Sequel to Ultima Underworld out on Kickstarter now!

A couple of things I enjoyed from visiting the site: I like the rotating lock maze idea and the in-game backer items. The graphics... well I suppose it's a prototype at this point; but there's room for improvement.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm afraid that i'll have to remain spectical, recreating Underworld seems to me an almost impossible task now, the game was so rich with content, features and depth that it makes modern 3d games still look like sparse tech demo's. The spells alone provided massive amounts of differing effects, the items and their manipulation was the equal of most modern crafting systems, the characters and their dialogues and reactions were impressively varied, while the gameworld itself was enormously reactive, detailed and full of atmosphere and narrative excellence.

Putting all of these things together, along with whatever i've forgotten, I really can't see how a modern game can compete. I will have to wait for release and reviews from trusted sources to see if it can, caveat emptor allows me to do nothing else unfortunately.

Still I wish them all the best.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm afraid that i'll have to remain spectical, recreating Underworld seems to me an almost impossible task now, the game was so rich with content, features and depth that it makes modern 3d games still look like sparse tech demo's. The spells alone provided massive amounts of differing effects, the items and their manipulation was the equal of most modern crafting systems, the characters and their dialogues and reactions were impressively varied, while the gameworld itself was enormously reactive, detailed and full of atmosphere and narrative excellence.

Putting all of these things together, along with whatever i've forgotten, I really can't see how a modern game can compete. I will have to wait for release and reviews from trusted sources to see if it can, caveat emptor allows me to do nothing else unfortunately.

Nonek that is a very negative view of this KS, I'm glad I believe in the vision of this  game and will happily back it  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nonek that is a very negative view of this KS, I'm glad I believe in the vision of this  game and will happily back it  :yes:

My view of the Kickstarter is not negative at all, and nothing that I stated even suggests as much! I just can't realistically see how a modern game can possibly match the original Underworld, the scope of games has shrunk and streamlined too much since the early nineties

Take the Labyrinth of Worlds that the second game offers, each rich, varied, reactive and sometimes massive, one can't look at modern games and ever think they'll match such a feat. Never mind the dungeons of Castle British or the Stygian Abyss itself!

Edit: I would love to be proven wrong on this, and see a resurgence of this type of quality and content rich games, but I honestly don't think most people want anything so rich and dense, or that it can be made now.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

My view of the Kickstarter is not negative at all, and nothing that I stated even suggests as much! I just can't realistically see how a modern game can possibly match the original Underworld, the scope of games has shrunk and streamlined too much since the early nineties

Take the Labyrinth of Worlds that the second game offers, each rich, varied, reactive and sometimes massive, one can't look at modern games and ever think they'll match such a feat. Never mind the dungeons of Castle British or the Stygian Abyss itself!

Edit: I would love to be proven wrong on this, and see a resurgence of this type of quality and content rich games, but I honestly don't think most people want anything so rich and dense, or that it can be made now.

I played both Ultima Underworlds but never any Ultima game. The Underworld games were indeed rich in features and Í'm confident many people would be happy with that type of game being resurrected. I do have concerns about the Devs pulling it off though

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

here's the link

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant?ref=video

you should always add the link... people are too lazy to look it up if you dont have the link :biggrin:

anyway, im broke for now so i cant back it

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

While I certainly get your optimism, BruceVC, I also get why Nonek is concerned. I actually wrote this in the comments section just now:

I agree with Mieu, Dablue and others about their emphasis on devs being active here at Kickstarter, in the comments section, in updates, and via cool vids, in a Kickstarter campaign.

And I agree with Gothmog about perhaps ditching the MP feature, and go all in on the SD features instead. You guys have a lot to live up to. A fellow forum member wrote this about the original UU:
"Recreating Underworld seems to me an almost impossible task now, the game was so rich with content, features and depth that it makes modern 3d games still look like sparse tech demo's. The spells alone provided massive amounts of differing effects, the items and their manipulation was the equal of most modern crafting systems, the characters and their dialogues and reactions were impressively varied, while the gameworld itself was enormously reactive, detailed and full of atmosphere and narrative excellence."

I also agree wholeheartedly with British:
"Regarding Co-op/MP, that would be an abberation for any kind of Underworld game. The point of the initial games was that the player was on his own, trying to get out (allow me the simplification). No sidekick (that I can remember... it's been a while) over your shoulder as you discover the places... and no need for it. Just because MP has been all the rage lately, doesn't mean it HAS to be everywhere, in whatever shape. Or maybe you also want some social network shenanigans ?"

It reflects three of the concerns that have been raised over night, and I took the liberty to use Nonek's nice post to the best effect, by bringing it straight into the lion's den. I hope he doesn't mind. :)

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

While I certainly get your optimism, BruceVC, I also get why Nonek is concerned. I actually wrote this in the comments section just now:

I agree with Mieu, Dablue and others about their emphasis on devs being active here at Kickstarter, in the comments section, in updates, and via cool vids, in a Kickstarter campaign.

And I agree with Gothmog about perhaps ditching the MP feature, and go all in on the SD features instead. You guys have a lot to live up to. A fellow forum member wrote this about the original UU:

"Recreating Underworld seems to me an almost impossible task now, the game was so rich with content, features and depth that it makes modern 3d games still look like sparse tech demo's. The spells alone provided massive amounts of differing effects, the items and their manipulation was the equal of most modern crafting systems, the characters and their dialogues and reactions were impressively varied, while the gameworld itself was enormously reactive, detailed and full of atmosphere and narrative excellence."

I also agree wholeheartedly with British:

"Regarding Co-op/MP, that would be an abberation for any kind of Underworld game. The point of the initial games was that the player was on his own, trying to get out (allow me the simplification). No sidekick (that I can remember... it's been a while) over your shoulder as you discover the places... and no need for it. Just because MP has been all the rage lately, doesn't mean it HAS to be everywhere, in whatever shape. Or maybe you also want some social network shenanigans ?"

It reflects three of the concerns that have been raised over night, and I took the liberty to use Nonek's nice post to the best effect, by bringing it straight into the lion's den. I hope he doesn't mind. :)

Fair enough, those are valid concerns. I also don't want them to implement MP, I feel it would indeed dilute the UU experience  :blink:

John Milton 

I will happily back it, but I do have to admit that UU was never my cup of tea. But it's a cup of tea that I respect and admire both as a genre pioneer and huge technical achievement. It's easy to forget that UU predated the comparatively primitive Wolfenstein 3D, despite all the kudos the latter title tends to receive.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I would also love to see some new Ultima magic that's not an MMORPG...

But personally, I'm more interested in the other Ultima kickstarter: Shroud of the Avatar.

"We’re especially excited to reveal that, just as the original Ultima and Underworld shared a connection on backstory and fictional elements, so too will Shroud of the Avatar and Underworld Ascendant. There is a portal between the two worlds, which over the ages travelers have crossed, some bringing with them artifacts and arcane lore."

• Like 1

Battlemage of The Obsidian Order|WoOS's|AoUA|BoSB & Knight of the Lily
51f51855-1d80-4893-b580-1894e7e77c20_zps

Currently playing Torment:Tides of Numenera & Reading Neverwinter Saga Gauntlgrym

I would also love to see some new Ultima magic that's not an MMORPG...

But personally, I'm more interested in the other Ultima kickstarter: Shroud of the Avatar.

"We’re especially excited to reveal that, just as the original Ultima and Underworld shared a connection on backstory and fictional elements, so too will Shroud of the Avatar and Underworld Ascendant. There is a portal between the two worlds, which over the ages travelers have crossed, some bringing with them artifacts and arcane lore."

Thats actually a cool concept, a portal between the two game worlds. I approve   :thumbsup:

John Milton 

I played both Ultima Underworlds but never any Ultima game. The Underworld games were indeed rich in features and Í'm confident many people would be happy with that type of game being resurrected. I do have concerns about the Devs pulling it off though

Are you hoping for emergent romances? :p

• Like 2

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I think they're not communicative enough currently. While the "StarCitizen" video provided some more insight, including a surprisingly down to earth Garriott, I'm not sure they'll make it if they continue in the current style.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

To be honest, I'm pretty underwhelmed by this.  I'll keep an eye on it, maybe a future update will convince me, but, as it stands, I'll pass and see what it looks like when it comes out.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

To be honest, I'm pretty underwhelmed by this.  I'll keep an eye on it, maybe a future update will convince me, but, as it stands, I'll pass and see what it looks like when it comes out.

They really only have "LOOK AT US" right now.

EA still owns the Ultima registered trademark. 

Be careful: you do not want to kickstart an EA project.  EA has been talking forever about finding some way to get money from consumers to kickstart their products.  As if EA has not already ripped off people enough already,  The thought of giving money to a Kickstarter that benefits EA makes me want to vomit.

Edited by ktchong

Be careful: you do not want to kickstart an EA project.  EA has been talking forever about finding some way to get money from consumers to kickstart their products.  As if EA has not already ripped off people enough already,  The thought of giving money to a Kickstarter that benefits EA makes me want to vomit.

Are you suggesting that this is an EA project? If not, then your opinion doesn't seem relevant.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This is not an EA Kickstarter.

Might & Magic X was pretty much crowdfunded, despite the developer being under the wings of Ubisoft, and it turned out to be a great choice for all parties involved, including the gamers.  If EA was behind a developer looking to kickstart a new and interesting game design, I don't see why that would stop me.  It gives us a chance to see good studios branch out in different directions.

Are you suggesting that this is an EA project? If not, then your opinion doesn't seem relevant.

Then it is NOT actually a "sequel" to Ultima Underworld, because EA still holds the trademark for Ultima.  Whoever is making this "sequel" cannot just use the Ultima name without EA's explicit permission or authorization.  And EA, being as they are, certainly ain't gonna let some Kickstarter use the Ultima brand without monetary compensation.  Which means if it is an "Ultima" Underworld, then EA is getting involved and getting a cut.    This is legal common sense, and I do not know rjshae could be so ignorant and/or stupid about it. 

Or, the topic title or the Kickstarter title is misleading: the Kickstarter  is NOT for an actual Ultima Underworld sequel; it is more of a "spiritual" successor to Ultima Underworld. In which case, we already had at least one spiritual successor: Arx Fatalis.  (Which was a pretty darn good one.)  Okay, so it is another spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld.  Yeah, whoopie.  Whatever.

Of, the Kickstarter will go ahead and call it an Ultima Underworld sequel without getting the permission from EA.  In which case, the project will get a cease and desist letter from EA lawyers soon, and then the project will be dead, or forced to drop the Ultima name, or forced to let EA in on the Kickstarter.  So we're back to my original point.  Then again, it is nott a bad way to rip off people like rishae: get his money first, and then tell him, "oh, we're sorry, EA lawyers tell us that we have to stop the development, but we're keeping the Kickstarter money!"  Maybe that *is* the plan.

Might & Magic X was pretty much crowdfunded, despite the developer being under the wings of Ubisoft, and it turned out to be a great choice for all parties involved, including the gamers.  If EA was behind a developer looking to kickstart a new and interesting game design, I don't see why that would stop me.  It gives us a chance to see good studios branch out in different directions.

Ubisoft owns the Might & Magic trademark.  And guess what?  Ubisoft was involved with Might & Magic X.  Ubisoft is the publisher.  Might & Magic X requires UPlay activation. 

BTW, I looked through the Might & Magic X wiki page on information about its development, and it does not say anything M&M X being a crowd-funded project.  I do not think it is.  I know Ubisoft partially if not entirely funded the game.  Where did you get the information that M&M X was crowd-funded?

Edited by ktchong