Backer Beta Build 435 is Live!

BAdler

So, to clarify, the combat only abilities are there because the programming side is too tricky for the time available?

Yeah, pretty much. There are some other reasons too - like solving the issue with per encounter abilities outside of combat. 

Okay, thanks for that. Seems like you guys agree with us and its more an issue with how best to integrate.

Adam,

If it is mostly a matter of time, is there any chance a post-release patch could get rid of combat-only?

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hy Adam, sorry for nagging again, but it can't be a programming problem to allow shapeshift of the druid to work outside of battle?... at least i don't see where the Problem would be, as shapeshift only does minor attribute changes to the character and got a timelimit (for what reason ever)...

so if i get it right: most problems with combat only came from the decissions with per rest and per encounter abilitys, and these "problems" came from the decission of how to handle rest/sleep (camping supplies limit)???

Edited by gnoemli

Is this really the last patch before live? I wonder how their white board looks like. Are you guys making a dent in the bug reports? Do you give your staff a day to ever work on one thing in game they want to vs stuff they are told to do? I almost got a job at 38 studios right before they went bankrupt and that was one of the things they did there that was really great everyone was talking about. Great work so far, and really thanks for staying in the loop with us and listening to feedback and we can tell you're working hard. Here's wishing everyone many productive days. 

• When characters are given a movement command they all begin running in unison, perfectly synced.

This one is quite funny, as if they're competing for an Olympic synchronised adventuring trophy...

• Like 5

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

• When characters are given a movement command they all begin running in unison, perfectly synced.

This one is quite funny, as if they're competing for an Olympic synchronised adventuring trophy...

Though I don't think the solution of the Infinity Engine games (waiting a random amount of time before starting to move) is great, either.

The problem is that when you want your character to run a zig zag route or "circle" or whatever, each time you give a new movement command in order to change direction, the character will stop and stand still for a while, which is both annoying and can be a disadvantage when trying to outrun enemies.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I don't see it as a problem that you are at a slight disadvantage as you zig-zag or run around like crazy. Most people don't turn in a penny.

Something that might be fun would be to actually tie it to the Athletics Skill. The higher Athletics, the lower this already extremely minute hiccup would be, and since it's unlikely that two persons would have the exact same Athletics (bar Adventurer's Hall clones with 0 or something) you'd avoid the army of clones visual.

Really, in the IE games, you never really were at a disadvantage due to this really, really, really minor thing. It's hardly noticeable, yet the visual effect is invaluable.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...