of them don't match the models much.

And there are no Wild Orlan portraits at all it seems like.

There's also an Aumaua portrait with a beard... but we can't put beards on our Aumaua character models.

Really, there's a lot of visual variety with the models, and I think the biggest concern would be for races that aren't found in other games with portraits as players will have a hard time finding alternatives. I'm going to probably be putting some old resized IE game portraits in but that will mostly only cover Human, Wood Elf and some Pale Elves, Dwarf. I think Dwarf options are limited at the moment, but I can easily amend that, but I can't do much about my green bearded elf or my moon godlike who is you know... a glowing blue guy with a bizarre horn-like growth. There's one male moon godlike portrait and it doesn't look like any of the models.

Edited by Odd Hermit
  • Like 1

Aumaua Females (There's no portrait that matches the Aumaua Female appearance, the default one isn't very good either)

Aumaua Males - maybe one more

Wild Orlans - There is none for either sex

Female Dwarves - There's one, but it looks like a human and doesn't really match the in-game appearances

Male Dwarves - Don't like the single Dwarf portrait, would prefer one based off the model appearances

Female Orlans (any) - Default one wasn't done by Kaz or Lindsey

Male Orlans (any)

Red-haired and/or black-haired females - Don't like the default side on portrait, I'd prefer a Kaz/Lindsey one

Earth Godlike female - Don't like the default, would prefer a Kaz/Lindsey one

Maybe one more Moon Godlike Female / Death Godlike Female

There's some ideas anyway

• Like 1

Another thing that'd be nice is some faceless portraits. Neverwinter Nights had some vague silhouettes, some class-related symbols, weapons, helms - or characters in full faced helms or hoods/cowls that shadow a face, etc.

For people who just can't find something for their character, a sort of placeholder may be better than getting stuck with a portrait that looks completely different from their character.

Edited by Odd Hermit
  • Like 5

Another thing that'd be nice is some faceless portraits. Neverwinter Nights had some vague silhouettes, some class-related symbols, weapons, helms - or characters in full faced helms or hoods/cowls that shadow a face, etc.

For people who just can't find something for their character, a sort of placeholder may be better than getting stuck with a portrait that looks completely different from their character.

This is something that I REALLY want. The shadowrun games and wasteland 2 also had these faceless portraits for both males and females.  It's a great choice for people who don't know what they want their character to look like, so they get to pick something that's neutral.

Aumaua Females (There's no portrait that matches the Aumaua Female appearance, the default one isn't very good either)

Female Dwarves - There's one, but it looks like a human and doesn't really match the in-game appearances

Male Dwarves - Don't like the single Dwarf portrait, would prefer one based off the model appearances

Male Orlans (any)

Red-haired and/or black-haired females - Don't like the default side on portrait, I'd prefer a Kaz/Lindsey one

I'd like a male deathlike that doesn't look like a donghead.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

Male Orlans (any)

I've been working with Kaz to organize a bunch of new portraits to get into the game before we launch, some may not make it in until the first patch. While we can't do every combo people can think up, at least not at launch, we are trying our best to get as much coverage as we can. We have a ton of WIP portraits that should really help out the overall selection when they are complete and implemented. As far as your stated ideas...

Aumaua Females - There is at least one more of these coming. It has a color variant too if memory serves.

Aumaua Males - Pretty sure we did another one, but I can't say for sure.

Wild Orlans - We have one for each coming and they both look pretty awesome.

Female Dwarves - We have one completed and two more variants scheduled.

Male Dwarves - There is a new dwarf that is pretty much finished... and he is awesome. I call him pompadwarf around the office. We have two variants scheduled.

Female Orlans - I already mentioned the wild orlan female and there is another orlan female that is pretty slick. 

Male Orlans - Can't remember if we have another orlan in the schedule other than the wild orlan male I mentioned earlier.

Red-haired and/or black-haired females - There are several female portraits coming, including new red-haired and brunette humans.

Earth Godlike female - I don't think we have a new one scheduled, I'll check.

Maybe one more Moon Godlike Female / Death Godlike Female - While not currently on the ship schedule, these are portraits I'd like to do. I'll add them to our current (giant) list, but they would be lower priority. Maybe in the expansion.

Like I said, we have a ton of portraits scheduled, and some of the ones I mentioned may not get finished in time. I am pretty confident we will get the majority of the list wrapped up. What I can say is we will have quite a bit more in the game on launch day vs. what is currently in the Backer Beta.

• Like 8

Great idea. Why isn't this more common?

As nice as the portraits are is hard to find ones that fit my custom characters.

Though, this is the kind of thing you can find elsewhere. Still probably better for them to focus on the POE unique types of portraits

Edited by Bazy

Got you covered. We have what what I call, "Mysterious Hoodie" portraits being worked on. These are Male/Female portraits with a cowl that covers most of the face so they can work for many races, but still look really cool. These are currently being worked on and are close to being complete.

Bobby Hernandez, an amazing artist I worked with on South Park, has volunteered some of his free time on the weekend to do a few armored up portraits. These guys and gals will be fully helmeted so they can be used for any race. Trust me, we're working hard to try and get as many portraits into the game for your characters. Kaz looks at me with wide eyes with all my requests and I simply reply... MOAR PORTRAITS! Kaz and the art crew have been amazing on this project and their dedication will show in the final product. 

• Like 19

Thanks!

-Adam

Think I was looking for a female eleven or human rogue in leather armour 

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Trust me, we're working hard...

This has been apparent over the last couple weeks. (I was impressed that a developer would post a new beta client at 6pm, realize it's wrong and post another one at 10pm the same night)

Also.... MOAR PORTRAITS!