Pillars of Eternity main theme (orchestral version)

If Justin reads this topic: Hey man, how does it feel that your score is played by an orchestra? Pretty rad, eh? ;)

• Like 3

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Very good, the opening reminds one of Father Gabriel playing atop Iguazu Falls in the Mission.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

there's several brilliant measures in this! I feel like the strings are a bit thin, maybe it was the cello, but overall this is probably very well done for the tone and environment they've created.

actually, after listening to it on proper headphones it's much better. 

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

A fantastic piece! I love this new clean, almost bare-bone orchestral recording, where the vibrant instruments almost tell us a story in a foreign language - that's especially true in the soloish sections. :)

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It does a nice job of setting the tone. I listen to a whole playthrough of the theme before I start a new game.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

This one might have to grow on me. I think it could work great in setting the atmosphere for some area in the game, but as a main theme? I don't know, I don't recognise any parts yet that I might find myself whistling along with soon :) It sounds a bit generic to me even. RPGs such as BG1 & 2, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age: Origins do have theme music with a very clear identity. But like I said, maybe it still has to grow on me and I certainly would not call it bad music or anything.

• Like 2

This one might have to grow on me. I think it could work great in setting the atmosphere for some area in the game, but as a main theme? I don't know, I don't recognise any parts yet that I might find myself whistling along with soon :) It sounds a bit generic to me even. RPGs such as BG1 & 2, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age: Origins do have theme music with a very clear identity. But like I said, maybe it still has to grow on me and I certainly would not call it bad music or anything.

Agreed! such RPGs (even DA:Inquisition, King Bounty, Amalur) have a really powerful main theme that identifies almost istantly the game.

One of (if not) the best example of this is the first Diablo and its main theme known as "Tristram".

Older examples are SuperMario or Tetris

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

I feel the same way honestly...it sounds like enter any village type of music to me and not the main theme of an epic-length RPG. BG1 was my favorite from the IE games so I guess I admit I like it to have more pep in it's step so to speak. Good track though.

Edited by GreyFox

Listening again one can most certainly hear the Poledouris influence towards the latter half, rather mournful but quite charming.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

there's several brilliant measures in this! I feel like the strings are a bit thin, maybe it was the cello, but overall this is probably very well done for the tone and environment they've created.

actually, after listening to it on proper headphones it's much better. 

They are a bit thin though, you're right.  I was too aggressive cutting the low end with this particular mix.  It's since been restored!

• Like 10

Great! So are ya saying the stuff linked is not the current version you have created? I don't know if you're already doing it, but one of the thing's I had heard through a live stream that I think would benefit the mixes for the combat music is if you ease in and out of the music more gradually to assist in transitioning to other music. Also, I hope there's a section in the dev commentary you were able to discuss your process for that section or something along those lines. I hope you get a chance to spend in game and hear it all coming together now! hi5 :)

Great! So are ya saying the stuff linked is not the current version you have created? I don't know if you're already doing it, but one of the thing's I had heard through a live stream that I think would benefit the mixes for the combat music is if you ease in and out of the music more gradually to assist in transitioning to other music. Also, I hope there's a section in the dev commentary you were able to discuss your process for that section or something along those lines. I hope you get a chance to spend in game and hear it all coming together now! hi5 :)

I just exported a more current version yesterday in fact, sounds fuller and richer.  

• Like 6

Since you're in here monitoring, I just have to crawl out of the woodwork and tell you that this is a really awesome piece. Since you're obviously still tweaking, I can't wait to hear the final cut.

Really, this is awesome. I love the switchover at 1:11, it flows nicely even when it's a stark cut with contrast. If I close my eyes, I can almost feel myself floating over the treetops and looking to the horizon or diving in amongst the trees, flowing down like a creek from the mountains.

t50aJUd.jpg