Backer Beta Build 435 is Live!

BAdler

Hey, everyone. A new backer beta build is live on all three platforms.

Our major focus over the past few weeks was reducing in-game memory usage and other optimizations. We are still optimizing, but things are coming along nicely.

You will also notice that Josh has been doing lots of balancing throughout various systems in the game. For example, traps should be extremely deadly now. If you weren't on the lookout before, you should be.

Hope you enjoy the fixes.

-Brandon

Fixed Issues:

• Players can no longer move around with 0 health.
  • Capes no longer clip with armor on the character's model.
  • Hired adventurers no longer spawn inside of one of your characters.
  • Mods and Enchants that affect accuracy are now showing in the character sheet and inventory calculations.
  • The stash interface in shop UI was converted to the same page system that the stash uses otherwise.
  • Transition icons that are hidden to the user no longer become visible and usable after save/load.
  • If you convince Medreth and his party to leave the Boar Companion will now follow.
  • The displayed Accuracy value should now properly reflect the bonus granted by wielding a 1-handed weapon with no offhand equipment.
  • Offhand weapon accuracy no longer overwrites base accuracy.
  • The Bronze Beneath the Lake - Cladhaliath spear is no longer invisible in-game.
  • Boar Companion from Medreth's party no longer appears on every map if you save/load in Dyrford Village.
  • Mods for an attack are no longer duplicated if a character is stopped from completing an attack action.
  • Combat Music is now playing properly.
  • Memory usage no longer increases by 300-800MB after 1-2 save/loads or transitions.
  • Save files no longer become unreadable if PC loses power supply while the game is running.
  • Item tooltips often appear in front of the inventory and loot UI.
  • Distortion type FX no longer make UI elements disappear.
  • Spells and abilities are now changing the cursor state after use or when the user attempts to cancel the action.
  • Any Mods on acquired items now properly function after save/load
  • Missing male Godlike heads have returned.
  • Dexterity affects action speed now.
  • Visual elements and animated VFX on the action bar and character portraits are now properly hidden when Inventory/Character sheet are opened.
  • Art for scouting mode now aligns with selection circles.
  • Now able to open trapped containers after discovering the trap.
  • Difficulty changes take effect immediately now.
  • On death load now functions if an entire party is knocked out while one party member is dominated.
  • Best of weapons are now correctly displaying the damage type that they are using in the combat log.
  • "Trap Triggered!" barks no longer last a long time.           
  • Crash when running public backer beta on Mac OSX Yosemite has been fixed.
  • Knock Down no longer becomes stuck in the "already activated" state if the target is gibbed before Knock Down resolves.
  • Abilities with very long descriptions are easier to read in character creation and level up.
  • AI will no longer move into standard range if they are commanded to cast at a distant target despite Perception range bonus.
  • Now able to equip shields in your right hand.
  • Paladin's description is no longer missing the word "Health" after x5.
  • The client no longer loads in paused if you save a paused game, close the client, and loading that game via the front end continue button.
  • Wizard's grimoire no longer appears in character's offhand while some types of weapons are equipped. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • Time stamp text size on saved games is now larger. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • Items held by NPCs in fog can now be perceived correctly. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • Abilities shown in character creation, below the Class banner, no longer display "Right-Click for details" in their tooltip descriptions. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • Double clicking sound effect is no longer present when users press buttons in game menus. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • If the Ranger or their Companion are knocked out near an enemy while the other is far away, they will no longer repeatedly fall unconscious. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • If you hire an adventurer when you have a full party, the adventurer will no longer be made with no items. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • Mip settings have been adjusted to complement our default zoom ranges. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • Knock Down now has the same range as standard melee. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • The "Next Tab" keybinding is no longer hard coded to the Tab key. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • If Knock Down was used to start a fight with a friendly target, they were not knocked prone. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • Hiring a 7th Party member and removing a BB Companion caused transitions to break progression. This should no longer be the case. - NEEDS VERIFICATION
  • Ranges for Miss/Graze/Hit/Crit were off by one number. - NEEDS VERIFICATION

Known Issues:

• Save/Load Menu should be organized by date created, not alphabetical.
  • The Bloody Slaughter talent does not have a description in the Level Up screen.
  • Brilliant Radiance is causing too much damage.
  • Culture Bonuses applied before selection.
  • Character shadows on the East and West sides of Dyrford Village disappear after Save/Load.
  • Hovering over hidden objects (either hidden containers or traps) causes the default cursor to appear.
  • Container UI placement/panning limits allow the interface to appear offscreen in higher resolutions.
  • Passive (White) text in the Combat Log is showing decimal numbers as zero.
  • Stormwall Gorge displays lines on the left and right side of the Area Map that show through the Fog of War.
  • Wizards are not holding their grimoire in character creation.
  • Abilities on the action bar are being duplicated when a hotkey is applied to them.
  • Animals and Critters (such as Deer) should run away from the party.
  • Unable to inspect spells that are greyed out in a Grimoire.
  • When characters are given a movement command they all begin running in unison, perfectly synced.
  • Abilities granted by items are added to character's quick bar permanently after save/load cycle.

• Like 9

Yes.

After this next patch, are we going to be getting another BB version so we can contribute feedback/bug reports for the Day 0 patch ?

This will probably be the last backer beta that we do. Not sure how long we will keep everything open, though. We still need to talk about the particulars.

Yes.

After this next patch, are we going to be getting another BB version so we can contribute feedback/bug reports for the Day 0 patch ?

This will probably be the last backer beta that we do. Not sure how long we will keep everything open, though. We still need to talk about the particulars.

He said "probably" and this was posted on the 22nd of January, so maybe they can give us another update if this is the last?

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

I just uploaded 435 for Windows. I can't upload the other two platforms until tomorrow (because I have no way to test them at my house).

I only tested the build for about 10 minutes, but it should be fine since this is the one we were testing this afternoon. Let me know if anything seems off on this build.

• Like 3

A new backer beta build is live on all three platforms.

Yay, finally Linux support!

This info really shouldn't be hidden inside a post though, there should be an announcement thread with "Linux" in the title so that Linux backers will notice it, since I suspect many have stopped following the backer betas closely because they couldn't play them anyway.

• Like 4

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Can I suggest a hotfix of the Interrupt issue? It's meaningless to test the Attribute changes when one of the major changes was adding Interrupt to Perception, when the Interrupt mechanics are broken. A lot of relevant feedback will be either wrong, distorted or meaningless.

t50aJUd.jpg

My palladin spends first 3 seconds of every combat recasting his modals now, wonder if this is intended or a bug

It's intended. Modals are "combat only" abilities now. In the last build that meant you'd have to turn them on for each fight. In this one they just automatically recast them at the start of each fight.

Edit: Ninja'd

Edited by MasterPrudent

My palladin spends first 3 seconds of every combat recasting his modals now, wonder if this is intended or a bug

It's intended, although I think it should be changed back to how it used to be where modals are just always active.

If that's intended, that's completely and utterly crazy. Forcing someone to take time at the start of combat is an enormous gimping of the class concept. Mechanically, anyone is likely better off never taking any auras.

I cannot get over how completely insane the "Combat Only" system is, especially for auras. I just can't drop it, it swirls and swirls in my head, my jaw wants to drop to the floor and my eyes fill with red. It is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever encountered in an otherwise mostly qualitative game.

• Like 6

t50aJUd.jpg

If that's intended, that's completely and utterly crazy. Forcing someone to take time at the start of combat is an enormous gimping of the class concept. Mechanically, anyone is likely better off never taking any auras.

It's not that bad at all. It's an instantaneous cast and moving doesn't interrupt it.

• Like 1

Seems like a pretty nice build :)

But I agree that "Combat only" is a terrible concept that has no place in this game.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

No, it has an animation time and you can't initiate combat yourself and get the bonuses (which is the annoying bit - if I do a Sneak Attack as a Rogue from Stealth out of combat, I don't get the Reckless Assault bonus - which is a load of Bollocks).

• Like 5

Seems like a pretty nice build :)

But I agree that "Combat only" is a terrible concept that has no place in this game.

"Combat only" prevents one of the more glaring problems that existed in the IE games... Pre-buffing. Which besides being exasperating caused all sorts of balancing issues. Pre-buff parties were magnitudes more powerful than parties who went in unbuffed.

That being said, don't see any reason for modal abilities to be combat only.  

I disagree. Pre-buffing was always a deliberate choice on the player's part and never an issue one would casually run into. Pretty much like using cheat codes: They exist but nobody's forcing them on anyone.

"combat only" makes no in-game sense and severely gimps specific character builds for no value added.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus