Pillars of Eternity main theme (orchestral version)

Added that the mixing is not final in this version to the youtube description. Hope you didn't mind I threw it up on youtube Justin!

Absolutely not, I'm humbled and honored thank you for doing it!

Since you're in here monitoring, I just have to crawl out of the woodwork and tell you that this is a really awesome piece. Since you're obviously still tweaking, I can't wait to hear the final cut.

Really, this is awesome. I love the switchover at 1:11, it flows nicely even when it's a stark cut with contrast. If I close my eyes, I can almost feel myself floating over the treetops and looking to the horizon or diving in amongst the trees, flowing down like a creek from the mountains.

Thank you!  You know what?  That's exactly one of the things I pictured when I was writing it too :)  If you want to know the concept behind it I'd be happy to get into greater detail.

how much music is in game vs what what will be on the soundtrack? How large was the orchestra for the biggest piece you wrote? you did a pretty good job combining the sections. I can't tell what was ensemble vs solo sessions. :)

We're still finalizing the soundtrack, so it's hard to say exactly at this point.  We're looking into doing something special, but we have no definitive plans yet.

We recorded with East Connection in Budapest, it was a 60 piece orchestra. 

Can we have a preview of some battle tracks? The one on last Pax was pretty epic

Hmmmm... Part of me wants to say "yes", but...  I almost don't want to spoil the fun :)  Let it be a surprise!

• Like 9

are there companion themes like some jrpgs have? And I've tried asking the next question about 7 times and I can't get it out without involving mentioning story elements that are gonna be spoilers, so I'll just pass. But you asked the fella above if we wanted to know more about it in detail and I would when you have time. 

I had a few thing's if you have time to put in for sound design I'd like to have in game. Can we have minor and major impact hit's for enemy's, or some kind of critical attack sound such as a victory yell such as ROAAAR or "uh oh, you shouldn't have done that! or 'That was a mistake!'" Or maybe it could be as simple as a laugh or devious laugh for example.

Does the trunk sound in the pax sound like that the whole game? It was a bit too loud. I love the idea of that sound, but it was a tad too much. I don't know who handles that stuff between you and the programmers. Sometimes there's a audio programmer on these things and sometimes it's just one audio guy. Do items like the leather sound like leather when you pick them up and set them down in the inventory and chain sound like chain, or is it a general sound for everything? 

• Like 1

I'm flying over sunlit, grassy hills and forests, at dizzying speeds, on a crisp, early summer morning.

The air smells of sun rays and woodland.

I'm flying.

That's kinda awesome.

• Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

are there companion themes like some jrpgs have? And I've tried asking the next question about 7 times and I can't get it out without involving mentioning story elements that are gonna be spoilers, so I'll just pass. But you asked the fella above if we wanted to know more about it in detail and I would when you have time. 

I had a few thing's if you have time to put in for sound design I'd like to have in game. Can we have minor and major impact hit's for enemy's, or some kind of critical attack sound such as a victory yell such as ROAAAR or "uh oh, you shouldn't have done that! or 'That was a mistake!'" Or maybe it could be as simple as a laugh or devious laugh for example.

Does the trunk sound in the pax sound like that the whole game? It was a bit too loud. I love the idea of that sound, but it was a tad too much. I don't know who handles that stuff between you and the programmers. Sometimes there's a audio programmer on these things and sometimes it's just one audio guy. Do items like the leather sound like leather when you pick them up and set them down in the inventory and chain sound like chain, or is it a general sound for everything? 

There are one or two recurring themes yes.  

The main theme is about the people, cultures and history of the world of Pillars of Eternity.  It's a story about the people and the beauty, suffering, sorrow, joy, tragedy, etc. of their lives, past present and future.

Regarding the creature sounds, we might not be able to pull that off for this game unfortunately, though I really like the idea.  Maybe for Eternity 2? :)

The audio mix in the PAX panel had lots of problems.  The end result will sound more appropriate, everything will feel like it's where it belongs volume wise.  We do have different loot pickup/drop inventory sounds, similar to the way Diablo does it...

• Like 3

We do have different loot pickup/drop inventory sounds, similar to the way Diablo does it...

Though not a necessity, that actually adds a nice bit of tactility to something as simple as looting. Kinda anchors you in the game world when it comes to item interaction, since you get a feel of things being hefted/bumping into other things, rather than just "I clicked a button and variable values are moving from not-in-my-inventory code to in-my-inventory code." :)

It was especially satisfying, in the Diablo games, to hear a gemstone drop from a foe, for example. Not that I'm suggesting we get tiny-cyclone sounds for weapons falling to the ground, and treasure sounds every time we kill something and it drops so much as a coin. But just, it was pleasant to hear that sound for that item.

"What's that sound? I think it's... VALUE!"

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Justin:

If you can find the time after the release party and the following hangover, I would *love* to see an article where you speak your mind about each track, telling us how you came to write them, what inspired you, how you find them successful (or not).

I’m thinking about something similar to what Matt Uelmen did for the Diablo II soundtrack there:

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Sound

I understand I’m asking you for more work, none the less for free, but the article I linked here was a very interesting reading about a soundtrack I love.

Edited by vv221
  • Like 6

Justin:

If you can find the time after the release party and the following hangover, I would *love* to see an article where you speak your mind about each track, telling us how you came to write them, what inspired you, how you find them successful (or not).

I’m thinking about something similar to what Matt Uelmen did for the Diablo II soundtrack there:

I understand I’m asking you for more work, none the less for free, but the article I linked here was a very interesting reading about a soundtrack I love.

Good idea!  I guess if there's enough demand for that we might be able to accommodate :)

• Like 14

Justin:

Good idea!  I guess if there's enough demand for that we might be able to accommodate original.gif

Nice to know you’re open to the idea wink.png

This kind of journey into the composer mind is something that truly adds to the way you enjoy a good soundtrack.

Justin:

Good idea! I guess if there's enough demand for that we might be able to accommodate :)

I too would love to see this. Your soundtrack is really nice :)

• Like 1

Curious if there are any vocals in the soundtrack, i.e., Gregorian style chants or background vocals?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It is a nice piece of music on its own, but I have to be honest Justin, it is not like a main theme in its current form. This is fitting for an ingame music, where it has time to build up. A main theme has to have more impact IMO. You only hear it in the main menu I assume, so people will only listen on it once or twice, and many of them only listens the beginning. It has to have more oomph right from the start.

Edited by Zack Fair
  • Like 6

J_C from Codexia

It is a nice piece of music on its own, but I have to be honest Justin, it is not like a main theme in its current form. This is fitting for an ingame music, where it has time to build up. A main theme has to have more impact IMO. You only hear it in the main menu I assume, so people will only listen on it once or twice, and many of them only listens the beginning. It has to have more oomph right from the start.

Fair enough, and I do agree actually.  There's something that will be in the final game that will balance that concern out quit nicely I think!  Can't wait for you guys to experience it.

• Like 11

I disagree. I really like the idea of starting up the game and going through character creation with this. Now, to be sure, this requires that the game actually keeps playing this when going from the starting menu to character creation, which I just realized it may not, but I much prefer it to the ear-grating bombastic nature of the BG2 theme that hits you when booting up.

I'd rather have something nice to listen to that lulls me into the game during my initial forays into the game, and then stays calmly out of the way when I feel like I'm just in a hurry to load my game or whatever.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I disagree. I really like the idea of starting up the game and going through character creation with this. Now, to be sure, this requires that the game actually keeps playing this when going from the starting menu to character creation, which I just realized it may not, but I much prefer it to the ear-grating bombastic nature of the BG2 theme that hits you when booting up.

I'd rather have something nice to listen to that lulls me into the game during my initial forays into the game, and then stays calmly out of the way when I feel like I'm just in a hurry to load my game or whatever.

That was the idea yes.  It's a different approach to be sure, but I think it works well.  It grows on you too!  I hear people humming the theme in the halls at work, for better or worse that's a good sign at least.

• Like 4

Fair enough, and I do agree actually.  There's something that will be in the final game that will balance that concern out quit nicely I think!  Can't wait for you guys to experience it.

Great. Can't wait to hear the final version in the game. 

It is a nice piece of music on its own, but I have to be honest Justin, it is not like a main theme in its current form. This is fitting for an ingame music, where it has time to build up. A main theme has to have more impact IMO. You only hear it in the main menu I assume, so people will only listen on it once or twice, and many of them only listens the beginning. It has to have more oomph right from the start.

There is truth in this, it would be a nice music to listen to while in character creation. But I still think it has to have a stronger beginning.

Edited by Zack Fair

J_C from Codexia

Justin, I'm confused by the work on the video vs the kickstarter goal to have a developers commentary. Is the commentary like an audio file that we can play as we go through the game, sort of like a dvd commentary by the director? Are there unlockables in the game such as audio or art, or how is the extra goodies being handled? I mean I know the soundtrack is separate, but wasn't sure how you guys are planning on implementing the dev stuff.