Pillars of Eternity main theme (orchestral version)

I *think* there was an option to tick a Dev commentary box added in one of the latest backer betas so I'm guessing the commentary will then play when you enter certain areas and such. Just a guess though.

Then there's the separate documentary also of course.

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It's official: Justin Bell likes us.

I'll have to wait and hear the whole soundtrack implemented into the game in its finished state (and how it interacts with varoius scenes and environments), but it sounds pretty good so far.
Thank you for sharing your iterations on the main theme and keep up the good work.

Edited by Gorbag
  • Like 1

Nothing gold can stay.

Curious if there are any vocals in the soundtrack, i.e., Gregorian style chants or background vocals?

Hah! Was just about to ask the same thing, it's my favourite part of the BG and IWD themes, also what made Huncheback my fav Disney movie.

I did like the theme though, but as some have said, it might not have the "impact" that some of the other themes have, the sole reason I enjoy BG1 over BG2 (themes) is because the first one doesn't have the slow part at then end. Pure power and no rest.

After listening to it a couple more times, it actually reminds me a little of Torment, more positive and with some hope, but the same kind of low end theme. And Torment's theme fit perfectly. I'm looking forward to see how this one fits to the game ^^, it's already growing on me.

Edited by kat7ra
  • Like 1

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

Justin, may I ask what speakers, amps/dacs, and headphones you use when mixing?

Edited by mstark
  • Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

There is truth in this, it would be a nice music to listen to while in character creation. But I still think it has to have a stronger beginning.

Hmmm.... No comment :)  I'll just say I think you're going to like what you hear then.

Justin, I'm confused by the work on the video vs the kickstarter goal to have a developers commentary. Is the commentary like an audio file that we can play as we go through the game, sort of like a dvd commentary by the director? Are there unlockables in the game such as audio or art, or how is the extra goodies being handled? I mean I know the soundtrack is separate, but wasn't sure how you guys are planning on implementing the dev stuff.

They are going to be objects in the world that you purposefully interact with.

How much percussion was used? ;)

negativeman.png

Just the right amount! :p

After listening to it a couple more times, it actually reminds me a little of Torment, more positive and with some hope, but the same kind of low end theme. And Torment's theme fit perfectly. I'm looking forward to see how this one fits to the game ^^, it's already growing on me.

That was the idea yeah.  My first draft was on the heavier side, and so I started from scratch and ended up with what you hear now.  I like the positive and hopeful feelings it has.  It really matches more with this concept of the game http://bit.ly/1Ffy6Dq than it does with this one http://bit.ly/1CBTPY2

Justin, may I ask what speakers, amps/dacs, and headphones you use when mixing?

I use an RME AIO my interface.  That goes AES out to a Lavry Blue AD/DA.  Speakers are Mackie HR 824 mk2s.

Oooh, and will there be an extended version of the theme?

Kind of ;)  I don't want to spoil too much

• Like 7

I like it.

I don't get the people saying there is no melody. The first part is almost 100% melody. Literally just a melody on the winds with almost nothing in the background, just a few string plucks.

It's fine if you don't like it, but to say there isn't a melody, I can't understand that at all.

• Like 2

There is truth in this, it would be a nice music to listen to while in character creation. But I still think it has to have a stronger beginning.

Hmmm.... No comment :)  I'll just say I think you're going to like what you hear then.

Wait, so this won't be the menu music, rather this plus something else? All I can think of that could be added is voice and I don't think menus need voiceovers. ;)

It is a nice piece of music on its own, but I have to be honest Justin, it is not like a main theme in its current form. This is fitting for an ingame music, where it has time to build up. A main theme has to have more impact IMO. You only hear it in the main menu I assume, so people will only listen on it once or twice, and many of them only listens the beginning. It has to have more oomph right from the start.

I agree and that's pretty much what I was saying on the first page in the thread...the track is great...just not as a main theme IMO. Which is why I said I like more pep in the step of the BG style intros.

Seems that a few people like it mellow as well so not everyone is going to like everything and Justin is brave/man/crazy enough to hang around here and take the praise as well as the critiques so I give him much respect for that! He takes it all so well and we appreciate the back and forth no doubt.

How much percussion was used? ;)

negativeman.png

Just the right amount! :p

I think Christopher Walken would argue that there's a missing element.

Sorry.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I think Christopher Walken would argue that there's a missing element.

Sorry.

A prescription for his fever, perchance? :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Have to agree with the people saying this is a great ingame area-track, but definitely lacks remembrance as main theme.

Just those chills, hearing Unreal Tournament, or Deus Ex, or any of those games with a legendary theme as you first open them is just... lacking here.

And for people wanting rest during character creation, there's no reason why it can't be a different (more ambient) music there.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I'm probably alone in this, but I found most main themes in video games fairly uninspiring (and even annoying). This goes for Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex, you name it.

A more mellow option is in my opinion just right. More epic/heroic music should be reserved for important scenes, not for menu. 

• Like 1

It's very interesting to hear all of your responses.  What I've done is create something that works against tradition and therefore some of your expectations.  There are other amazing themes that don't come out of the gate swinging with the big percussion and brass.  Morrowind has one of the greatest themes of all times imho, and it starts off low and slow.  What about Final Fantasy?  Just a solo arpeggiated harp, but it's a classic.

I think though that its a given that some will like it and others won't.  It's music after all, very few music is universally enjoyed!  Here's my guess, some of you are going to play a lot of Pillars of Eternity.  Hundreds of hours with multiple play throughs.   Out of those who don't think the theme is thematic enough, about half of you are going to change your mind because you won't be able to disassociate the theme from your experience playing the game.  

Only time will tell, right?  And that time is right around the corner!

• Like 11

It's very interesting to hear all of your responses.  What I've done is create something that works against tradition and therefore some of your expectations.  There are other amazing themes that don't come out of the gate swinging with the big percussion and brass.  Morrowind has one of the greatest themes of all times imho, and it starts off low and slow.  What about Final Fantasy?  Just a solo arpeggiated harp, but it's a classic.

I think though that its a given that some will like it and others won't.  It's music after all, very few music is universally enjoyed!  Here's my guess, some of you are going to play a lot of Pillars of Eternity.  Hundreds of hours with multiple play throughs.   Out of those who don't think the theme is thematic enough, about half of you are going to change your mind because you won't be able to disassociate the theme from your experience playing the game.  

I would say that themes that come out of the gate swinging can become tiresome in later date even if you love them first, like for example I loved Dragon Age: Origins theme when I heard it first time, but know it is bit tiring. Where some themes don't impress me much when I hear them first but latter after constant hearing they become some of my favorite themes of all time, like for example Civilization 4's theme.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 2

I would say that themes that come out of the gate swinging can become tiresome in later date even if you love them first, like for example I loved Dragon Age: Origins theme when I heard it first time, but know it is bit tiring. Where some themes don't impress me much when I hear them first but latter after constant hearing they become some of my favorite themes of all time, like for example Civilization 4's theme.

Yup. Civ IV's theme song, Baba Yetu, is brilliant.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I have to say that all of the music i've heard so far, the Main Theme, Dyrford Village and Dirge of Eir Glanfath etcetera have not grabbed me straight away. They have grown on me and become more enjoyable and well liked with repeated listening, which speaks to their benefit in my personal opinion.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Every theme I can remember started off seeming quite mellow and uninspiring. Take the LOTR theme tune, its well put together and has a nice melody but isn't necessarily revolutionary. However, I know exactly what is going on when I hear it and I can hum that tune no issues. I think the PoE tune will fall into this bracket.

In contrast, the song played on the Two Towers trailer is EPIC (something by Clint Mansell I believe) but I tired of it very quickly after thinking it was the greatest tune ever.

Edited by BlueLion
  • Like 2

Just listened to Baldur's Gate 2 main theme 5 times in a row, and it sends me a shiver down my spine in the first 30 seconds, god...so beautiful.

Nevertheless, Justin did a great job with PoE's theme and it really grows on you throughout the 2 minutes and the climax at the end is beautiful.

The theme of Infinity Engine games should put you into "I'm going on an epic adventure" mood and Justin definitely succeeded in that.

• Like 2

Calibrating...

It's very interesting to hear all of your responses. What I've done is create something that works against tradition and therefore some of your expectations. There are other amazing themes that don't come out of the gate swinging with the big percussion and brass. Morrowind has one of the greatest themes of all times imho, and it starts off low and slow. What about Final Fantasy? Just a solo arpeggiated harp, but it's a classic.

I think though that its a given that some will like it and others won't. It's music after all, very few music is universally enjoyed! Here's my guess, some of you are going to play a lot of Pillars of Eternity. Hundreds of hours with multiple play throughs. Out of those who don't think the theme is thematic enough, about half of you are going to change your mind because you won't be able to disassociate the theme from your experience playing the game.

Only time will tell, right? And that time is right around the corner!

IMHO I love every track of Morrowind and the first time I listened to it, I got heavy vibes that I was listening to a more "civilization" Morrowind theme music. While Morrowind gives the feeling that ur going to travel wilderness, this gives off the same impression and vibe but with a feel that there's civilization where we are going to, places that are somewhat modern. I loved Jeremy's work in that game and this just gives me the same chills and vibes, BUT as something new and different.

Bravo sir! This is a work of art and I LOVE it! Tyvm

• Like 1